Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

26 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

As a trio (Gute/MM/ML) they picked Love over Rodgers, that was the only difficult decision they've been tasked with really. Riding out 3 games on the year with a new DC or Barry isn't any sort of monumental decision, it's fairly irrelevant. 

Did they or did Aaron play his way out of Green Bay? MLF can't see the forest for the trees here and apparently you can't either.

It's not about the amount of games remaining, it's about the message not being sent or the message being absolutely misinterpreted and mangled. The man still thinks the issue is miscommunication and not scheme. He had to insert himself LAST YEAR into the defensive room and now he's gotta do it again. Why is that? 

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yup, I'll happily go on record with that. I was in the "good" camp, but this year has me sold he's the guy like I was sold on Mac early in the Rodgers era. 

You grade too easily.

I'd have Mac as very good for most of his tenure.  And probably was very good quite fast and then trailed off.

Holmgren was great to excellent.

I don't see MLF that way.  I don't see him as an offensive "guru" or anything like that.  Best thing he's done for the offense is hire Clemments.  However, that is saying something, because that was excellent and I dare say, it is the most important thing that will let him return next year.

I'd put him at "good" for right now.  Solid C.  Could be talked into a B-.

It's been poorly handled. There's just no way around that. The amount of games remaining is irrelevant. It was poorly handled post 2022 and it's being even more poorly handled now. The main reason? Matt hired his buddy and doesn't have the stones to do what's necessary. 

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Did they or did Aaron play his way out of Green Bay? MLF can't see the forest for the trees here and apparently you can't either.

It's not about the amount of games remaining, it's about the message not being sent or the message being absolutely misinterpreted and mangled. The man still thinks the issue is miscommunication and not scheme. He had to insert himself LAST YEAR into the defensive room and now he's gotta do it again. Why is that? 

So if we fire Barry right now, the message to the players is that this year wasn't acceptable and the standards are being raised, BUT if we fire Barry in 3 week the message to the players was the year was acceptable and the standards met? 

LaFleur isn't going to come out and bash the scheme, he may still like the Fangio system and want Staley or Eviro so why would he go on any public record and say that? He's going to go with coach speak. He knows whats wrong with the defense.

The film is full of breakdowns that have nothing to do with Joe Barry too, so he should absolutely get after the players ***** too, equal parts their ****ty performance Sunday as it was Barry.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You grade too easily.

I'd have Mac as very good for most of his tenure.  And probably was very good quite fast and then trailed off.

Holmgren was great to excellent.

I don't see MLF that way.  I don't see him as an offensive "guru" or anything like that.  Best thing he's done for the offense is hire Clemments.  However, that is saying something, because that was excellent and I dare say, it is the most important thing that will let him return next year.

I'd put him at "good" for right now.  Solid C.  Could be talked into a B-.

C is average. B is good. Been out of school too long :P 

5 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

It's been poorly handled. There's just no way around that. The amount of games remaining is irrelevant. It was poorly handled post 2022 and it's being even more poorly handled now. The main reason? Matt hired his buddy and doesn't have the stones to do what's necessary. 

You honestly think Barry still has a job in three weeks? 

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

C is average. B is good. Been out of school too long :P 

Not everyone got trophies when I was in school.

And we kept score.  All scores.  Even in the sandbox during recess.

Rick and Tommy can still feel the pain of those losses at marbles.

:)

Edited by vegas492
  • Like 4

Just now, Packerraymond said:

So if we fire Barry right now, the message to the players is that this year wasn't acceptable and the standards are being raised, BUT if we fire Barry in 3 week the message to the players was the year was acceptable and the standards met? 

LaFleur isn't going to come out and bash the scheme, he may still like the Fangio system and want Staley or Eviro so why would he go on any public record and say that? He's going to go with coach speak. He knows whats wrong with the defense.

The film is full of breakdowns that have nothing to do with Joe Barry too, so he should absolutely get after the players ***** too, equal parts their ****ty performance Sunday as it was Barry.

And therein lies the rub 

MLF is not the one I want hiring the next DC. He doesn't realize the scheme is outdated and broken. 

MLF is an offensive coordinator, not a head coach. We need a head coach. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The coaching incompetence was January of 2022 when he was actually retained. This is just finishing out the bed we made. 

So what's the concern with getting a jump on moving on from the mistake?  Are you worried the defense might be worse?  

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

And therein lies the rub 

MLF is not the one I want hiring the next DC. He doesn't realize the scheme is outdated and broken. 

MLF is an offensive coordinator, not a head coach. We need a head coach. 

Every member of Matt's original staff turned out to be a good hire (other than the ST coach but we cheaped out of his desired hire), he offered the job to Leonhard who turned him down and he made a bad choice choosing experience over untapped potential in Barry over Eviro. 

The Fangio system is on the way out, but we're talking young dudes here who have big time references from high end coaches for being genius like. I would hope they are smart enough to change it up a bit, just like all the LOB disciples have evolved over the league and are having success.