Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

I want Barry gone but that last drive should have been for a tie if MLF didn't go back to the same dam play he'd run 9 dam times already in the game the old jet sweep to Reed like come on man. MLF and our terrible offense was as much to blame and our ST what the f**k. 

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think GB dropped 10 slots in DVOA in a single week?

This far into the season, that can't be easy.

When you get gashed the last two drives by the worst offense in the league with the game on the line, it hits hard. As it should.

Defense was fine in first half, but totally choked in the 2nd.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

From best guess (unless someone completely blew this assignment) this is cover 6. Cover 6 can either be an iteration of half cover 2/ half cover 4 or half man 2, half cover 4. Would put this on Gary? Hard to say. We're defending this like a 3rd and 9 with 4 minutes to go up 14 either way, sad.

coverages.jpg

Voila_Capture-2020-08-06_12-18-53_AM.png

All-22 isn't up yet so it's hard to say for sure, but honestly this just looks like Nixon blew his coverage.  It doesn't look to me like anyone is playing man (obvious caveat that it's not always possible to tell) and no one really drops coverage to run with a guy, so it doesn't even look like a match call.  It looks like Nixon was supposed to be playing hook/flat and just dropped too deep; he ends up maybe five yards away from Savage and it's hard to conceive of a play call where that makes sense.  It looks like he was so focused on trying to maintain depth and take away the fifteen yard hole shot that he didn't notice the TE leaking out into his zone until it's too late.  He's fully twelve yards downfield when he tries to break on the TE - there's just no way to cover the flat from that far out.  It's made worse because it's the field side of the ball, so there's a ton of extra grass to cover, but in the end this just looks like bad coverage principles from Nixon to me.

Now having said that, if I'm honest it looks like this was drawn up by the Giants to take advantage of coverage with this exactproblem.  DeVito makes one read down field (or just holds the coverage) before stepping into a very practiced ball to the TE.  It's also worth noting that just like the Chiefs' missed shot to MVS, they run two vertical stems out of a stacked set on the defensive left; that could be just a coincidence, but I'll note that on that play Nixon played the #2 vertically in man.  The #2 here actually bends his route back toward the sideline on a deep out with the boundary guy taking Valentine deep; I think there's a good chance this play just reads Nixon all the way.  If he plays man on the #2, there's no one to play the flat and you hit the TE.  If he covers the flat, hit the #2 breaking out behind him.  In this case Nixon kinda did both: he dropped deep enough that the hole shot was gone but the ball to the TE was easy money.  The bigger issue is that teams once again are calling plays against Barry's defense with confidence they'll get the coverage they expect and need.

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Current HCs who most likely will be fired and might be available as DCs

McDermott 
Bowles
Staley
Tomlin (If fired he'll get a HC gig)

I bet IF we move on from Barry Staley gets the gig

Saleh or bust! No that does not mean bring Barry back. 

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Saleh or bust! No that does not mean bring Barry back. 

Saleh won't go anywhere while Rodgers is about. To move on from Saleh destroys the Rodgers trade. If Saleh goes, Hackett will have to go and Rodgers will be unhappy he'll, have to learn a new offence blah blah. Now if Rodgers is wank next year then Salah will get canned but not before.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Current HCs who most likely will be fired and might be available as DCs

McDermott 
Bowles
Staley
Tomlin (If fired he'll get a HC gig)

I bet IF we move on from Barry Staley gets the gig

Staley built reputation as DC with Rams when they had NFL's #1 defense in 2020. Barry was the Asst. HC/LB coach.  Before that, his NFL resume is a little thin. Bears OLB coach 2017 and 2018, Broncos OLB coach in 2019. As HC his defenses have been no better than Barry's here. Just wonder if he's as highly regarded around the NFL as a lot of people think. 

11 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Saleh won't go anywhere while Rodgers is about. To move on from Saleh destroys the Rodgers trade. If Saleh goes, Hackett will have to go and Rodgers will be unhappy he'll, have to learn a new offence blah blah. Now if Rodgers is wank next year then Salah will get canned but not before.

We don't know that. If there's someone out there Rodgers would rather have as HC, they'll fire Saleh for sure.