Scouting the NFL 2023 Draft Prospects

KingTitan

15 minutes ago, Justin615$ said:

Wouldn't surprise me at all. Fulton probably gone after this year and Farley is just a massive L for us.

Exactly I’ve been saying if Gonzalez or Witherspoon are there it wouldn’t shock me if we pulled the trigger honestly.. I’d understand the thinking 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, -Hope- said:

Just saw that article. But,  I ain't paying to read it. lol

Still like him. I'm assuming its about the offense and more of the things he needs to work on?

That's cool. I'm still a believer in his work ethic and athletic traits he's shown. I keep referencing the Mike Martz video but it was real assuring to me with the examples shown. 

If we take him, I'd be happy. 

8 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Just saw that article. But,  I ain't paying to read it. lol

Still like him. I'm assuming its about the offense and more of the things he needs to work on?

That's cool. I'm still a believer in his work ethic and athletic traits he's shown. I keep referencing the Mike Martz video but it was real assuring to me with the examples shown. 

long story short, the bread and butter of heupel's offense is basically single-read deep option routes that require the QB to lock onto one receiver from the get-go, and if that single WR isn't open, you scramble or check down. pretty much antithetical to an nfl offense. 

people compare richardson to malik willis, but hooker is probably the closest to him in this draft class in terms of what they're prepared to do in an nfl offense. there's practically nothing to work with there in terms of getting through progressions and throwing with anticipation. if we want to take him with a mid-round pick, whatever, but blowing a first or second on a 25 year old with a learning curve almost as steep as the project player we just drafted last year would be insane.

33 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

long story short, the bread and butter of heupel's offense is basically single-read deep option routes that require the QB to lock onto one receiver from the get-go, and if that single WR isn't open, you scramble or check down. pretty much antithetical to an nfl offense. 

people compare richardson to malik willis, but hooker is probably the closest to him in this draft class in terms of what they're prepared to do in an nfl offense. there's practically nothing to work with there in terms of getting through progressions and throwing with anticipation. if we want to take him with a mid-round pick, whatever, but blowing a first or second on a 25 year old with a learning curve almost as steep as the project player we just drafted last year would be insane.

Eh, Comparisons to Malik is where they really lose me.  I don't see that at all. 

And hearing Kurt Warner, Mike Martz, Greg Cosell and other evaluators I think have some credit say that he can make the jump successfully, I have no reservations. 

I understand the knock against the offense, but I've seen examples of anticipation and working through progressions.  Even if it's half field read.  Which leads me to something Martz said, (summarizing) " We don't ask QBs to make full field reads often. If they are reading the full field, then something went wrong with the play."  

He mastered what he was asked to do at UT and I'm just going to trust the multiple people that have said he is very bright and can master whatever he is asked to do in the NFL. 
One of the main problems with Malik is that he wouldn't throw it. Hooker, will through it when he hits that back step.

But from those people i mentioned, they think Hooker won't be asked to do anything he can't do without problems. The main reason they think he needs to sit for a year is because of the injury, not his ability to play in the league. 

12 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Eh, Comparisons to Malik is where they really lose me.  I don't see that at all. 

And hearing Kurt Warner, Mike Martz, Greg Cosell and other evaluators I think have some credit say that he can make the jump successfully, I have no reservations. 

I understand the knock against the offense, but I've seen examples of anticipation and working through progressions.  Even if it's half field read.  Which leads me to something Martz said, (summarizing) " We don't ask QBs to make full field reads often. If they are reading the full field, then something went wrong with the play."  

He mastered what he was asked to do at UT and I'm just going to trust the multiple people that have said he is very bright and can master whatever he is asked to do in the NFL. 
One of the main problems with Malik is that he wouldn't throw it. Hooker, will through it when he hits that back step.

