Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

5 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I still think Leonhard might get another call from LaFleur to see where he's at this off-season.  There's been chatter about him going to USC to be Riley's DC, but maybe the time is right for him to take his game to the NFL level.  

Agreed.  I'd be very surprised of Leonhard wasn't one of LaFleur's first calls if he moves on from Joe Barry.  It was pretty clear he was LaFleur's preferred option, and when he declined it to remain in Madison I think LaFleur might have panicked.

My whole thing with the Linebackers on Wr's comment that MLF made is why the hell are we in shell coverage?? It's Baker f'ing Mayfield. Are we concerned about his lack of deep ball accuracy? And are we really running it back midway into the fourth, when it had achieved almost no success up to that point? At least go single high and get beat that way too, then I'm not mad about the dc, but sticking with shell coverage all day is just confusing. Campbell is old, he cannot fill zones like he used to, it's fun to see him almost make a play and it end up being a touchdown.  

• Like 1

On 9/30/2023 at 9:00 AM, Mr Anonymous said:

I'm not saying they're dead set on hiring Jim Leonhard come January BUUUT I am saying personally I think there's a reason he stayed close and took a analyst position as opposed to a on-field coaching job. Nothing more than gut and puzzle piecing to that one.

What's that you say?

6 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Let's just fire Barry today! Nothing is an upgrade at this point. 

I'd be worried that the assistant who takes over on the interim inevitably benefits from briefly more inspired play and then get serious consideration for the permanent job.

I'm standing by my call that this was always looked at as a throwaway developmental year, which why Barry was kept for 2023 in the first place. And nothing has changed with Leonhard other than the fact he stayed close by and didn't commit to anything he couldn't easily walk away from. If he's the guy as I suspect, it would be an offseason move.

I think Barry is already effectively gone. I find it hard to see any scenario where he stays on again for 2024, since he already had his mulligan in 2022. If LaFleur IS stubborn enough to retain him again, it would have a good chance of dooming his career with Green Bay.

My plea to LaFleur is to hire some highly regarded position coach (on another team) to promote to coordinator, preferably a young up-and-comer, NOT an old buddy from times past. I specified young because the team itself is almost all young and probably responds better to a younger guy. I also specified he not get an old crony, as that would mean he is severely limiting himself in getting the best options out there.

I'd like at least one position coach change as well, to indicate to all his coaches that staying here depends on results - his coaches are very seldom being hired elsewhere because of their talent, and that is a pretty convincing sign that his position coaches need to be upgraded in places.

If LaFleur hires a more mature guy for the DC, despite my preference for a younger guy, it isn't the end of the world...........as long as the guy he gets knows what he is doing and is capable of:
a) running a competent defence
b) tailoring the defense to the players he has available
c) able to make adjustments if the chosen game plan of the week isn't working.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I'd be worried that the assistant who takes over on the interim inevitably benefits from briefly more inspired play and then get serious consideration for the permanent job.

I'm standing by my call that this was always looked at as a throwaway developmental year, which why Barry was kept for 2023 in the first place. And nothing has changed with Leonhard other than the fact he stayed close by and didn't commit to anything he couldn't easily walk away from. If he's the guy as I suspect, it would be an offseason move.

Would have been smart to have the guys on defense develop under the system they were going to be playing in 2024. It was an obvious choice to move on from him last year. 

At this point, he's a cancer in that locker room. I'd be up front with the interim and tell him this is a three-week gig. 

Edited by Old Guy