Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

“We’ve got to get off the field, bro. Like everybody can say what they want to say around here but we’ve got to get off the field. They played terrible? Cool. Gave us a chance up one. We’ve got to get off the grass.”

Rasul Douglas

The defense failed again to make the critical stop.  Same thing happened a few weeks back against New Orleans, but luckily the kicker missed the potential game winner.  Barry runs a passive bend but don't break scheme, and we need better.  We are generally terrible vs. the run most weeks.  The offense being bad is giving Barry a lot of cover, but the Packers still have to move on at seasons end. 

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The defense failed again to make the critical stop.  Same thing happened a few weeks back against New Orleans, but luckily the kicker missed the potential game winner.  Barry runs a passive bend but don't break scheme, and we need better.  We are generally terrible vs. the run most weeks.  The offense being bad is giving Barry a lot of cover, but the Packers still have to move on at seasons end. 

We're also lucky that Josh McDaniels went full McDaniels and had his kicker try that 52 yarder instead of trying for it on 4th and 2.

2 hours ago, packfanfb said:

The best offense we've played all season is Detroit (whose offense isn't even great) and they scored at will on us. This defense is the same defense we've always known, don't be fooled. 

I tend to agree - atlanta, LV and Denver are among the worst offenses in the NFL

10 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

lol but hey we held them under 20, right? 😑

That's the problem when you rely on stats. You tend to forget the eye test.

Barry's easily upgradeable as far as the DC position goes, even if he's not at the top of the blame totem pole right now. There's no excuse to keep him over MLF. Either he gets fired first(the most likely step as lackeys will take the sack first) or he gets fired along with MLF.

• Like 4

I'm curious what would happen if LaFleur was told by Gutekunst "You must get rid of these (for example) three coaches/coordinators and  I  will find replacements for them.

This addresses several 'elephants in the room'.

First, there is a turnover of coaches, an attempt to upgrade by removing the worst and attempting to do better. You already do it with players, so why should coaches be different. This gets past LaFleur's seeming reluctance to get better coaches and apparent unwillingness to let go the underperformers.

Second, there is now a clear understanding among those still under LaFleur, what standard is expected and unless you are more than average at your job, you could well be one of those who are replaced in the future.

Third, if Gute is selecting new guys, he should have no bias towards players LaFleur has worked with before. Instead he is looking for the best up-and-comers and I believe casting a wider net gives the Packers a better chance at hitting gold.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt it happens, but it seems the coaches (and coordinators) are in need of a shake-up and this could make it happen. I wouldn't sack LaFleur just yet, but Gute imposing change on LaFleur can be seen as the first warning that things need to change. If that fails to work, then maybe a new head coach is a future consideration.

This wouldn't be the first time a coach is told to remove one or more coaches/coordinators, so head coaches by now fully understand the sub-text of these demands.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive

2 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

I'm curious what would happen if LaFleur was told by Gutekunst "You must get rid of these (for example) three coaches/coordinators and  I  will find replacements for them.

This addresses several 'elephants in the room'.

First, there is a turnover of coaches, an attempt to upgrade by removing the worst and attempting to do better. You already do it with players, so why should coaches be different. This gets past LaFleur's seeming reluctance to get better coaches and apparent unwillingness to let go the underperformers.

Second, there is now a clear understanding among those still under LaFleur, what standard is expected and unless you are more than average at your job, you could well be one of those who are replaced in the future.

Third, if Gute is selecting new guys, he should have no bias towards players LaFleur has worked with before. Instead he is looking for the best up-and-comers and I believe casting a wider net gives the Packers a better chance at hitting gold.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I doubt it happens, but it seems the coaches (and coordinators) are in need of a shake-up and this could make it happen. I wouldn't sack LaFleur just yet, but Gute imposing change on LaFleur can be seen as the first warning that things need to change. If that fails to work, then maybe a new head coach is a future consideration.

This wouldn't be the first time a coach is told to remove one or more coaches/coordinators, so head coaches by now fully understand the sub-text of these demands.

Murphy and Gute should tell him that they are opening the purse strings to allow him the resources to bring in any coordinator he sees fit.  If he's like, well fellas I think we're pretty good there then then need to tell him that they are not satisfied.

14 minutes ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

Hire a 4-3 DC. Gary and LVN are both heavier for edges that fit better with their hand in the dirt.

I don't know how much 4-3, 3-4 matters these days.  We just need a DC that is balls to the wall aggressive.  Players love pinning their ears back and attacking offenses.  The passive crap just hangs players out to dry.  I did see that the Packers are blitzing at a much higher rate this year, but there always seem to be situations deficiencies that doom us, and Barry tends to be passive and revert back to bend but don't break style too often.

1 minute ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I don't know how much 4-3, 3-4 matters these days.  We just need a DC that is balls to the wall aggressive.  Players love pinning their ears back and attacking offenses.  The passive crap just hangs players out to dry.  I did see that the Packers are blitzing at a much higher rate this year, but there always seem to be situations deficiencies that doom us, and Barry tends to be passive and revert back to bend but don't break style too often.

There should be 4 players with their hands in the dirt every down. 

4 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

This is usually the last stage before the HC gets fired himself.  If MLF doesn’t make changes this offseason, I think that’s a clear indicator of his incompetence as well as the FO who would allow him to refrain from making those moves. That’s an even bigger problem to be addressed.  

Murphy isn’t retiring until 2025 (ugh). If we were to clean house, he’d be the one pulling the trigger, right?  I don’t want him to be the one selecting the next FO, GM and indirectly the HC. I don’t want him anywhere near those decisions and if this season really goes off the rails, I don’t want us to wait until 2025.  Can we force him to retire early if need be?

• Like 1

12 hours ago, thrILL! said:

lol but hey we held them under 20, right? 😑

This is actually the biggest reason I am kind of out of LaFleur. Forget for a second that his offense looks like **** and he's poor at coming up with a gameplan. He continues to stand behind Barry and has no backbone to do anything about it. Hiring Barry is is LaFleur. Keeping him around is on LaFleur. It's laughable. 

• Like 1