Week 4: NY Jets vs PIT Steelers

Bobby816

7 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I swear we’d have this team in contention if we all called the shots together.

Dude isn't obviously a 3 down DE with his size and system we play. But man it seems like every time he's healthy and getting snaps he makes plays. Should be a staple in our DE rotation. I don't care the contract Martin received. Huff is better. Can't play guys just bc of their contract or draft position. That's how coaches get fired. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jetfuel34 said:

Zach but he did throw some good balls. The only problem is the turnovers. He throws A LOT of picks.

No argument.  He seems to play like Brett Favre.  Certainly not Favre's level yet, but the mentality.  Zach seems to abhor short passes and dump offs.  Of course I think the reason he looks really bad at those types of passes is that he is doing it under duress.  Given a clean pocket, he probably would not throw the ball less than 10 yards.  He will live with the int's if he can go long.

Give Zach a decent OL and he will be chucking for over 300 yards, 2 TD's and at least 1 Int per game on average.  That's Favreian.

1 hour ago, xrade said:

No argument.  He seems to play like Brett Favre.  Certainly not Favre's level yet, but the mentality.  Zach seems to abhor short passes and dump offs.  Of course I think the reason he looks really bad at those types of passes is that he is doing it under duress.  Given a clean pocket, he probably would not throw the ball less than 10 yards.  He will live with the int's if he can go long.

Give Zach a decent OL and he will be chucking for over 300 yards, 2 TD's and at least 1 Int per game on average.  That's Favreian.

Keep the yardage up and the TD:INT ratio above 2:1 and I think we'll all be really happy.  I mean if he throws nearly 30 TD with 13-14 picks will we be upset about that.  That 2nd pick wasn't his fault, should have been a catch and run from Conklin.

I mean at the end of the year we hopefully are looking at 3,500-3,700 yards, 26-30 TD, and 12-15 picks.  That's smack dab in the middle of the pack going off of last years stats minus him missing 3 weeks if he continues this trend.

Edited by Rockice_8
  • Like 1

Day after thoughts.

1. It was nice to see Zach march down and win a tough one. He flashed that last year trying to carry us to a win against the Panthers but yesterday he pulled it together. While he was inaccurate at times, he didn't almost throw the game away at any point in the 4th. That's key IMO.

2. God we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. So many mental mistakes that gave the Steelers life and cost us (or nearly cost us) points. McDermott doesn't deserve to see the field ever again.

3. Can we throw on first downs? I love our backs too, but our OL is barely hanging on. Get some quick and easy short game throws in to make it 2nd and 5 instead of making Wilson start 2nd and long every play.

4. I love the fire. The energy on the sideline is worlds away from the sulking-Sam and no-faith-Gase. I just wish our coaching looked better. We should have demolished the Steelers on defense, but hopefully that comes with this new culture.

13 hours ago, ekill08x said:

I honestly never wanna see Fant starting for this team again. Hes really not that good. Brown different story and its a shame about Mitchell. AVT was the man today.

Fant was playing hurt this year.  Take anything from this year with a grain of salt.  There is a reason he's on IR now.

He's been a solid pass blocking LT which is the most important aspect of the position which is why we should be happy trotting him out there when healthy.  His run blocking leaves a lot to be desired but when healthy he keeps the QB blind side clean most of the time which is good enough for me.  There aren't very many complete LT's in the league.

Really hope Mich is ok and it's not season ending.

8 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Day after thoughts.

1. It was nice to see Zach march down and win a tough one. He flashed that last year trying to carry us to a win against the Panthers but yesterday he pulled it together. While he was inaccurate at times, he didn't almost throw the game away at any point in the 4th. That's key IMO.

2. God we need to stop shooting ourselves in the foot. So many mental mistakes that gave the Steelers life and cost us (or nearly cost us) points. McDermott doesn't deserve to see the field ever again.

3. Can we throw on first downs? I love our backs too, but our OL is barely hanging on. Get some quick and easy short game throws in to make it 2nd and 5 instead of making Wilson start 2nd and long every play.

