Week 4: NY Jets vs PIT Steelers

Bobby816

We should be fired up for this one with what looks like will be Zach Wilson's season debut. This is a very winnable game, much like CLE was. I don't expect us to let Zach go out there and sling it all over the place. Actually I expect us to finally try and establish the run in this one. Through 3 weeks PIT has a bottom  5 rush defense. So we need to be attacking that straight up the gut. Tomlinson and McGovern haven't been who we thought they'd be. Make this the game the IOL starts to be a strength of this team. Mitchell has held his own at RT. Who will be at LT is still up in the air. We should have some clarity on that sometime this week. On defense this is easily the worst offense we will have to play these 1st 4 weeks. As far as I know Trubisky is still starting for them and he's been pretty bad. I like our CBs chances against their WRs. Harris can run the ball, but the OL for them isn't anything great. So I cant see many lanes open. We should be able to look like the defense we all hoped we'd have in this one.

Prediction

NYJ: 27

PIT: 20

Wow Bobby your on it for these game threads. 

I think this game is going to make or break the season. You have Zach coming back and a team that is fighting with each other. A HC that thinks he is all that and he is not. It is very hard to win in Pitt too. 

I think Zach Wilson comes out throwing. The Jets O looks really good and the D makes a few plays to hold Pitt back.

Jets 24

Pitt 21

Zach is 25-35 for 320 yards and 2TD 0INT

He becomes our franchise QB. 

The Jets will be 2-2 and looking to get back into playoff run. 

Lets Go ZACH WILSON!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to reverse the curse. Nothing but positive vibes. 

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

Wow Bobby your on it for these game threads. 

I think this game is going to make or break the season. You have Zach coming back and a team that is fighting with each other. A HC that thinks he is all that and he is not. It is very hard to win in Pitt too. 

I think Zach Wilson comes out throwing. The Jets O looks really good and the D makes a few plays to hold Pitt back.

Jets 24

Pitt 21

Zach is 25-35 for 320 yards and 2TD 0INT

He becomes our franchise QB. 

The Jets will be 2-2 and looking to get back into playoff run. 

Lets Go ZACH WILSON!!!!!!!!!

I'm trying to reverse the curse. Nothing but positive vibes. 

This is the best post out of you in a long time. Love to see it. 

• Like 1

It is very hard for me to feel good about this game. Their defense is still going to give us fits because they are smart and well coached and will Blitz us all day. We've done a decent job against the run overall but couldn't get a stop with the game on the line in back to back weeks so we really are still week there. Teams have also been able to throw on us at will mainly because our DL has been horrible and our LBs and S's are the worst in coverage in the entire league. We have a pair of high end corners who have been excellent yet still cant stop anyone in the air. There are easy adjustments to make but we have a stubborn condescending coach who will run vanilla wide-9 spot drop cover-3 90% of the time until we are blue in the face. I do think Zach will extend plays and make some big ones but also turn the ball over which will cost us. 

I am 1-2 overall and ATS with CLE being the miracle win.

NYJ - 17

PIT - 27

4 hours ago, Bobby816 said:

Run the ball with Carter and Hall and dont give up big plays to the PIT WRs and I think we squeak this one out. 

I almost want us to start with the ball all the time now. Run the ball as much as we can. Keep possession the old fashion way. This is another game that has the ability to play to what we've done well so far. If we stack the box, which we should, this isn't a Cincinnati passing attack that should kill us, if it does, fire the DC at halftime and see if Saleh is actually a good DC or just a product of better players in SF and a better HC in Shannahan. 

40 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

I almost want us to start with the ball all the time now. Run the ball as much as we can. Keep possession the old fashion way. This is another game that has the ability to play to what we've done well so far. If we stack the box, which we should, this isn't a Cincinnati passing attack that should kill us, if it does, fire the DC at halftime and see if Saleh is actually a good DC or just a product of better players in SF and a better HC in Shannahan. 

Our defensive game plan should be exactly how other teams have game planned against us the past 10 years. Stack the box, blitz the QB and make Trubisky beat us. Sauce and Reed can and for the most part, should be left on an island. Let the Safeties and LBs focus on the check downs to Pat and Najee. 
Last week I was critical about forcing the run, partially because when Joe got into a rhythm we would then have 2nd and long and lose rhythm, but this week we aren’t going up against a team that can score at will. Ease Zach in by pounding the rock then when the time comes we strike downfield. Let the RBs be his friend. 

