How 🔥 is McDaniels Seat?

RaidersAreOne

33 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Got it..... So you are among the Raider fans who hate that the Patriot way came to Vegas and that is where your vitriol comes from. At least I know what I am dealing with now.

Why wouldn’t anyone be sus of the patriot way? No one has succeeded from that coaching tree or organization heck even BB hasn’t had very much success post Brady. 

Personally I really wanted Harbaugh last season I don’t think his failures in SF were solely on him. He probably would have had a GM to work with him that he’d trust. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, big_palooka said:

Got it..... So you are among the Raider fans who hate that the Patriot way came to Vegas and that is where your vitriol comes from. At least I know what I am dealing with now.

The Patriot way that has worked virtually nowhere else? Yeah, I wasn't happy about it. 

However, no, I simply don't care to rehash who I would've preferred. Go look it up. It's around. It's also irrelevant because our stooge of an owner made his bed with Josh and Dave. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The Patriot way that has worked virtually nowhere else? Yeah, I wasn't happy about it. 

However, no, I simply don't care to rehash who I would've preferred. Go look it up. It's around. It's also irrelevant because our stooge of an owner made his bed with Josh and Dave. 

It's a difference in being just skeptical or negative about the Patriot way or being overly critical about it.

Personally I think you get to be overly critical at some times, although I also see that you acknowledge good things from the new regime.

But there are also those guys that only look for mistakes.
(Adams broke the single season WR record - "iT's OnLy BeCaUsE hE iS oUr OnLy OpTiOn oN WR")

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Styrian Raider said:

It's a difference in being just skeptical or negative about the Patriot way or being overly critical about it.

Personally I think you get to be overly critical at some times, although I also see that you acknowledge good things from the new regime.

But there are also those guys that only look for mistakes.
(Adams broke the single season WR record - "iT's OnLy BeCaUsE hE iS oUr OnLy OpTiOn oN WR")

Said it before, I think Josh is a fine enough OC, and probably a great one when it comes to run games. His history of RBs speaks for itself. 

But we didn't hire him to be an OC. His history as a HC and leader also speaks for itself. 

Plenty of great coordinators were terrible head coaches. Many never got second chances. Unfortunately for Josh, in my opinion, this wasn't his first time as a HC. Had it been, I would give much more benefit of the doubt. We regressed, plain and simple. The offense- play calling, execution, all of it- was a mess all season long, save for the sporadic moments every other quarter or so we'd manage to run the score up, and the defense was, frankly, pathetic, particularly in game management situations. 

For a guy with nearly 20 years as the heir apparent to the greatest HC of all time, on his second stint as a HC, I think it's perfectly valid to point out that it wasn't just underwhelming, it was a borderline disaster. And that's not just a new issue for him....

I see a lot of similarities between his stint in Denver and here. By the end of the first year, he has no long term QB (ability to draft one is TBD as he's only drafted one, even though a bad choice but show me a guy who has nothing but great luck with QBs), the run game is rock solid, the passing attack is good although somewhat one- dimensional, and the defense is looking pretty grim as time goes on. 

The question I have for the people who want to defend him is pretty simple: What has he ever done to warrant the optimism for the role he has, not had? 

I don't know about you, but I have very few positive takeaways from this year. At the end of last year, we had:

A franchise QB in place that helped navigate a series of unprecedented disasters (regardless of whether one was a Carr fan or not), a franchise TE ready to rebound, a slot WR many called the one of the best slot WRs in the game, a decent but sort of underwhelming RB, and a defense that played inspired and fought tooth and nail despite the talent disparity. 

Fast forward, we have:

No QB in place and are relying on the hope of a rental savior and a QBOTF we have no idea what will cost to get and whether he's Patrick Mahomes or Zach Wilson, a franchise TE most are ready to trade, the best WR in the game but a slot WR that looked totally lost out there, a great RB situation that's going to cost a small fortune to keep in place, and a defense that was a total embarrassment. 

I see more hard to fill holes that sprang up most people didn't see coming and very few options with which to fill them and inexplicable regressions than I see improvement. To boot, we started out on the wrong foot in a horribly embarrassing fashion- not playing starters in preseason was a rookie move and why we didn't really start getting chemistry until mid-season; not having a set starting OL- I'm sorry, but rotating guys in and out as long and often as we did is also a rookie mistake. Those are undeniable warts. 

A more pressing concern I have (and been vehemently vocal about) is the lack of accountability. Sure, he says the right stuff....I guess. But where were the adjustments? OL was a horrid mess early and virtually no changes were made. It took weeks to not keep trying the same plays that kept not working (Adams jet sweeps, anyone?), and it wasn't until the end of the year anyone got benched- Carr, who frankly, looks better given that Stidham looked just as bad with sacks, fumbles, picks, etc. (And I give Josh a pass here as he was apparently not the one to make that decision). 

