Week 2 - Washington Commanders at Detroit Lions

Superduperman

Good W today.  Glad the defense stepped up and ended it.  That was needed for confidence and mindset going into the next game.  

Hopefully Hutch isn’t too hurt.  The pass rush really slipped with him out.  Also Okudah was noticeable when not on the field.  The young guys on D are playing well which is nice to see.  

Offense scoring 35 a game is impressive.  Will be fun when Jameo comes back and if our line can get healthy.  We left about 14 points out there in the first half too.  

A much needed early season win for sure.  Forward down the field!!!!!!

2 hours ago, diehardlionfan said:

The interior oline played much better than I expected. As a result the line played well. 

First half defence was impressive. 

TJ with an underwhelming performance. He needs to play much better.

ARSB does everything. Another really good game.

Good game. 

2nd string LG, 2nd string C, 3rd string RG, no Jamo, nothing from Hock or Chark. Offense put up 33 pts. 

No Romeo Okwara, no Amani Oruwariye, no Jerry Jacobs, no Levi Onwuzurike, no Josh Paschal, no Ifeatu Melifonwu, nothing from Brockers, nothing from LBs (outside of Rodrigo), nothing from Kerby Joseph. Defense shut out Washington in first half,got 6 sacks, a safety, multiple turnovers and controlled the game until going prevent in the third. 

This was a well planned game across the board. We got multiple guys (young guns) that stepped up huge today. Backup OL, Swift, ARSB, Hutch, McNeill, Harris, Rodrigo, Okudah, Elliott, Seibert, Fox, Raymond. 

This was a solid foundation building game. 

Edited by Louis Friend
  • Like 4

This was a good win against a team who I think has issues. It's good to see us play as we did with so many missing players. For the life of me though, I don't understand why we didn't stay aggressive in the 2nd half. It seemed like we got away from the run with Swift. Maybe they were letting him rest that ankle? I really would have liked to see them go more with Swift in the second half. This running attack is going to be wicked if we ever field 5 starters on the OL.

I'm really liking the improvement of Okudah's game. To date, he's our best corner, imo. We were missing Oruwariye this game although Harris didn't seem to be terrible (I expected worse), but I think it was Hughes who seemed to be allowing a bunch of big plays. In next years draft, depending where we are selecting, I think the three most important positions for us would be IDL, CB, WR/IOL and in that order. I think Goff is good enough to win. So I'd almost rather use our 2 picks to keep adding team talent than packaging up for a qb. If a qb falls, then so be it.

I liked Hutch's game and everyone knows I'm a huge fan of his, but I'm wondering if these sacks were not more because of Wentz than Hutch. Regardless, he got them.

I'm pretty much over Hockenson. He can walk when his contract is up as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't seem like a guy that is hungry. To me, he's the polar opposite of St. Brown.

The youth on this team is fantastic. I like what Holmes is doing. It seems like his only misses are guys who are injured coming out. High risk reward types. I'm excited to see this offense once Jameson Williams joins the team, but honestly I don't think he will have that great of an impact until next year.

I'm super excited about next weeks game. I still have questions and doubts about this team this year. I think next weeks game will give me the answers I want. I still think at best we are a .500 team especially if we can't stay healthy on the Oline.

I love our ST play. I think this was the first game in a long time I've seen the Lions play well on all 3 units.

I really like how this team is being built.  I think this team is really going to make a push next year. 

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

This was a good win against a team who I think has issues. It's good to see us play as we did with so many missing players. For the life of me though, I don't understand why we didn't stay aggressive in the 2nd half. It seemed like we got away from the run with Swift. Maybe they were letting him rest that ankle? I really would have liked to see them go more with Swift in the second half. This running attack is going to be wicked if we ever field 5 starters on the OL.

I'm really liking the improvement of Okudah's game. To date, he's our best corner, imo. We were missing Oruwariye this game although Harris didn't seem to be terrible (I expected worse), but I think it was Hughes who seemed to be allowing a bunch of big plays. In next years draft, depending where we are selecting, I think the three most important positions for us would be IDL, CB, WR/IOL and in that order. I think Goff is good enough to win. So I'd almost rather use our 2 picks to keep adding team talent than packaging up for a qb. If a qb falls, then so be it.