4. I love the fire. The energy on the sideline is worlds away from the sulking-Sam and no-faith-Gase. I just wish our coaching looked better. We should have demolished the Steelers on defense, but hopefully that comes with this new culture.

We need to incorporate those short throws that are essentially running plays.  We did it a few times with the WR screens which is good but PIT was run blitzing on obvious run plays for us and with our OL in shambles we couldn't overcome.  Way too many 3rd and longs even if some of those were penalty inflicted.

Did we run any RB screens yesterday?  I didn't catch every snap but saw most of them and didn't see any that I can recall.  I felt like we could have used their blitzing aggressiveness against them like that but we didn't.  That is the one play we should see at least one per drive.  Seems like every time I see it from other teams it's going for chunk yards yet it's not even in our playbook.  I do really like MLF's offense though outside of a few questionable calls per game. 

Edited by Rockice_8

23 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Fant was playing hurt this year.  Take anything from this year with a grain of salt.  There is a reason he's on IR now.

He's been a solid pass blocking LT which is the most important aspect of the position which is why we should be happy trotting him out there when healthy.  His run blocking leaves a lot to be desired but when healthy he keeps the QB blind side clean most of the time which is good enough for me.  There aren't very many complete LT's in the league.

Really hope Mich is ok and it's not season ending.

Agreed here BUT he was good as a pass blocker at LT last year and really below average for his career at RT including the first year here. What AVT did yesterday was amazing. Keep drafting these versatile OLman. Herbig struggled at times but hes honestly a decent guard. We need more from Tomlinson. Its as old-school as it can be but it really does come down to the running game. If you can stop the run and run the ball, you at least have an identity and you always have a chance. The Pats have the worst roster in the division but they are still going to be a tough matchup for us for those two reasons. I still wish we had another DT next to Q that was just a plug in the middle. More of a 0 or 1T that leaves Q with way more isolations. Q really has impressed me this year. 

Let's start off with the positive, the Jets 1st and 2nd year players are coming through. Hall, Wilson, Wilson, Moore, Carter, Carter2, Sauce, Johnson, Clemons and Mitchell. Ruckert hasn't gotten much time but I can live with the first 4 taken in the draft and their impact.

For the first time in years we have some playmakers on the offensive side of the ball who can be difference makers.

The Negative 

Zac Wilson will only be as good as the line allows him to be. Meaning? The offensive line is a hodgepodge of broken pieces. Until we have continuity on the OL Zac will have to be running for his life.

So what does that translate to? Zac with a good line in front of him will be given the time to survey the field and make quality decisions instead of hurried decisions.

Our running game should be lights out, but because of such a poor line the lanes are not being opened up for our talented backs to eat up yardage. 

Shut down the running game, and defenses will sit on Wilson and be able to blitz without fear.

The Jets in the 2023 draft must, MUST, address G,T, C positions and hopefully in the first 3 rounds. Our backups are backups to backups.

We need quality at the starting position and quality at the backup positions. 

To be fair, I'm not sure we have the right coaching staff, when you see players arguing with coaches on the sideline it could be a sign your losing the locker room.

Its good to be 2-2 don't get me wrong, Miami is coming to town after a loss, it has a good defense and offensive weapons.

THIS will be a good test for the Jets win or lose. If they lose and are in the thick of it, there is a positive if they win in the thick of it?

Well then teams will have to take them a bit more seriously. 

Again, if the OL continues to be bombarded with injuries its going to be a long season, Zac will have a long season, and hopefully physically he will finish it.

I'm cool with trick plays, but to me its a sign you have run the course with plays.

49 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Agreed here BUT he was good as a pass blocker at LT last year and really below average for his career at RT including the first year here. What AVT did yesterday was amazing. Keep drafting these versatile OLman. Herbig struggled at times but hes honestly a decent guard. We need more from Tomlinson. Its as old-school as it can be but it really does come down to the running game. If you can stop the run and run the ball, you at least have an identity and you always have a chance. The Pats have the worst roster in the division but they are still going to be a tough matchup for us for those two reasons. I still wish we had another DT next to Q that was just a plug in the middle. More of a 0 or 1T that leaves Q with way more isolations. Q really has impressed me this year. 