Moreover, how does Patrick Graham still have a job? Week after week it was the same story almost like clockwork and I noticed not a single adjustment being made. The guy wasn't just lost out there, he was grossly incompetent. He should've been given the axe by week 9. Forget scholarship players, get rid of the scholarship coaches. 

How does that influence my opinion of McDaniels as the boss? Well, I see a concerning pattern of simply trying to force things to work by shill will of not giving up on them as though they've eventually gotta work. The first mark of a great HC is being able to admit something isn't working, and I simply do not see that from Josh. Something wasn't working with Carr, but we didn't modify course or throw in the towel early, it took the owner apparently stepping in to force that. I think Carr got scapegoated, but that goes waaaaaay beyond Josh McDaniels. But to me it shows he's not willing or able to make adjustments.

When guys are repeatedly running routes wrong late in the year, there's an issue. And something I noticed and mentioned a few weeks back was that the offense looks its best when we're running trick plays (unsustainable) or when it looks like Carr and Adams were just playing chuck-it-and-f*ck it out there like two bros playing catch. 

In the last week, Denver has courted both Jim Harbaugh and Sean Payton. Andy Reid is 1b to Bill at this point, it's not even just #2. Brandon Staley is still a goober, but might get canned with an early playoff exit- even still a feat Josh has never achieved as the top guy. And the best defense of Josh has simply been "He was a great OC with the best HC and QB the NFL has ever seen". That's it. And yeah, he indeed had great success as the Patriots OC. But this isn't New England and he's not just the OC. 

12 months ago, we were prepping for a playoff appearance after navigating the toughest season a single team has probably ever seen and we're poised to be the second best team in a stacked division we were routinely competitive in. A month or so from now, we may have the 4th best HC in the division and the only one to never have a winning season or make the playoffs, much less a playoff win or worse if LA goes on some improbable deep run. 

To me, it's all just a recipe for letdown. And I mean, come on, it's practically an unkept secret that Davis retaining him is practically only because he's pinching pennies following his embarrassing Gruden affair. I have no faith in the guy as a HC because he's done nothing to earn it, and he's only sticking around because our owner is incompetently cheap and inept at business. I fail to see how that's at all inspirational and just don't see a point in pretending the reality is something different.

All signs point to getting Brady to come save us for a year- and if you need Tom Brady in order to be successful, you're not going to be successful very long. That basically sums up Josh McDaniels for me at this point until proven otherwise- he needs Tom Brady. And that being the case, he shouldn't be a HC. It's not pretty or positive or full of butterflies, flowers, and good times. But it's reality, not copium. 🤷🏼‍♂️

• Like 1

3 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Said it before, I think Josh is a fine enough OC, and probably a great one when it comes to run games. His history of RBs speaks for itself. 

But we didn't hire him to be an OC. His history as a HC and leader also speaks for itself. 

Plenty of great coordinators were terrible head coaches. Many never got second chances. Unfortunately for Josh, in my opinion, this wasn't his first time as a HC. Had it been, I would give much more benefit of the doubt. We regressed, plain and simple. The offense- play calling, execution, all of it- was a mess all season long, save for the sporadic moments every other quarter or so we'd manage to run the score up, and the defense was, frankly, pathetic, particularly in game management situations. 

For a guy with nearly 20 years as the heir apparent to the greatest HC of all time, on his second stint as a HC, I think it's perfectly valid to point out that it wasn't just underwhelming, it was a borderline disaster. And that's not just a new issue for him....

I see a lot of similarities between his stint in Denver and here. By the end of the first year, he has no long term QB (ability to draft one is TBD as he's only drafted one, even though a bad choice but show me a guy who has nothing but great luck with QBs), the run game is rock solid, the passing attack is good although somewhat one- dimensional, and the defense is looking pretty grim as time goes on. 

The question I have for the people who want to defend him is pretty simple: What has he ever done to warrant the optimism for the role he has, not had? 

I don't know about you, but I have very few positive takeaways from this year. At the end of last year, we had:

A franchise QB in place that helped navigate a series of unprecedented disasters (regardless of whether one was a Carr fan or not), a franchise TE ready to rebound, a slot WR many called the one of the best slot WRs in the game, a decent but sort of underwhelming RB, and a defense that played inspired and fought tooth and nail despite the talent disparity. 

Fast forward, we have:

No QB in place and are relying on the hope of a rental savior and a QBOTF we have no idea what will cost to get and whether he's Patrick Mahomes or Zach Wilson, a franchise TE most are ready to trade, the best WR in the game but a slot WR that looked totally lost out there, a great RB situation that's going to cost a small fortune to keep in place, and a defense that was a total embarrassment. 

