Week 3: Packers @ Tampa Bay Bucs - PG: Packers WIN 14-12, Move to 2-1!

FAH1223

2 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

How confident are you (and why, with examples) are you sure the change in our offense was because of the play calling and not the execution after the first two drives?

I bet if you go back and re-watch it, you're going to see some missed opportunities from Rodgers after the first three drives that he didn't miss on the drives that worked.

At least one drive was killed by throwing the guy dragging left (tonyan i think) when someone was dragging to the right was open (idk who).

Jones fumble not rodgers fault, kindat the result of a two guy system. Jones wanted to be the one to score but it was unnecessarily risky.

As i previously mentioned, i think someone ran the wrong route on the deep ball to winfree, otherwise it could have been great.

Rodgers should have hit cobb for 15 on the free play instead of a 40 yard toss. Missed chance.

Execution did seem to be a bigger problem than the calls until the last drive. Probably could have just ran it more.

Also, good on TE davis for making a play when his number got called. I would still like to see more tonyan

58 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

You seem to think the only way to win in the nfl is through sheer speed? 

You find ways to catch the defense out and hit them with things they don't expect. That's what MLFs entire system is predicated on, and what we managed to do in the first half. Then we flopped horrendously at it in the second by trying the exact same thing over and over and over and giving the ball right back to them every single time because Bowles and every single player in their defense knew what was coming long before the ball was snapped.

We played weak and afraid on offense, while Joe Barry got the lads on the defense to keep digging deeper and deeper into the tank no matter how gassed they were after so many tiny breaks to rest, which is the reason we won this game.

Me thinks you complain to much.  Weak and afraid?  Playing without 2 decent wr's, in 95 degree heat vs a top 3 defense on their home field.  If Jones doesn't fumble on the 3 yard line it's another 3 minimum and maybe 7.  It's an offense in an early learning phase and they pull out a win like that.  To bad you aren't pleased with that but get real .. it was sweet.   

29 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

At least one drive was killed by throwing the guy dragging left (tonyan i think) when someone was dragging to the right was open (idk who).

Jones fumble not rodgers fault, kindat the result of a two guy system. Jones wanted to be the one to score but it was unnecessarily risky.

As i previously mentioned, i think someone ran the wrong route on the deep ball to winfree, otherwise it could have been great.

Rodgers should have hit cobb for 15 on the free play instead of a 40 yard toss. Missed chance.

Execution did seem to be a bigger problem than the calls until the last drive. Probably could have just ran it more.

Also, good on TE davis for making a play when his number got called. I would still like to see more tonyan

Rodgers said he should have thrown Jones a better ball. Threw it behind him. He also said Doubs ran the wrong route on the play where he and Winfree ran into each other.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheEagle said:

Rodgers said he should have thrown Jones a better ball. Threw it behind him. He also said Doubs ran the wrong route on the play where he and Winfree ran into each other.

Dillon also dropped a first down. The Jones ball was okay, a 350 lb hit Jones. 

Edited by PackFan13

8 hours ago, coachbuns said:

Me thinks you complain to much.  Weak and afraid?  Playing without 2 decent wr's, in 95 degree heat vs a top 3 defense on their home field.  If Jones doesn't fumble on the 3 yard line it's another 3 minimum and maybe 7.  It's an offense in an early learning phase and they pull out a win like that.  To bad you aren't pleased with that but get real .. it was sweet.   

I'm very pleased with the win actually. 

Our defense played fantastic throughout bar the last drive (though still got the crucial stop in the two pointer). 

Put special teams was really good, especially punts and their coverage. Only complaint was Rodgers fair catch with piles of space, though that's not exactly a huge problem. Possibly the block in the back though it was an iffy-ish call. That was the best gunner play I've seen in 20 years watching the Packers. 

Even the offense, as I've already said, showed us they can be really good against top defenses without Adams in the first half. Up to Jones' fumble we were playing borderline perfect on that side of the ball. 

My gripe is with what happened after the fumble, especially as we've seen it multiple times before. MLF when found out during a game had nothing else to go to (which has been a consistent issue when faced with this scenario) and the entire offense looked scared out there. They repeatedly tried the exact same things even after they had failed over and over before. We need to be able to adapt during games, and as much as MLF had been excellent and a huge improvement on his predecessor, that is, something he still has not shown. 

