Joe Barry'd again

Old Guy

Joe Barry'd  

49 members have voted

1. 1. What should the Packers do about their defensive coordinator?

• Fire MLF, he hired him
    • Fire Joe Barry immediately and get somebody who will play aggressive defense
    • MLF should lay down the law with Barry to stop playing not to lose, get aggressive
    • Ride it out and see what happens this season then make a decision
    • Joe Barry is great

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/14/2022 at 06:46 PM

1 minute ago, beekay414 said:

Detroit game? Sure. They balled out on Thanksgiving. Last night? No. They got dogwalked down the field all night.

The wild thing is they still gave up 140 yards on the ground and 324 passing yards to the Lions. The pass rush and Jared Goff going full Jared Goof were the keys.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Striker said:

The wild thing is they still gave up 140 yards on the ground and 324 passing yards to the Lions. The pass rush and Jared Goff going full Jared Goof were the keys.

if i were a victim of the much maligned "eye test", I'd also believe the defense played significantly better vs KC than DET overall. Felt less fluky for sure vs KC.

1 minute ago, Rainmaker90 said:

I’m all for metrics, but I would never put my full faith into one means of measuring . 

it's not one means. It's very literally EVERY means of measuring.

it's the collection of every on-the-field metric.

Its blindspot is not accounting for the personnel (i.e. if a back-up QB is playing). Otherwise, it's the gold standard.

Edited by incognito_man

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

DVOA accounts for those numbers.

and then wraps it in a plethora of additional context

just pure intellectual dishonesty. There's nothing else to say about it.

In any ranking, is it easier to go from 28-18 or 18-8?

My guess is we'll stay right around 16-20. If that's good enough for you, so be it.

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

Its blindspot is not accounting for the personnel (i.e. if a back-up QB is playing). Otherwise, it's the gold standard.

Does it account for how wide ******* open guys are in the scheme? Or are my eyes just too ******* dumb to figure that one out?

Edited by beekay414

Just now, incognito_man said:

if i were a victim of the much maligned "eye test", I'd also believe the defense played significantly better vs KC than DET overall. Felt less fluky for sure vs KC.

Well, the "eye test"/matchup based positional analysis/whatever you want to call it based way of looking at things also pointed out the major flaws with the #7 DVOA Lions, which were what doomed them vs. the #17 DVOA Packers on Thanksgiving (bad secondary getting exposed if the opposing OL holds up, Jared Goff).

It's a useful tool that can get you close to predicting outcomes, but it's not the end all be all. 

• Like 1

Just now, incognito_man said:

It is though. It’s 1 method. How it collects its data doesn’t change the fact that it’s one means of measuring. Youre looking at one means of assessment and that’s pretty frowned upon anywhere else. I’m not saying don’t use it, but there has to be more.