I liked Hutch's game and everyone knows I'm a huge fan of his, but I'm wondering if these sacks were not more because of Wentz than Hutch. Regardless, he got them.

I'm pretty much over Hockenson. He can walk when his contract is up as far as I'm concerned. He doesn't seem like a guy that is hungry. To me, he's the polar opposite of St. Brown.

The youth on this team is fantastic. I like what Holmes is doing. It seems like his only misses are guys who are injured coming out. High risk reward types. I'm excited to see this offense once Jameson Williams joins the team, but honestly I don't think he will have that great of an impact until next year.

I'm super excited about next weeks game. I still have questions and doubts about this team this year. I think next weeks game will give me the answers I want. I still think at best we are a .500 team especially if we can't stay healthy on the Oline.

I love our ST play. I think this was the first game in a long time I've seen the Lions play well on all 3 units.

I really like how this team is being built.  I think this team is really going to make a push next year. 

I think Swift's injury led us to not running him when we were up big.  He only had 5 carries for 56 yards and one of those carries was for 50 yards.  Williams was running well too as was Reynolds so I am somewhat shocked at how little we ran in the second half.  

Agreed on liking Okudah's growth.  It shows that he has coaches that seem to be better at putting him in situations to excel.  The broadcasters mentioned as soon as he came back in, we went back to man and he shut his guy down.  Patricia ran zone primarily even though his best attribute in college was playing man.  So nice to see DC and company doing as they said and not being stuck in any specific scheme. 

I agree on Hock.  I think he is a solid TE, but he won't ever be what we drafted him to be.  Lookin gat free agent TE contracts, even the average/aging guys are getting 10-12M a year and I just don't think its smart to invest that much in the position.  I would like to see Mitchell develop although he is yet to be active for a game yet but he is just a year removed from the knee injury so likely getting up to speed.  Also would be for drafting one earlier (2-4th round) and get a year of development before letting Hock leave.  

I disagree on biggest needs.  Definitely interior line but am hoping to see some of Paschal soon and maybe Onwuzurike can get healthy.  Interior O line is important but I think LB is our second biggest need.  We just are not good at that spot.  Rodrigo played well, and I think he can be a solid LB but Anzalone is not it and Barnes is not progressing.  We need an influx of talent there to protect that middle of the field.  CB and WR are on the list but our WR group is solid and young once Williams comes back.  We don't need to invest early picks with ARSB and Jameo as starters and Reynolds as a third WR.  Definitely could upgrade the depth but not at the expense of missing on defensive help.  This offense is showing how potent they can be and would love to build the D into a similar power.  

I also agree that if Goff continues to play like he did yesterday, we can ride with him for another year or two.  He made some bad plays and left points out there that could have completely crushed them early (the third and fourth down early at the goal line were bad throws/decisions) but he picked himself up and made some great throws as well.  I just want to see more consistency from him because the three and four straight possessions going 3 and out are not going to fly. 

I don't think we are a .500 team yet, but we also aren't lay downs and easy wins anymore, but many of the easier games on our schedule are teams in a similar situation to us.  I hope we get to 7 or 8 wins at least and keep building.  Any more than that will be gravy and will bring an exciting offseason with big expectations next year.  

58 minutes ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I disagree on biggest needs.  Definitely interior line but am hoping to see some of Paschal soon and maybe Onwuzurike can get healthy.  Interior O line is important but I think LB is our second biggest need.  We just are not good at that spot.  Rodrigo played well, and I think he can be a solid LB but Anzalone is not it and Barnes is not progressing.  We need an influx of talent there to protect that middle of the field.  CB and WR are on the list but our WR group is solid and young once Williams comes back.  We don't need to invest early picks with ARSB and Jameo as starters and Reynolds as a third WR.  Definitely could upgrade the depth but not at the expense of missing on defensive help.  This offense is showing how potent they can be and would love to build the D into a similar power.  

I also agree that if Goff continues to play like he did yesterday, we can ride with him for another year or two.  He made some bad plays and left points out there that could have completely crushed them early (the third and fourth down early at the goal line were bad throws/decisions) but he picked himself up and made some great throws as well.  I just want to see more consistency from him because the three and four straight possessions going 3 and out are not going to fly. 

