Week 3 GDT: San Francisco 49ers @ Denver Broncos

paul-mac

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Amazing job by our defense and special teams to keep us in it. Offense continues to derail after finding success. Going to be a great second half.

i'll take an ugly win......

very disappointed that the offense continues to be so disjointed 

I know all are feeling doom and gloom right now, but that was incredibly encouraging to me. Game management is infinitely better and our run game has shown signs of being a legit threat against a great defense. Now, there is still a ways to go, but those are the growing pains I expected from the get go of an offense with a new HC/OC and QB with no preseason. It's definitely not great but there is definitely observable progress imo. Hopefully we can make some plays in the second half and come away with this W while working through our issues. 

• Like 1

We are playing against a defense where it at least seems like our offensive struggles are more acceptable, but it would be nice to be able to be excited about our offense for a change. I don't know many more wasted defensive performances I can stand to watch lol

A lot of offensive struggles around the league so far this year to be honest.  

A few halftime thoughts as I'm at the Main Forum GDT (posted there as well):

1.   DEN's vulnerability on 1st down and 2nd/short is so stark.   SF stays there, they'll be better.  It's 2nd/3rd and long, DEN's pass rush and coverage giving SF problems.   And yes, PS2 is a monster - an island onto himself.

2.  On the flip side, DEN is wasting plays with MG3 running up the middle.  So what do we do?  We call it 4x in the first 3 drives...and 1st down after that massive momentum swinging improv with Russell Wilson.    It's so frustrating.   The 3 pts Shanny gave us by declining we gave right back with that play call, followed by the Sutton drop, and the Wilson sack.  That 1Q play calling plan was UNBELIEVABLY UGLY (as much as SF's was genius on the 2nd/3rd drive)

3.   The SF pass rush is giving our OL fits; Garrett Bolles is not having a good night. 

4.  Both ST's have played really well.   Which is honestly surprising for us.   Same as the lack of penalties.  Hope it continues for us in the 2H.

5.   The DEN O could stand to go tempo (and that doesn't mean just pass) - with Javonte Williams in the backfield for 70+ percent of the snaps.  STOP with Mike Boone/MG3 unless he's gassed (then OK).  Ride or die with your best guys.

Still, we're lucky to be down 7-3.  SF was threatening to blow the doors off us in the 1Q.    The opening possession will be huge - it was a big letdown to not get points (and a TD would let the O and crowd exhale given our RZ futility so far).