But from those people i mentioned, they think Hooker won't be asked to do anything he can't do without problems. The main reason they think he needs to sit for a year is because of the injury, not his ability to play in the league. 

everyone said all of these things about willis. bright, great character, quick learner. it doesn't change the fact that there's an absolute chasm between what they had to do in college and what they'll have to do in the pros that is greater than most of the other QBs in the draft class. hooker is further along mechanically no doubt, which means he'll have less to think about on the field and will probably pick things up faster. but he's also 25 and considerably less physically talented than willis. malik didn't throw the ball because he didn't trust what he was seeing and didn't trust his mechanics. hooker might have his mechanics under control (though he has work to do there as well), but there's not much reason to expect him to know what he's seeing either.

at the end of the day, even in the absolute best-case scenario with hooker, he doesn't offer anything a guy like tannehill doesn't. he's not a special, game-changing talent. that PLUS the learning curve makes him uniquely unappealing to me when the top 4 QB prospects all have traits that could vault them into elite QB status *and* have shown more translatable skills for an nfl quarterback. he's geno smith at absolute best, and his floor is pretty low- and that's before we factor in age and the injury. i wouldn't take him before round 3.

28 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

everyone said all of these things about willis. bright, great character, quick learner. it doesn't change the fact that there's an absolute chasm between what they had to do in college and what they'll have to do in the pros that is greater than most of the other QBs in the draft class. hooker is further along mechanically no doubt, which means he'll have less to think about on the field and will probably pick things up faster. but he's also 25 and considerably less physically talented than willis. malik didn't throw the ball because he didn't trust what he was seeing and didn't trust his mechanics. hooker might have his mechanics under control (though he has work to do there as well), but there's not much reason to expect him to know what he's seeing either.

at the end of the day, even in the absolute best-case scenario with hooker, he doesn't offer anything a guy like tannehill doesn't. he's not a special, game-changing talent. that PLUS the learning curve makes him uniquely unappealing to me when the top 4 QB prospects all have traits that could vault them into elite QB status *and* have shown more translatable skills for an nfl quarterback. he's geno smith at absolute best, and his floor is pretty low- and that's before we factor in age and the injury. i wouldn't take him before round 3.

All good. 

I along with most of the talking heads disagree with your stance. I feel confident he will be a least a very early 2nd round pick and could go as high as top 20. 

I feel he is miles and miles ahead of where Malik finished the season, let along where he started. 

So i guess file it under we shall see. 

1 hour ago, KingTitan said:

All good. 

I along with most of the talking heads disagree with your stance. I feel confident he will be a least a very early 2nd round pick and could go as high as top 20. 

I feel he is miles and miles ahead of where Malik finished the season, let along where he started. 

So i guess file it under we shall see. 

That’s because you’re looking at Malik playing in a offense not suitable to his strengths you’re judging Malik from playing in a pro style offense he was setup to fail from the start 

21 hours ago, 615finest said:

It’s the part of draft season where wild stories start coming out.. I think teams trying to get him to fall

Yeah, it's misinformation season.  I'll believe that Stroud falls past pick number 2 when I see it.

5 hours ago, KingTitan said:

In fairness, I'm pretty sure you've said this about every projected first round QB this offseason.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Daniel said:

In fairness, I'm pretty sure you've said this about every projected first round QB this offseason.

Lol yeah I've found reason to be happy with about every QB. I make no secret that i just want a new QB, even if it's Malik lol

I just want to try something new and hope to catch lighting with a prospect. 

Outside of Stroud/Young.
I'd rank it:

Hooker
Richardson
Levis

I think Richardson will end up being the most talented. I'd hope to be able to trade down and pick up Hooker if I could.
I believe in  Hooker the most outside of the top two. 

I love Hooker the most out of all of them. But I recognize that Stroud/Young are better as it stands now. 

Just want to make a statement about progressions.

I think a lot of times when people think of progressions, they think of someone going from one side of the field to the other. 

But looking at video, that's not the case with a lot of QBs.

Looked at 2020 Deshaun Watson with Tim Kelly. A lot of one read, one side of the field looks. The scramble is where some of those other side of field throws came into play.
Looked at 2021 tannehill, a lot of the same. Play action, one side of the field (flood type concepts, meaning multiple WRs crossing the QB's eyes).

Even Tom Brady same thing. 

The big thing is being smart enough to recognize a defense and know where to go with the ball. Know where you want to attack.  

Us of all people, know how rare it is to have time just to scan the routes in front of you and then flip to the other side and see the others. 

UT offense with Hooker had him read certain defenders and routes. I think he did it well. I think he could learn NFL ways just the same. 

Smoke screen season!!! Nobody ever has an idea of what the Titans wanna do…

I’d be pretty disappointed if we took a pass rusher at 11 lol but I understand with Landry coming back from an ACL..but offense shoulda definitely be the focus of this draft unless we aiming for a top pick next year lol

Edited by 615finest