I see more hard to fill holes that sprang up most people didn't see coming and very few options with which to fill them and inexplicable regressions than I see improvement. To boot, we started out on the wrong foot in a horribly embarrassing fashion- not playing starters in preseason was a rookie move and why we didn't really start getting chemistry until mid-season; not having a set starting OL- I'm sorry, but rotating guys in and out as long and often as we did is also a rookie mistake. Those are undeniable warts. 

A more pressing concern I have (and been vehemently vocal about) is the lack of accountability. Sure, he says the right stuff....I guess. But where were the adjustments? OL was a horrid mess early and virtually no changes were made. It took weeks to not keep trying the same plays that kept not working (Adams jet sweeps, anyone?), and it wasn't until the end of the year anyone got benched- Carr, who frankly, looks better given that Stidham looked just as bad with sacks, fumbles, picks, etc. (And I give Josh a pass here as he was apparently not the one to make that decision). 

Moreover, how does Patrick Graham still have a job? Week after week it was the same story almost like clockwork and I noticed not a single adjustment being made. The guy wasn't just lost out there, he was grossly incompetent. He should've been given the axe by week 9. Forget scholarship players, get rid of the scholarship coaches. 

How does that influence my opinion of McDaniels as the boss? Well, I see a concerning pattern of simply trying to force things to work by shill will of not giving up on them as though they've eventually gotta work. The first mark of a great HC is being able to admit something isn't working, and I simply do not see that from Josh. Something wasn't working with Carr, but we didn't modify course or throw in the towel early, it took the owner apparently stepping in to force that. I think Carr got scapegoated, but that goes waaaaaay beyond Josh McDaniels. But to me it shows he's not willing or able to make adjustments.

When guys are repeatedly running routes wrong late in the year, there's an issue. And something I noticed and mentioned a few weeks back was that the offense looks its best when we're running trick plays (unsustainable) or when it looks like Carr and Adams were just playing chuck-it-and-f*ck it out there like two bros playing catch. 

In the last week, Denver has courted both Jim Harbaugh and Sean Payton. Andy Reid is 1b to Bill at this point, it's not even just #2. Brandon Staley is still a goober, but might get canned with an early playoff exit- even still a feat Josh has never achieved as the top guy. And the best defense of Josh has simply been "He was a great OC with the best HC and QB the NFL has ever seen". That's it. And yeah, he indeed had great success as the Patriots OC. But this isn't New England and he's not just the OC. 

12 months ago, we were prepping for a playoff appearance after navigating the toughest season a single team has probably ever seen and we're poised to be the second best team in a stacked division we were routinely competitive in. A month or so from now, we may have the 4th best HC in the division and the only one to never have a winning season or make the playoffs, much less a playoff win or worse if LA goes on some improbable deep run. 

To me, it's all just a recipe for letdown. And I mean, come on, it's practically an unkept secret that Davis retaining him is practically only because he's pinching pennies following his embarrassing Gruden affair. I have no faith in the guy as a HC because he's done nothing to earn it, and he's only sticking around because our owner is incompetently cheap and inept at business. I fail to see how that's at all inspirational and just don't see a point in pretending the reality is something different.

All signs point to getting Brady to come save us for a year- and if you need Tom Brady in order to be successful, you're not going to be successful very long. That basically sums up Josh McDaniels for me at this point until proven otherwise- he needs Tom Brady. And that being the case, he shouldn't be a HC. It's not pretty or positive or full of butterflies, flowers, and good times. But it's reality, not copium. 🤷🏼‍♂️

To start with, I'm not a big fan of the patriots or Tom Brady in general. I wanted Harbaugh as a HC, for several reasons.

I understand your point of view and your thoughts are very reasonable.

Here are my thoughts:

Reflecting the last year there is one big mistake the raiders organisation and the new regime did.
First they set the expectation sky high, with all the interviews where they were saying it's rather a retooling than an rebuild. On top of that we made the splash FA-singings of Davante Adams and Chandler Jones, which even created higher expectations. I also expected more with that. Finally that this would be the year that we can compete with the Chiefs in the division.

With all the whirlwind of these signings we didn't see that we almost entirely changed the roster on the defense side (Jefferson, Thomas, Vickers, Philon, Ngakoue, Littleton,  Kwiatkoski, Facyson, Hayward, Wright - later in the season Mullen, Abram, Gillespie), allthough some of theme weren't considered that good.
I think those moves were important for a fresh start and a new era but probably nothing you should/would do if you're retooling your roster to start a run for the playoffs that season. Especially when you ultimatetly start your draft in the 3rd round and your only defense compensation of the dismantling are a 4th and 5th round pick.