57 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

Saleh didn’t have better players his last season in SF (injuries). I think continuity had just as much to do with — avoiding mental mistakes, etc. That group still finished 10th. It was the top ranked defense in 2019 with a healthy roster.

That last season is/will likely contribute to his ongoing stubbornness. There’s no doubt scheme/coaching elevated that group to exceed expectations. To expect the same results is foolish though. Have to be able to adjust.

5 minutes ago, jetsfan4life51 said:

Our defensive game plan should be exactly how other teams have game planned against us the past 10 years. Stack the box, blitz the QB and make Trubisky beat us. Sauce and Reed can and for the most part, should be left on an island. Let the Safeties and LBs focus on the check downs to Pat and Najee. 
Last week I was critical about forcing the run, partially because when Joe got into a rhythm we would then have 2nd and long and lose rhythm, but this week we aren’t going up against a team that can score at will. Ease Zach in by pounding the rock then when the time comes we strike downfield. Let the RBs be his friend. 

From your lips to Gods ears. What does this staff watch on tape and come up with? Its starting to get more than just mildly alarming. If not for the miracle win, Saleh would be in much hotter water. If we somehow look really bad this week and next and go to Green Bay 1-4...it is going to get very very ugly here. Nobody is really going to care if we rattle off 5 wins later on in the year if we start 1-6 or 1-7. As fans we hang out hats on that way too much. Win the games when they matter the most and teams are trying to assert themselves in a playoff position. Wins late in December and January against teams resting starters or ones that are banged up don't mean anything anymore when you are constantly eliminated by late October. This is a big game for us moving forward. It sucks that the pressure is on Zach now. Its not really his fault and the coaches are really to blame for the situation this team is in. I just hope he shows that he can play and put us in positions to win regardless of Saleh's dog$#!+ defense. 2-2 getting Duane Brown back (I pray) going into a home game against a really good Miami team will at least rejuvenate a home crowd next weekend. 

Odd scenario. Including this weekend and next, both teams we are playing are on longer weeks coming off Thursday night games the week prior. Nothing like having every competitive disadvantage as we can.

2 minutes ago, ekill08x said:

From your lips to Gods ears. What does this staff watch on tape and come up with? Its starting to get more than just mildly alarming. If not for the miracle win, Saleh would be in much hotter water. If we somehow look really bad this week and next and go to Green Bay 1-4...it is going to get very very ugly here. Nobody is really going to care if we rattle off 5 wins later on in the year if we start 1-6 or 1-7. As fans we hang out hats on that way too much. Win the games when they matter the most and teams are trying to assert themselves in a playoff position. Wins late in December and January against teams resting starters or ones that are banged up don't mean anything anymore when you are constantly eliminated by late October. This is a big game for us moving forward. It sucks that the pressure is on Zach now. Its not really his fault and the coaches are really to blame for the situation this team is in. I just hope he shows that he can play and put us in positions to win regardless of Saleh's dog$#!+ defense. 2-2 getting Duane Brown back (I pray) going into a home game against a really good Miami team will at least rejuvenate a home crowd next weekend. 

Odd scenario. Including this weekend and next, both teams we are playing are on longer weeks coming off Thursday night games the week prior. Nothing like having every competitive disadvantage as we can.

If we put up points each week going 1-7 and Saleh has the balls to fire Ulbrich and take over the D then I’m fine keeping him for a 3rd year. If the team is struggling and he doesn’t make any changes then he is going to be the change in the offseason.  

1 minute ago, NJC33 said:

Saleh didn’t have better players his last season in SF (injuries). I think continuity had just as much to do with — avoiding mental mistakes, etc. That group still finished 10th. It was the top ranked defense in 2019 with a healthy roster.

That last season is/will likely contribute to his ongoing stubbornness. There’s no doubt scheme/coaching elevated that group to exceed expectations. To expect the same results is foolish though. Have to be able to adjust.

All I know is that before the Super Bowl season and before Nick Bosa, SF fans wanted him fired. Im glad his coaching worked once in a challenging year but it sounds like it inflated his ego because his inability to get more creative or adjust here has been really upsetting. Going to be hard to keep acting like the smartest man in the room when your defense, running your scheme and following your principles, is ranked 32nd in DVOA when they have between 5-7 new starters on this unit. 2 of them at corner who have been excellent. If he stays status quo and we continue to struggle he'll only have himself to blame when hes a LBs coach for another team in 2023.