How 🔥 is McDaniels Seat?

RaidersAreOne

4 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Positive spin: We're probably going to be drafting high enough to get a QB 80-90% of this forum will be happy with for the next 3 years soon and we can all stop fighting over Carr. 

Just watched a interview with jeff from the athletic and he said basically only Brady was smart enough to get the offense quickly. How’s a rookie gonna survive under jmd. 

1 hour ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Bp I need you to put your positive spin on this

Sure no problem,

With most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle. They likely thought they had enough skill on offense to offset deficiencies elsewhere on the roster this year. Problem however, those player only played ~40 snaps together, it never took off and those weak areas were exposed. 

Some of it is on the players. And a lot of it is on the coaches to adjust based on what they do have.

They have evaluated and will continue to. They will have a full slate of draft picks and then some. And money to spend in FA. They can overhaul the roster as they wish and we get to judge them accordingly. 

Edited by big_palooka

18 minutes ago, Jeremy408 said:

Well i mean there was Mac Jones....

Defense, blocking, and the run game made Mac though. 

In true hindsight, he wasn't really that impressive last year, he was just meme'd into stardom because Lawrence, Fields, and Lance were so bad/in such bad situations. 

And by all accounts, Mac is apparently one of the brighter QBs in the league between the ears. 

I still maintain Davis Mills is better than Mac, just in a much worse situation. 

If we had a defense, blocking, and run game for a rookie to lean on, I'd feel much better about taking one. 

Speaking of Mills, and this is open to debate about his ability, but what really separates us from Houston? They have a pretty dang good RB, a WR that's a true weapon in Cooks, and a bunch of meh role players to go with bad blocking and defense. I call it a testament to Mills myself. But it's partly because it's rare a guy in Mills' position doesn't utterly flop. 

We take a rookie QB and play him in 2023, we're looking at Jared Goff rookie season levels of ugly, if not worse. Difference being, Mark apparently isn't Stan and willing to drop a bad coach. My fear is we take a rookie with potential and wind up ditching him for a new one again after a couple of bad years only to watch someone else actually give him something. 

I get 2018 Cardinals vibes from our 2023 outlook if we go QB early. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, NickButera said:

Positive spin: We're probably going to be drafting high enough to get a QB 80-90% of this forum will be happy with for the next 3 years soon and we can all stop fighting over Carr. 

We'll just be fighting over JMD/DZ when that QB isn't having a Herbert caliber season as a rookie.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

In true hindsight, he wasn't really that impressive last year, he was just meme'd into stardom because Lawrence, Fields, and Lance were so bad/in such bad situations. 

And by all accounts, Mac is apparently one of the brighter QBs in the league between the ears. 

I still maintain Davis Mills is better than Mac, just in a much worse situation. 

If we had a defense, blocking, and run game for a rookie to lean on, I'd feel much better about taking one. 

Speaking of Mills, and this is open to debate about his ability, but what really separates us from Houston? They have a pretty dang good RB, a WR that's a true weapon in Cooks, and a bunch of meh role players to go with bad blocking and defense. I call it a testament to Mills myself. But it's partly because it's rare a guy in Mills' position doesn't utterly flop. 

We take a rookie QB and play him in 2023, we're looking at Jared Goff rookie season levels of ugly, if not worse. Difference being, Mark apparently isn't Stan and willing to drop a bad coach. My fear is we take a rookie with potential and wind up ditching him for a new one again after a couple of bad years only to watch someone else actually give him something. 

Oh I know I'm just explaining what someone else who's trying to build jmd's status will say lol

Edited by Jeremy408

10 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

this is how i feel. We throw Carr under the bus, pick a QB early. Josh proves hes a bust, gets fired and we start all over with a new coach who may or may not like the QB we just ook the year prior. I think Josh needs to prove he can build a team around the QB he decided was good enough to give an extension to. Youre really going to trust a guy to draft your QBoTF who just sold you on extending a QB, then decides hes no good a year later?

11 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

This is one of the reasons that I don't want a QB in the 1st round. It would be prudent IMO to get a developmental QB in day 2 or 3 of the draft. If said QB doesn't learn the offense or there is a prospect the Raiders really like in the next draft, then the loss is minimal.

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Bull**** Mark owns 47%. He has to pay half and rest of part owners pay the rest. Plus doesn't Josh make 4 million a year for 4 years?? He already gets paid for this year. So at most its 12 million over the remaining 3 years of the contract. Mark has to pay 6 million. People are trying to say the Raiders an 4+ billion team doesn't have extra 2 million a year?

I could be wrong about numbers but not by much.

Agreed. Not too sure on the specifics of how he would get paid off, but considering the cash that must be rolling in now that we’re in Vegas, I’m just not buying it that we’re too poor to fire McDaniels.

Mark may well give McDaniels next season, but I think that’ll be more down to him being patient/loyal/stubborn (delete as you see fit) rather than for financial reasons.

37 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Sure no problem,

With most things, the truth is somewhere in the middle. They likely thought they had enough skill on offense to offset deficiencies elsewhere on the roster this year. Problem however, those player only played ~40 snaps together, it never took off and those weak areas were exposed. 

Some of it is on the players. And a lot of it is on the coaches to adjust based on what they do have.

They have evaluated and will continue to. They will have a full slate of draft picks and then some. And money to spend in FA. They can overhaul the roster as they wish and we get to judge them accordingly. 

🍻

explain the signing of Adams and chandler to supervise the rebuild.

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Geezy said:

this is how i feel. We throw Carr under the bus, pick a QB early. Josh proves hes a bust, gets fired and we start all over with a new coach who may or may not like the QB we just ook the year prior. I think Josh needs to prove he can build a team around the QB he decided was good enough to give an extension to. Youre really going to trust a guy to draft your QBoTF who just sold you on extending a QB, then decides hes no good a year later?

This all sounds good in theory. Except for Carr's salary and how it limits them building the roster. 

If you take Stroud/Young, I imagine many coaches would line up to work with them

6 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

This all sounds good in theory. Except for Carr's salary and how it limits them building the roster. 

If you take Stroud/Young, I imagine many coaches would line up to work with them

We can move his salary around. I wouldn’t mind starting over with Stroud, Young is a little too small for me. I just pray we don’t get stuck with a guy like Levis and go backwards. I’d prefer we land a blue chip DL, then go grab a QB to groom later. 

• Like 1

On 11/14/2022 at 9:17 AM, big_palooka said:

@ronjon1990 Davis isn't going to pay another coach not to coach most likely. So we appear stuck with him. What's the solution in that sense?

Easy to say cut him loose, but at what cost and how do you get a good coach when you're paying 2 that walked?

Hire a new position in charge of overseeing and have them take all HC duties and have Josh just focus on the offense. Expensive OC but got to pay him either way so overseer just makes the whole thing work. 

According to Bill Plaske and a couple other beat writers, what they hear from inside the organization is that, the only reason McDaniels won’t be fired at the end of the year is financial reasons. The team is cash poor and cannot afford to pay the remainder of McDaniels contract and a new coach. Therefore, McDaniels is guaranteed not to be fired until at least during the season of his second year. 

That’s not very assuring news, I’d be ok with a year two of McDaniels if the reasons were valid and reassuring. But the reason is because we “have to”? That’s not reassuring at all. That’s the definition of a dysfunctional and mismanaged organization. We need new ownership… we’ve needed new ownership since 2004. Al went full senile and Mark Davis is an idiot and doesn’t have any kind of football mind. 

• Like 1