Week 3: Packers @ Tampa Bay Bucs - PG: Packers WIN 14-12, Move to 2-1!

FAH1223

Through the tape on this one:

QB: Thought Rodgers was at his rapid fire, elite self in the first half. There's no team or defense that can stop him when he's not getting pressured and plays within the 3 or 5 step game. 2nd half, they played less Nunez-Roches and more Logan Hall and were able to collapse the inside of the pocket a bit more. Rodgers missed some throws that could've moved some drives along (most notably the crosser to Jones that he threw to Davis instead, and the free play to Cobb that he should've let go 3 seconds earlier for a 30 yard gain). Overall, this was his best performance of the season, and looked more like his MVP self. The pick by Logan Ryan was an incredibly disguised cover 2 robber. Crafty move by a vet DB.

RB: Thought Jones handedly outplayed Dillon. Not overly impressed with AJ's vision in this one, he ran into the backs of his OL where there was a lane a gap or two over 2-3 times. I'm ready to relegate him back to RB2 and give him 30-40% of the snaps, Jonesy is hot right now and needs the ball. 

WR: If this group plays like that every week and we add back a healthy Watkins and Watson, we'll be just fine. Randy looked 28 again, Doubs is so crafty for a rook and Lazard is just a bully that seems to know how to make a play when we need one. Still need to iron out some assignment and route landmark issues, but this position is trending up.

TE: This was the best week for the TE's. Lewis is still a monster blocking, might as well call him OL6. Deguara is becoming quite the blocker himself, want to see more I-Form with him at FB, or motion plays that give him a running start into the assigned gap. Davis had his best game as a pro, looked entirely competent as a blocker and ran some nice routes in the action game. Tonyan was a dud. Looked like TE4 out there, mediocre in the blocking game, pass game looks like he's running in cement. Would like to see more snaps for Davis and Deguara going forward. Tonyan isn't himself.

OL: I'd rank their performance: Bakh-Myers-Newman-Nijman-Runyan-Jenkins. Bakh was incredible, I had one negative graded play out of what. almost 30? Was like he never was gone. Myers can move and move people, against any team without a Devin White at LB, he would've sprung some big runs reaching 2nd level. Newman is surprisingly quick, and has been great in the run game, he just cannot figure out the IDL/EDGE games, struggled mightily last year and is only incrementally better this year. Nijman is just a solid LT, will never be great but is certainly one of the best 25 LT's in the game. Runyan I would say hasn't regressed or gained anything this year, as Tom and Rhyan develop, he risks finding himself on the bench. Jenkins continues to look rusty, thought he could've been called for a couple holds, got beat quite a bit and isn't sustaining blocks very well, good to have him back, but he looks like a guy who hasn't played in awhile.

DL: Clark is playing at an All-Pro level, it's almost hard to grade the rest of the DL because of the ridiculous standard he sets. Reed and Lowry have up and down moments, but they have been formidable enough. Slaton can eat blockers, but rush reps are still boom or bust. Wyatt needs some more 3rd down reps.

ILB: Campbell's best game by far this year, can take him off the milk carton. Still, I can lineup my athletic TE or slot on him and run a 5 yard out and it's a guaranteed completion. Walker had some coverage lapses that resulted in Fournette being wide open, but he continues the flash all over the field. Keep getting him reps and this duo could be downright special come December/Jan.

DB's: Savage and Amos in large part remain invisible (which is better than their week 1 performance by far). Amos did have a nice TFL on a checkdown that he deserves props for. Stokes and Douglas have gotten better every week, lot of swagger between those two, keep giving them man reps. Nixon looks like he might be a nice little find for us, clearly depth that can get you out of a game.

STs: Um.....no complaints at all. 😮

Final Observation: Devin White and Lavonte David are so freaking good, man I'd hate to be a playcaller going against them. You simply cannot get them reached. There were 3-4 plays we blocked the front for an explosive play but only gained 5-6 yards because one of David or White were there in the end. Then you can put them in the slot and cover any TE/RB without concern, and they get so much depth so quickly on their deeper zone drops. I can see why the Quay Walker's of the world are going to go from top 60 picks, to top 25 picks. If your ILB can stay on the field and be a strength all 3 downs, what a weapon that is. 

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Refugee said:

Mid season mercenaries I agree you can ignore some issues as long as we’re not talking AB levels of crazy. If you get them in the building and they fit with the team concept, you talk extension. Even if they don’t fit, hopefully you still have Andre Rison catching SB TDs for you. The young guys will still get a chance to grow and hopefully Sammy Watkins can come back and help for the stretch, but I’m not giving him a long term deal. 

I'm content letting Sammy be Sammy this year on that deal, too.

Also...not opposed to doing another deal like that for him next year if he produces while on the field.

I certainly want more from a WR, but on that contract, it really is fine.

3 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I'm content letting Sammy be Sammy this year on that deal, too.

Also...not opposed to doing another deal like that for him next year if he produces while on the field.

I certainly want more from a WR, but on that contract, it really is fine.

Agreed, especially with the more flexible IR. If he goes down with a “short term” injury you can shut him down for as little  as 4 weeks and use the open spot. Bring him back when it makes sense. 

• Like 1