THURSDAY NIGHT FOOSEBALL- INDY COMES TO MILE HIGH!

BullsandBroncos

So the biggest concerns for both teams going into this game is the health of Jonathan Taylor (bad for them, good for us.) and the health of Javonte Williams(good for them, bad for us).

Gregory and Chubb need to harass the hell out of Matt Ryan and I think we could win this game rather fairly if we can lower the penalties ever so slightly, not hold or lineup wrong once per drive, and just execute. I'll add to this thread later on today. 

30 minutes ago, BullsandBroncos said:

So the biggest concerns for both teams going into this game is the health of Jonathan Taylor (bad for them, good for us.) and the health of Javonte Williams(good for them, bad for us).

Gregory and Chubb need to harass the hell out of Matt Ryan and I think we could win this game rather fairly if we can lower the penalties ever so slightly, not hold or lineup wrong once per drive, and just execute. I'll add to this thread later on today. 

I wouldn’t be so optimistic that Gregory will play. I know there’s more optimism on his injury than Javinte’s, but do you really risk him on a short week when we’ve got the mini bye before a crucial MNF tilt?

Time for those young pass rushers to show us what they can do. 

• Like 1

Gregory saying he feels good is standard post-game.  The swelling hasn’t kicked in.   Even if it’s a “just” a jammed knee it’s going to feel worse today.   First priority is get the MRI and rule out anything structural.   If he’s back on TNF great.   But right now just plan on no Gregory.  

On the flip side IND almost certainly not having Shaquille Leonard & Jonathan Taylor.   Kinda fitting they lose their best defender and all world RB when we lose Javonte & have to assume Gregory for now.  

The Colts are a dumpster fire this season and Taylor is their one X factor player that can change the game. If he’s got the dreaded high ankle sprain then there’s absolutely no excuse not to win this game. 

Four games left until the bye and we needed to go 3-1 minimum to have any realistic shot at the playoffs. In the second half of the season we’ve got tough road games in Baltimore, LAR and KC plus we need to play the entire AFC West at home. I think 5-5 probably leaves us with too much to do. We are in LA to face the Chargers on MNF in week 6 so I would be tempted to sit all of our players who have injury concerns to get them fully healthy for that game.

If we can’t beat a Jonathan Taylor-less Colts without Gregory, Meinerz, Hamler etc then we might as well give up. 

As for the breakdown for TNF's game, I'm assuming that we are going to be missing Gregory & Javonte, and IND is missing J-Taylor & Shaq Leonard.   Some important Q marks for us otherwise...

IND ON O

-It's eye opening how badly the IND OL is struggling.   New LT Matt Pryor and RG Danny Pinter have been bad.   But TBH so has C Ryan Kelly.   They've failed to pass protect Matt Ryan and haven't opened up any lanes for Jonathan Taylor, who's now hurt.    This is massive area for the pass rush to exploit - but it only works if we stop the run.   G Quinton Nelson is still an elite player (and yes, passing on him for Chubb, we'd probably do it over 10x/10x, even though Chubb's been better this year for sure).

-Matt Ryan's decline phase is real.    He sees ghosts with pressure.    Again, why stopping the run and setting up 2nd and long matters so much.

-Michael Pittman is a true alpha WR1 talent, but Ryan is holding him back in a big way.   The X factors for our weak areas - RB Nyheim Hines is an absolute pass catching mismatch, while Mo-Alie Cox is an older but far more refined version of what ppl were hoping for with Albert O - he gets his blocks, and he's a massive matchup nightmare with both safeties and LB's.   I expect extra targets will go their way if PS2 locks up Pittman.   Alec Pierce is a promising rookie, but if he's the guy who beats you, just tip your cap and move on.

-Frank Reich's play-calling has been an issue for 2+ seasons now, and it's not improved.   He found ways to limit Carson Wentz's mistakes for the first 12-13 games last year, but he's looked pretty lost in game adjustments and just outright bad play sequencing.

DEN ON O

-Shaq Leonard in protocol is a massive break for us.   The heart and soul of their D, and an absolute force in coverage and limiting RB's getting into the 2nd level.    

-The other disruptor is Deforest Buckner who was only on the field for 19 plays.    Guy who takes up 2 guys and can still win in the run, and can get massive inside push on passing downs.    His presence then allows Kwitty Paye and Yannick Ngakoue to get outside EDGE pressure.    Given how bad our pass pro with both T's have been (we really need Billy Turner back in a big way), it's a problem if we have inside pressure too.   In that respect, getting Quinn Meinerz to play tandem G with Dalton Risner would help so much - Graham Glasgow's decline phase is real.   Meinerz at G and Turner at RT would help address this so much.   

-The absence of Shaq Leonard and Buckner only 19 plays is a big reason why TEN ran so well yesterday.   They're normally stout in run D.   That's likely the case with our downgrade in our RB situation.   Mike Boone is JAG...no matter what Hackett thought (incorrectly) - using him for 4 straight runs to start the 2H with Javonte Williams out on the 1st drive, and then dive on 1st at the 50, then play-action with Wilson back to LOS, was asinine (which no one bought easiest 9-yard sack you'll ever see, killed both opening drives in 3Q - and led to 3 drives with only 7 net yards and 2 3-and-outs and 1 5-and-out - and then the LV run O took over for good).    I don't expect we should bank on any success (we can try, but can't repeat that level of incompetent 2H play-calling).  

-On the secondary, without a great pass rush, the secondary can be beat.   CB Kenny Moore has been great until this year, but hasn't been nearly as good.   CB Stephon Gilmore is still solid, but not a shutdown CB.   And CB Brandon Facyson is an area to exploit.    The DEN WR's success vs. LV in the 1H was mind boggling that Hackett didn't go there in the 3Q and 1st drive 4Q (4 drives total - 17 yards total).      With Javonte Williams out, this now becomes a pass-first O, especially against a stout run D (assuming Buckner plays) the Colts have.