You could argue that maybe last year was his breakout year because the guy was late to the game.  At RT I prefer more of that run blocking aspect that Mitchell brings but Brown isn't a long term answer for LT so he's really not a factor.  He's probably best suited for the back up LT role next year.  Fant could be that and honestly we could much worse.  I don't see why Fant, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Mitchell couldn't be the OL for the next 4-5 seasons.  

Herbig at OG and Feeney who plays a decent backup C role are good enough for backups.  Looks like Brown will be here next year and maybe Becton but neither can be counted on so OT depth is still a need but maybe not round 1.  Would having Becton as a reserve RT work?  Would he accept it?  We could be deep if healthy but it's interesting to see what happens with Mitchell (injury) and Fant (after he's back).  I think how those two finish out the year will be the determining factor.  

12 hours ago, KingOfNewYork said:

I swear we’d have this team in contention if we all called the shots together.

It's insane that he was inactive, he bends that corner on the DL and creates problems. He is a good situational pass rusher and needs to have a role. That Titans game last season Huff was creating all types of problems and is why we had so many sacks. Then he kept getting hurt. But when healthy he is good at rushing the QB. 

20 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

You could argue that maybe last year was his breakout year because the guy was late to the game.  At RT I prefer more of that run blocking aspect that Mitchell brings but Brown isn't a long term answer for LT so he's really not a factor.  He's probably best suited for the back up LT role next year.  Fant could be that and honestly we could much worse.  I don't see why Fant, Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Mitchell couldn't be the OL for the next 4-5 seasons.  

Herbig at OG and Feeney who plays a decent backup C role are good enough for backups.  Looks like Brown will be here next year and maybe Becton but neither can be counted on so OT depth is still a need but maybe not round 1.  Would having Becton as a reserve RT work?  Would he accept it?  We could be deep if healthy but it's interesting to see what happens with Mitchell (injury) and Fant (after he's back).  I think how those two finish out the year will be the determining factor.  

SO do I in terms of RT  but I really dont want Fant back next year of personally. We can do so much better IMO. Hes over 30 and limited. Well see what happens in the offseason. 

We won and the D played pretty well so it will be glossed over but it is still an issue, the snaps our best dlineman are playing

First some grades

And the snap counts

Aside from Lawson (who you still want on the field) most of our top graded lineman are still barely playing and Q being on for only 60% is malpractice, was wreaking havoc all game

3 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

We won and the D played pretty well so it will be glossed over but it is still an issue, the snaps our best dlineman are playing

First some grades

And the snap counts

Aside from Lawson (who you still want on the field) most of our top graded lineman are still barely playing and Q being on for only 60% is malpractice, was wreaking havoc all game

They still play Martin at 38%, there are better players who he is playing over. 

5 minutes ago, Abe56 said:

First some grades

And the snap counts

This rotation stuff is out of hand. I'd love to see the numbers on the rotations SF used when Saleh was DC there.

10 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

SO do I in terms of RT  but I really dont want Fant back next year of personally. We can do so much better IMO. Hes over 30 and limited. Well see what happens in the offseason. 

I understand and will be the first one on board the "get a great OL" train so don't mistake the rest of this post as not wanting to upgrade the LT spot.  A great OL is the foundation for an offense.  I really do think Fant can be the answer though if he end this year like he played in 2021.  Even at 30 no reason these guys can't play into their mid 30's at a high level.

Listen if Douglas wants to break the bank for Orlando Brown Jr. out in KC next year or a great one falls into our lap in the draft I won't be complaining but Fant was the LT for a top 10 OL last year and that was with poor LG and below average RT play.  With Mitchell and Tomlinson (who I think is finally getting comfortable) there's no reason we can't run a healthy Fant (healthy), Tomlinson, McGovern, AVT, Mitchell (year 2)out there and be top 5 ish which his plenty good. 

DE is still miles ahead of LT in terms of need as is probably FS, ILB, and maybe even DT.  If healthy I think our OL would be a much better shape then our DL which tells me everything I need to know.  Even though I'm not looking ahead at the draft yet (thankfully) I want a guy who can hit the QB first.