Week 4: Patriots @ Packers (4:25 ET on CBS) - PG: Packers WIN 27-24 in OT; Move to 3-1!

FAH1223

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

The fact that the Packers didn't shut Alexander down for practice today suggests they are serious about giving him the chance to play Sunday. Would be pretty surprising to me to see him play after a groin injury last Sunday. 

I think the decision might come down to playing NE with a lower tier offense and passing game possibly without Mac Jones, sitting Jaire might be the best thing long term

12 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

...The only thing the Packers have to do is hold up vs the run against 2 pretty good backs and a decent O-line ...

Packers don't even have to be excellent vs the run, just decent and they should get out with a win.

I agree on this.  They don't need to be excellent, just be decent.  That's kinda for Sunday, and for most any other game.  Be variably anti-awful.  

I thought that was true last week in Tampa, and I expect it will be variably true Sunday and for most of the season. 

Personnel-wise,I admit I don't really understand why our run defense should need to be awful?  D-line: Clark and Slaton are big strong guys, and Reed and Lowry should be smart experienced vets.  (Even Wyatt, a quick athletic 1st-rounder should be fine.)  Why should the d-line get dominated in run?  OLB:  Gary is a powerful set-the-edge guy, and Preston should be OK on his side.  Maybe the depth guys are vulnerable, but mostly the OLB should be able to set the edges and contribute well to run defense, no?  ILB:  Quay is big, fast and physical.  I anticipate he should become a useful force in the run, eventually.  And Campbell is smart, fundamental, and has a strong reputation as a good tackler.  So, I guess I don't understand where the problem arises, and why it should need to remain a big problem?  

Chicago game was gross, but I'm anticipating that to have been something of an anomaly and kinda fluky.  I think the run defense might be anti-awful Sunday and beyond.  

12 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

...32 carries for 125 yards to Cook and Fournette ...

Bears caught us in nickel in the 4th Q and had 94 yards on 8 carries. Take out that series and we've allowed 247 yards on 59 carries. 4.18 ypc. Not exactly amazing, but that's tied for 12th in the league....

Thanks, those are some helpful numbers and synopsis.  

18 minutes ago, packfanfb said:
The fact that the Packers didn't shut Alexander down for practice today suggests they are serious about giving him the chance to play Sunday. Would be pretty surprising to me to see him play after a groin injury last Sunday. 

Cool that Jaire's availability is even worth discussing.  Whether he plays or not this Sunday, I love that he's not months or multiple weeks away.  

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

Any idea if Jenkins practiced today? I know he was off one day this week and think it was scheduled day off. 

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

If 32 carries for 125 yards to Cook and Fournette is the worst run D you've seen in the last 10 years among contenders, might be time to see an optometrist.

? I'm speaking to the history of the team.  If we're using the ol' eye test, this is what GB has been for the past 10 years - a team willing to be a bad run D in favor of defending the pass.

what is with people and reading comprehension on this site.

1 minute ago, skibrett15 said:

? I'm speaking to the history of the team.  If we're using the ol' eye test, this is what GB has been for the past 10 years - a team willing to be a bad run D in favor of defending the pass.

what is with people and reading comprehension on this site.

"going by the eye test, this is the worst run defense of any contending team the last 10 years."

Hard to comprehend a very poorly written sentence.

Just now, Packerraymond said:

"going by the eye test, this is the worst run defense of any contending team the last 10 years."

Hard to comprehend a very poorly written sentence.

I suppose I should have said "is and has been"

moving on from semantics...

Packers this year are a team built to defend skilled players.  NE will try to win with brute force.  Now, if GB can build a lead this probably won't work that well, but assuming the offense continues to sputter, I would expect to see 2-3 TEs on a lot of series from NE along with multiple backs getting 15 carries.  That's the recipe for NE to win this game -forcing fewer DBs onto the field.

25 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I suppose I should have said "is and has been"

moving on from semantics...

Packers this year are a team built to defend skilled players.  NE will try to win with brute force.  Now, if GB can build a lead this probably won't work that well, but assuming the offense continues to sputter, I would expect to see 2-3 TEs on a lot of series from NE along with multiple backs getting 15 carries.  That's the recipe for NE to win this game -forcing fewer DBs onto the field.

Packers D is built to stop anyone, just depends on who you have/want on the field as players 9-11. Clark, Reed, Slaton, Gary, Smith, Campbell, Walker is going to be hard to run on. Clark, Lowry, Gary, Smith, Campbell, Walker, Nixon, Douglas is going to be easier.

Bears caught us in the 4th Q with a light front and ran it down our throat. I have a feeling Jaire sits this game out and we run a lot of 7/8 man boxes and hope Stokes and Douglas hold up outside.

43 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Packers D is built to stop anyone, just depends on who you have/want on the field as players 9-11. Clark, Reed, Slaton, Gary, Smith, Campbell, Walker is going to be hard to run on. Clark, Lowry, Gary, Smith, Campbell, Walker, Nixon, Douglas is going to be easier.

Bears caught us in the 4th Q with a light front and ran it down our throat. I have a feeling Jaire sits this game out and we run a lot of 7/8 man boxes and hope Stokes and Douglas hold up outside.

They played hurry up against a light front and ran, but still took like 6 or 7 minutes off the clock, and they didn't score.  While it was frustrating to watch, that drive was pretty much all the Packers could have asked for.  Not worried about that in the least.  Tag me the next time an OC's plan is to wait until we have a 3 score lead and run against a dime defense while they don't care to use a time out to sub in better run defenders.  As genius of a plan as that is, I don't think we will be seeing it very often.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

If 32 carries for 125 yards to Cook and Fournette is the worst run D you've seen in the last 10 years among contenders, might be time to see an optometrist.

Bears caught us in nickel in the 4th Q and had 94 yards on 8 carries. Take out that series and we've allowed 247 yards on 59 carries. 4.18 ypc. Not exactly amazing, but that's tied for 12th in the league. You're being real over-dramatic.

Agree .. if Skil thinks this is the worst run defense in 10 years I'm thinking an optometrist isn't the only dr he should "see".