I will definitely concede that LB and Safety are bigger needs. However when writing what I did, I was considering this article https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/05/detroit-lions-brad-holmes-draft-history-no-value-in-linebackers/.

We could be losing Chark next year and in order to make sure Goff succeeds, we are going to have to surround him with good receivers. I want that stable going and when an injury occurs, I want the depth. Right now, it seems like it is primarily the Swift and St. Brown show. Chark has done nothing. Keeping the stable going on Oline and WR is going to be huge with Goff on offense.
Is WR more important than OL? For me no. Is it more important than D, nope. And by listing it in 3rd or 4th, that's where I'd want the position drafted to keep up the stables. So back end of second through the 4th round. I would really like in our first three picks next year to be more defense minded. I'd love a great LB or safety prospect in the first two rounds, but no way do I think Holmes is going to do that.

So like it or not, I think the highest we select a LB is right where we took Barnes. The highest we take Safety is right where we took Joseph.  I don't see Holmes varying from that much.

Edited by LionArkie

6 minutes ago, LionArkie said:

I will definitely concede that LB and Safety are bigger needs. However when writing what I did, I was considering this article https://lionswire.usatoday.com/2022/09/05/detroit-lions-brad-holmes-draft-history-no-value-in-linebackers/.

We could be losing Chark next year and in order to make sure Goff succeeds, we are going to have to surround him with good receivers. I want that stable going and when an injury occurs, I want the depth. Right now, it seems like it is primarily the Swift and St. Brown show. Chark has done nothing. Keeping the stable going on Oline and WR is going to be huge with Goff on offense.
Is WR more important than OL? For me no. Is it more important than D, nope. And by listing it in 3rd or 4th, that's where I'd want the position drafted to keep up the stables. So back end of second through the 4th round. I would really like in our first three picks next year to be more defense minded. I'd love a great LB or safety prospect in the first two rounds, but no way do I think Holmes is going to do that.

So like it or not, I think the highest we select a LB is right where we took Barnes. The highest we take Safety is right where we took Joseph.  I don't see Holmes varying from that much.

It makes sense but yeah, the position is a huge need still.  If we do not draft high, I hope we add some better options in free agency.  Doesnt have to be a stud but something better than Board and Jarad Davis who can't beat out Anzalone. Maybe if Noah Sewell falls to our second, Penei can talk them into grabbing him but like you said, I don't expect it.  But they have to see how bad our LBs are and address it or not put them out there. 

I fully expect to lose Chark unless he really enjoys it here and signs a longer term deal that is less than what he makes per year now.  Especially given his low production.  But also I think we can find guys later that fit that mold and can be solid 4th/5th WRs.  Reynolds is not an ideal 3rd but he is good enough.  We just put up 33 and 35 points on offense with four WRs getting targeted with 8 catches between our WRs not named ARSB.  We obviously don't need a slew of elite WR but do have hopefully another elite one rehabbing that will allow us to still be productive if one of the starters goes down. After that having solid mid round guys that have potential, like ARSB, is all we need to fill in the depth.  Too many holes on D still to go early at WR.  I'd much rather grab more OL and DL depth than another early WR.   

• Like 2

I think the most encouraging thing about this game was the things we did well, were things this team can duplicate game to game. Outside of Aidan's 3 sacks, no one did anything outlandishly well. ARSB did what he's done his previous 8 games. Swift did what he's capable of doing. Goff did what he's been doing since getting rid of Anthony Lynn. Our OL has been doing what they do no matter who is out there. Our DL is applying pressure up front.

The things we did poorly, were things we can correct moving forward with simple tweaks. 

Will be interesting to watch Philly vs Vikings tonight. The team we faced last week versus the team we play next week. I'm expecting a loss next week, but I have no doubt we will compete. 

I didn't get to watch the game yesterday. I just looked on PFF to see how they graded some of the Lions. 

Jared Goff 20/34, 256 yards, 4 TD's, 0 INT, 3 Sacks = 61.6 OVR?

Did PFF do JG dirty? 

Wentz was sacked 5 times, had 1 INT, 1 less TD 80 more yards (playing down from 22 points, so they're gonna throw) and had him at 57.4 after a loss.