That, and the fact the poster I was responding to thinks MLF had a better game coaching yesterday than Joe Barry, which I'm honestly having a hard time taking serious. 

4 minutes ago, Billy86 said:

I'm very pleased with the win actually. 

Our defense played fantastic throughout bar the last drive (though still got the crucial stop in the two pointer). 

Put special teams was really good, especially punts and their coverage. Only complaint was Rodgers fair catch with piles of space, though that's not exactly a huge problem. Possibly the block in the back though it was an iffy-ish call. That was the best gunner play I've seen in 20 years watching the Packers. 

Even the offense, as I've already said, showed us they can be really good against top defenses without Adams in the first half. Up to Jones' fumble we were playing borderline perfect on that side of the ball. 

My gripe is with what happened after the fumble, especially as we've seen it multiple times before. MLF when found out during a game had nothing else to go to (which has been a consistent issue when faced with this scenario) and the entire offense looked scared out there. They repeatedly tried the exact same things even after they had failed over and over before. We need to be able to adapt during games, and as much as MLF had been excellent and a huge improvement on his predecessor, that is, something he still has not shown. 

That, and the fact the poster I was responding to thinks MLF had a better game coaching yesterday than Joe Barry, which I'm honestly having a hard time taking serious. 

Agree with most of your thoughts.  However, this is a pretty young/new bunch of wr's trying to get used to NFL game experience.  When you take away a wr like Adams the passing game will and does change.  TB run defense is fantastic especially when it's 95 degrees.  With the 2 fastest, field stretching wr's not even playing for GB it was short stuff passing only.  Agree, MLF has to get better at adapting to game situations but his options were somewhat limited by player injuries and a hell of a tough defense.  The next 3-4 games should give the Packers more time to work on this "problem".

9 hours ago, incognito_man said:

How confident are you (and why, with examples) are you sure the change in our offense was because of the play calling and not the execution after the first two drives?

I bet if you go back and re-watch it, you're going to see some missed opportunities from Rodgers after the first three drives that he didn't miss on the drives that worked.

It's a mix of both. The run plays toward the outside on first down were setting us up for failure against probably the best team around at stopping that stuff, and after that they were able to pin their ears back and go after Rodgers where we just didn't seem to have any answers to make then pay/keep them honest.

It's definitely on the players too for execution, but when that execution is repeatedly not happening you need to try to get them to do something else rather than continuously trying the same thing and expecting different results. We tried a bit of that on the last drive and while we didn't get into scoring range, we at least moved the ball and got the defense some actual time to breathe. 

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Agree with most of your thoughts.  However, this is a pretty young/new bunch of wr's trying to get used to NFL game experience.  When you take away a wr like Adams the passing game will and does change.  TB run defense is fantastic especially when it's 95 degrees.  With the 2 fastest, field stretching wr's not even playing for GB it was short stuff passing only.  Agree, MLF has to get better at adapting to game situations but his options were somewhat limited by player injuries and a hell of a tough defense.  The next 3-4 games should give the Packers more time to work on this "problem".

Oh definitely re the pass catchers and conditions. Just want to clarify I'm not complaininga bout us not putting up 20+ points in the second half, moreso our inability to find any way to move the ball at all which put an immense strain on our defense especially in the conditions. Half the poor feckers were probably looking for the IV drip as soon as they got in the locker room! 😂

I forgot our schedule, checked after the whistle, and definitely felt good.

Doubs got himself off to an early start on that front last night, he was very impressive! I'm not at all saying he is or likely will ever be as good as Davante, but he showed soem similar smarts and traits out there which is a HUGE positive take away on the offensive side of the ball. With Watkins and Watson stretching things deep he could do big things even as a rookie. Who knows if he improves more, hits a wall, etc etc but off just the first 3 games he's on pace for 79 catches and 780yds. I was excited about him but would have been quite happy with 35 for 500 on the season. Also, 14 catches on 16 targets. 

12 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

I feel if the run game ain't working then the Packers shouldn't run Dillon much, he lacks the wiggle Jones has. It always felt when Dillon got the ball this ain't going nowhere.

Every now and then, Dillon will show a glimpse of slicing through a gap, but it does seem like alot of times he just runs into the back of his OL, or simply gets the yards that are blocked & not much more. He doesn’t seem to have that AJones superhuman ability to make something out of nothing & slip through the tiniest cracks, or to effectively (quickly) bounce when there is a big logjam at the hole