Trevor Lawrence has arrived

notthatbluestuff

2 hours ago, bucksavage1 said:

Most personnel except AJ Brown and the Titans Lewan. Titans don’t have the talent  LA has on offense, it is not even debatable. Downing is bad but Lombardi is worse. Lombardi only in NFL due to his family name

Lombardi has taken a generational talent QB with Elite weapons into a conservative type offense scoring 17-23 points per game. He’s awful and by far the worst OC in the NFL. 

Yeah, hold your horses there. Herbert’s not in that conversation yet. Herbert’s a good QB who has great games and some stinkers too. He’s done nothing to put him in the generational talent group.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Daniel said:

Yeah, hold your horses there. Herbert’s not in that conversation yet. Herbert’s a good QB who has great games and some stinkers too. He’s done nothing to put him in the generational talent group.

“Talent” which means potential. He set the record for most pass yards in his 1st 3 seasons last week. That’s more than nothing. Regardless, Lombardi is awful and by far the worst OC

https://www.theringer.com/nfl/2022/12/21/23519773/trevor-lawrence-jacksonville-jaguars-star-qb

Trevor Lawrence Has Arrived

The NFL’s next star quarterback is in Jacksonville. Over the last few weeks, the Jaguars QB has been displaying all the traits that made him one of the most coveted draft prospects in league history.

Edited by notthatbluestuff

4 minutes ago, notthatbluestuff said:

Serious question for Jags fans: how do you keep this going into 2023? Is it as simple as spending the offseason working on the defense, knowing that Ridley is coming in? Or are there other additions for the offense you're hoping for? You have your QB; that's the hardest part done. Now build around him.

They’d be crazy not to spend a high draft pick on a receiver. Trevor is doing well, give him more assistance.

Obviously, they need to spend a lot of resources on defense, but just assuming Ridley will be a big difference maker by himself is a mistake imo.

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Daniel said:

They’d be crazy not to spend a high draft pick on a receiver. Trevor is doing well, give him more assistance.

Obviously, they need to spend a lot of resources on defense, but just assuming Ridley will be a big difference maker by himself is a mistake imo.

I’d argue this is a diverse enough draft to take WR in the 2nd - given the emergence (and salaries) of Christian Kirk and Zay Jones, Ridley plus a 2nd round quality WR (JSN, Jalin Hyatt) could make this offense go. If the Jags got JSN (who I personally believe is the best WR from this draft) I’d be concerned.

If the Jags are dead set on targets for Lawrence, they should look at TE. Evan Engram is a one-and-done, and a guy like Georgia’s Darnell Washington is a unicorn at TE (size and wingspan of a ZBS T who can actually get out in routes and is virtually uncoverable in the short seam area). Washington would make life easier for both of the former Clemson/Jaguar guys - he’s not Mark Andrews or Travis Kelce, but he’s absolutely a difference maker within a Trevor Lawrence offense. He reminds me of a throwback TE from the 80s/90s, a guy like Ben Coates or Eric Green - simply too big for a DB to eliminate, and too athletic for an off ball LB to cover. Teams would need a Joker or Starbacker type DB/S to even attempt to disrupt him.

26 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I’d argue this is a diverse enough draft to take WR in the 2nd - given the emergence (and salaries) of Christian Kirk and Zay Jones, Ridley plus a 2nd round quality WR (JSN, Jalin Hyatt) could make this offense go. If the Jags got JSN (who I personally believe is the best WR from this draft) I’d be concerned.

If the Jags are dead set on targets for Lawrence, they should look at TE. Evan Engram is a one-and-done, and a guy like Georgia’s Darnell Washington is a unicorn at TE (size and wingspan of a ZBS T who can actually get out in routes and is virtually uncoverable in the short seam area). Washington would make life easier for both of the former Clemson/Jaguar guys - he’s not Mark Andrews or Travis Kelce, but he’s absolutely a difference maker within a Trevor Lawrence offense. He reminds me of a throwback TE from the 80s/90s, a guy like Ben Coates or Eric Green - simply too big for a DB to eliminate, and too athletic for an off ball LB to cover. Teams would need a Joker or Starbacker type DB/S to even attempt to disrupt him.

I was thinking TE as well, but honestly it just needs to be BPA.

I'm always weary of college skill position players that don't produce. Washington has the build and athleticism, but he has not produced at all. Those kinds of players don't have great track records. Obviously not impossible or anything (George Kittle comes to mind), but it makes me hesitate.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm always weary of college skill position players that don't produce. Washington has the build and athleticism, but he has not produced at all. Those kinds of players don't have great track records. Obviously not impossible or anything (George Kittle comes to mind), but it makes me hesitate.

It’s hard to produce when you have an absolute stud TE sharing snaps. But I do understand what you are saying. You’d like to see him do it at the college level. 

I would go with Mayer. Enormous talented short to intermediate target that can block. The only concern is that the Jags would almost certainly have to get him in the 1st. They may choose to address the defense instead, which has done potential but looks pretty far behind the offense. I think that Lawrence is probably good enough to be a great QB without great blue chip targets. He’s already proving it. Who the heck was Engram, Zay Jones, and Christian Kirk before this season?

40 minutes ago, ET80 said:

A TE would work too.  So long as it's a weapon for Lawrence.  Relying on receivers who have "emerged" this season to keep playing at a high level is an unrealistic expectation IMO.  It usually doesn't pan out.  Plus, the Jags are really healthy this season (one of the least injured teams in the league), and that probably won't be the case again next year.

Lastly, they spent the majority of their draft capital on defense this past season, and you can probably expect a lot of growth from those guys.  And yeah, a second rounder counts as a high pick IMO, but I doubt Hyatt will be there with the Jags' second pick.

I also love Darnell Washington.  Him or Hyatt would be a great fit for Tennessee, so the Jags need to stay the hell away from them.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I'm always weary of college skill position players that don't produce. Washington has the build and athleticism, but he has not produced at all.

7 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

It’s hard to produce when you have an absolute stud TE sharing snaps.

I agree right here - Brock Bowers has a chance to be drafted top 10 in 2024, he might be the best pass catcher available next draft (I’d say either him or Harrison Jr).

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ET80 said:

I agree right here - Brock Bowers has a chance to be drafted top 10 in 2024, he might be the best pass catcher available next draft (I’d say either him or Harrison Jr).

Absolutely. I’d be shocked if Harrison doesn’t go in front of him. Can’t ignore the pedigree, production, size…he’s probably the surest thing at WR since Green/Julio. 

But after him, Brock has to be next. Just a superior football player to Pitts. May not have the height, but the guy is just so talented. 

Edited by sammymvpknight
  • Like 1