Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

I can tell you one thing, if we keep Barry, I'm not investing anything of value in the DB position. This team gives up the same production with Ja, Douglas, Stokes, Amos and Savage as it does with Valentine, Ballentine, Owens, Nixon and AJJ. Because we don't actually cover the first 8 yards of the field until teams get into the red zone.

All capital should be spent on OL, DL and pass catchers. DBs are minimally valuable in this system as it's so conservative.

• Like 7

4 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I am having trouble discerning whether people are just ranting, or actually think there is a chance MLF might move on from Barry after the season.  It's obvious that Barry is very much on track to keep his position.

This is the place my original comment came from. It’s not that I think Barry is good. It’s that there’s almost no way MLF fires him. They’re playing well enough for me to be at peace with it 

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

It will go back down in the coming weeks when we don't shut down NY, TB and CAR because that's what this scheme does. 

It is legit hilarious how much this sounds exactly like the posts from 3 weeks ago heading into the LAC, DET, KC stretch of games.  Barry's defense will be exposed!  Humiliated!  Run off the field!

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

lmao

in what world is using the most comprehensive data set available a "cop out"

this is all loser talk from intellectually dishonest posters tbh

If the most comprehensive data set says giving up 60+% on 3rd down and almost 6 yards per carry is good defense, I think we can burry DVOA where it belongs then.

You and I both know it doesn't, and by not answering the questions and hiding behind and improvement in rankings that you have NO IDEA how we got (we could be playing the same 25th caliber defense while other teams have gotten even worse) you're a total copout. 

The defense last night was one play on either side of the ball away from blowing it, and Valentine did blow it and the refs were kind enough not to call it. That's how you want to roll with Love eh? Got Rodgers a lot of SBs didn't it??

4 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Bears (Fields) - 19
Rams (Mayfield) - 12
Dolphins (Tua) - 20
Vikings (Cousins) - 17
Lions (Goff) - 20
Bears (Fields) - 20
Falcons (Ridder) - 25
Saints (Carr/Winston) - 18
Lions (Goff) - 34
Raiders (Garoppolo) - 17
Broncos (Wilson) - 19
Vikings (Cousins) - 24
Rams (Rypien) - 3
Steelers (Pickett) - 23
Chargers (Herbert) - 20 (but we all know why)
Lions (Goff) - 22
Chiefs (Mahomes) - 19

Vaunted QB schedule there, my man. I'm sure glad you're proud of holding those all-pros under 3 tuds. Glad that's good enough for you and your buddy. 

Now do Barry's entire tenure

Browns defence, rated number 1 in yards per game and many other stats:

vs Cinci - 3 points  (crocked Burrow)
vs Steelers - 26 points (****e Kenny)
vs Titans - 3 points (a has been Tanny)
vs Baltimore - 28 points (to MVP Lamar)
vs San Fran - 17 points (to MVP Brock)
vs Colts - 38 points (to Mustache Minshew)
vs Seattle - 24 points (to Geno)
vs Cards - 0 points (to Clayton Tune, who?)
vs Baltimore - 31 points (to MVP Lamar)
vs Steelers - 10 points (to ****e Kenny)
vs Denver - 29 points (to miracle man Wilson)
vs LA Rams - 36 points to Stafford

Not many amazing QBs on that list either and they have let Kenny Pickett, Garnder Minshew, Geno Smith, Wilson and Stafford all score more than 24 points on them. 

If we are talking about keeping vaunted QBs in check it is only Brock Purdy to 17 points.

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

If the most comprehensive data set says giving up 60+% on 3rd down and almost 6 yards per carry is good defense, I think we can burry DVOA where it belongs then.

You and I both know it doesn't, and by not answering the questions and hiding behind and improvement in rankings that you have NO IDEA how we got (we could be playing the same 25th caliber defense while other teams have gotten even worse) you're a total copout. 

The defense last night was one play on either side of the ball away from blowing it, and Valentine did blow it and the refs were kind enough not to call it. That's how you want to roll with Love eh? Got Rodgers a lot of SBs didn't it??

this is more intellectual dishonesty.

Most NFL games are close. Most defenses would look worse if they actually blew it the times that they didn't. What an inane observation lol

MLF doesn't need to fire Joe Barry. He's in the last year of his deal. There's legitimately zero reason to retain him. We have three years of evidence as to why you don't retain him and nothing that's been done the last two weeks alleviates those concerns. We are still bleeding like a stuck pig against the run and still can't get off the field on 3rd down. Personnel issues are still a cause of concern in year damn 3. 

What the hell game are you guys watching? Because you're not watching the same game myself or @Packerraymond are if you think this defense is a successful one.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

MLF doesn't need to fire Joe Barry. He's in the last year of his deal. There's legitimately zero reason to retain him. We have three years of evidence as to why you don't retain him and nothing that's been done the last two weeks alleviates those concerns. We are still bleeding like a stuck pig against the run and still can't get off the field on 3rd down. Personnel issues are still a cause of concern in year damn 3. 

What the hell game are you guys watching? Because you're not watching the same game myself or @Packerraymond are if you think this defense is a successful one.

Man, the change in attitude over Joe Barry is not one I ever envisioned. 

Packer fans are wild!

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Browns defence, rated number 1 in yards per game and many other stats:

I am not a Cleveland Browns fan. I don't give two ****s about what they do. I don't watch their games nor do I have the context of how those points were allowed because just citing PPG shows me absolutely nothing.

Just now, Rainmaker90 said:

Man, the change in attitude over Joe Barry is not one I ever envisioned. 

Packer fans are wild!

I am loyal to the truth as it presents itself to me.

The truth is that Barry's defense is totally different recently than earlier in the year and it's worth:

(1) simply acknowledging it and not denying it to sooth one's ego

(2) figuring out why (more important for MLF to do this than we fans, of course)

The reality is, this defense has been playing lights out recently. Probably top 5-10ish caliber football. Is it a flash in the pan? Will it continue?

If it does, Barry is probably back in GB.

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This ^

It's time for a change.

2 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

I am not a Cleveland Browns fan. I don't give two ****s about what they do. I don't watch their games nor do I have the context of how those points were allowed because just citing PPG shows me absolutely nothing.

Two of the TDs scored by the Steelers were a Watson pick six and a Watson fumble six. Their D has still been generally good vs. the pass but they've slipped vs. the run. Also, unsurprisingly, they've struggled more as their offense has gotten more incompetent.

• Like 1