OTHER INTANGIBLES

-As we saw in the LV game, TO's are key.   MG3's fumble-6 cost us 6 pts, but also took away at least 3 pts.  9 pt swing at minimum.  Who wins the TO battle matters a ton.

-ST's we've actually been much better with Waitman being excellent in punting placement and net Week 3-4, and our return game is a threat with Montrell Washington.   IND is traditionally very good here, but their K situation is less stable.

-Reich's really underwhelmed in game management and in-game adjustments and play-calling - but Nathaniel Hackett still looks overmatched.   His game management has improved to no mistakes Week 4 (and only a couple of small play sequences in Week 3 - the actual play-calling itself and adjustments at halftime, though - still MASSIVE in how bad it's been).

KEYS TO DEN VICTORY

On D

-Stop the run, then exploit OL issues in pass pro

-PS2 on Pittman, give help to Mo-Alie Cox with safety, not a LB, and keep Nyheim Hines accounted for in pass game.   HATE the off coverage, the TE & RB's will just bleed us to death.   Be aggressive, it forces Matt Ryan where he's least comfortable.

On O

-Lean on Russell Wilson now.  With no Javonte Williams, it's the pass game vs. IND's stout run D.

-Cut down on penalties.   OL has to play better.  Meinerz/Turner back at G / RT would help a TON.

INTANGIBLES. 

-Be TO neutral or win here.   That simple

-No stupidity like unnecessary penalties, etc.  Neither team is good enough right now to survive that. 

-Hackett, coach to freaking win the game.    Going run game vs. LV to start 3Q down 3 and ball in great field position 2x was so gutless.  Be bold.   Don't wither in the limelight. 

It's going to be a closer game for sure - just sucks we won't see Shaq Leonard on IND D, and likely not Randy Gregory on DEN D.    While on O, instead of Jonathan Taylor & Javonte Williams as lead backs...it's Nyheim Hines and MG3.   Not what the NFL & TV guys thought was coming in, I'm sure. 

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 2

24 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

Melvin Gordon redemption arc begins this week. 150+ yards, 2 TDs and no fumbles. 

It’s posts like these that need the laughing emoticon option like Facebook has. 

What sucks most about this year is we had hope. The last several years I had no faith in the staff, in the QB or even in the overall direction of the franchise. I thought this year would be different and, last years 3-0 start against hapless teams only had the uninformed homers impressed. That’s what kills. At least the Avs start soon. 

Right now we’re 2-2 with games against the Chiefs (2), Chargers (2), Ravens, and Rams remaining. That’s 6 games against guaranteed playoffs teams. 

We also have to go to London and play the Jags. Before you laugh, have you a) seen the Jags this year and b) do you have any confidence in this staff to prepare for an international game and all that entails? 

We have the Raiders again, yes, the Jets and Panthers. But I’m not looking past the Cardinals, the Colts on a short week, or Titans on an East Coast 11am game. 

With the 3 I’s - incompetence, ineptitude and injuries - 4-13 is possible, far more possible than 13-4 or, hell, at this point, even 10-7.

Colts 20, Broncos 13. 

12 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

It’s posts like these that need the laughing emoticon option like Facebook has. 

What sucks most about this year is we had hope. The last several years I had no faith in the staff, in the QB or even in the overall direction of the franchise. I thought this year would be different and, last years 3-0 start against hapless teams only had the uninformed homers impressed. That’s what kills. At least the Avs start soon. 

Right now we’re 2-2 with games against the Chiefs (2), Chargers (2), Ravens, and Rams remaining. That’s 6 games against guaranteed playoffs teams. 

We also have to go to London and play the Jags. Before you laugh, have you a) seen the Jags this year and b) do you have any confidence in this staff to prepare for an international game and all that entails? 

We have the Raiders again, yes, the Jets and Panthers. But I’m not looking past the Cardinals, the Colts on a short week, or Titans on an East Coast 11am game. 

With the 3 I’s - incompetence, ineptitude and injuries - 4-13 is possible, far more possible than 13-4 or, hell, at this point, even 10-7.

Colts 20, Broncos 13. 

“Chargers” and “guaranteed playoff team” don’t belong anywhere near the same sentence.

They’ve won 2 games and almost conspired to blow both of them. In between that they did blow a healthy lead against KC and got blown out by the Jaguars. 

5 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Double blow for us as Javonte Williams ACL year confirmed and Taylor’s tests came back clear 

The long term outlook is excellent and obv about 100x better news than with Javonte.   But given he has turf toe and a LAS or very mild HAS, think it’s likely he sits week 5 given the short turnaround.   

He never missed a practice in college or in the pros until last week - so missed practices will be an easy sign to track.   Meanwhile Morse is excellent - I think he’s even better than the famous names like Chao.   Take it FWIW.  

Injury report:

The analysis on JT from Morse posted above far more likely to be accurate.    No JT, no Shaq Leonard.  No Javonte (sigh), no Gregory.   Hopefully we see Turner get in a full practice tomorrow, and Meinerz get back to the field (but obv not if they're not ready, soft tissue injuries are tricky in Meinerz's case).

It would be massive to get Turner or Meinerz back for the game.  DeForest Buckner looks like he's playing, and he's a massive interior disruptor.  That's a big edge for IND if Glasgow has to play him.    Turner upgrading the RT would help so much, it's tough when both T's are getting beat, can't really send help both ways.    Bolles has to win his battles, but ideally, you're not automatically worried about the T play from the get go.     It's a broken record, but the fact Calvin Anderson can't get on the field pretty much ends his time with us - so disappointing.