Next I think we were a little unlucky regarding the O-Line. We were expecting that Leatherwood, Good and Parker to at least be reasonable parts of the roster. Along with Elumenor, Simpson, James and Miller these was pretty the same O-Line we had the year before and whith which Carr had confidence.
But things went different - Leatherwood refused to play RG and was cut, Parker got an injury and Good retired:
Suddenly the whole right side of the OL was a problem. We had to pick up the leftovers from other franchises and pray that our Rookies would step up early.
I think that's one reason why we tried different formations on the O-Line.
That we cut Simpson later in the season was IMO more of a premature move that would've been happened in the off-season if we really had chances to turn the season around.

Not giving the considered starters/stars some playtime in the pre-season is a double-edged sword in my opinion.
If you give your stars the playtime they will learn the new scheme for sure better, but you also have the risk of an injury caused by an overmotivated 3rd-stringer.

So you're asking why I have the optimism that things will get better next season?

Well, our offense had those moments, where you had seen great plays, great play design.
For example the walk-off TD from Adams against Denver.

Also you have there the much quoted "adjustments".
This play worked because of one little adjustment the raiders made. Earlier in the game we already run that play,
but Adams was running to the left of the field and I think it was a great defended pass from Surtain.
On this TD Surtain recognizes that play again and Adams changed the direction.
Carr was always looking at Adams, so I don't think it was "Adams' idea" to run that way.

This is just one example that comes into my mind - but I've seen more of this beautiful plays (also plays that were designed great, but weren't executed right).
That's what makes me optimistic for next year.

Also that JMD made the ghost of Cam Newton look reasonable and the rookie season of Mac Jones makes me optimistic that if we find the missing pieces in the O-Line, and that Waller and Renfrow start to function in the new system we are on a good spot next year.

defense-wise I see it like that:

We completly dismantled the defense in the last offseason, like I wrote above.
Not even Bill Belichik would've made a great defense whith those ingredients and PG is by far not on the same level then he is. That's the reason why I say "Give that man some talent, let him build the defense and then we can judge".

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Fast forward, we have:

A lot of these key points will be ignored especially the similar traits to Denver bit 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

1 hour ago, Jeremy408 said:

A lot of these key points will be ignored especially the similar traits to Denver bit 

I don't see any similarities and think he's changed in regard to player management and how he relates to them.

His biggest issues in Denver was young and didn't related to people well. He had a big ego and clashed with players. He tried to do his best Bill Belichick impersonation and it failed. 

He wanted to trade for Matt Cassel and that blew up with Cutler (who was nothing special in Chicago). 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Fast forward, we have:

Love it.... anything to create a narrative right?

Waller was injured most the season, but looked good down the stretch. Affordable player going forward. Renfrow, also injured and missed a ton of time. Cost them both a lot of reps to get rhythm in the offense.

Best WR in the game just had 14 TDs and 1500 yards while all while the QB stopped targeting him for stretches. 

Jacobs - dropped weight and showed out. He's 25 and earned every penny. Raiders will have a ton of cap, and a star RB is a drop in the bucket. Oh, and he was also the rushing champ in this offense. 

Defense has been an embarrassment since 2002. Let look to the last regime trading a HOF edge player and blowing 12 top 100 picks as a massive part of the current reason why. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

The defense needs 8-9 new starters this offseason. How do you expect a defense to operate effectively if players cannot win their match ups?

Did you see the 49ers run Aiyuk on 4 straight slant patters that Hobbs could not defend and the LB was to slow to drop into space? 

Did he have some dumb calls, yes. Rushing 3 and giving teams an easy double on Crosby is ridiculous for example. But to sit there and say he shouldn't have a job when he has nothing to work with, is incredibly bias. What DC would have fared better with this group?

2 hours ago, Styrian Raider said:

With all the whirlwind of these signings we didn't see that we almost entirely changed the roster on the defense side (Jefferson, Thomas, Vickers, Philon, Ngakoue, Littleton,  Kwiatkoski, Facyson, Hayward, Wright - later in the season Mullen, Abram, Gillespie), allthough some of theme weren't considered that good.

Actually I did mention this both in the off-season and during the season. Very good point nonetheless. 

Like for all the complaining that everybody has about how we can't rush the passer because of "lack of talent" my take from the beginning was that we got rid of all the pass rushers. Quinton Jefferson(who only gets paid 5mil btw) had 4.5 sacks last year and 5.5 this year our IDL had a sum total of 2.5. one of those IDL Bilal Nichols gets paid 5mil also which means that retaining Quinton Jefferson was not an issue of money. 

Yannick Ngakwuoe was also not an issue of money because he was already under contract and gets paid 4 Mil less than Chandler Jones(despite being 7 years younger. Chandler Jones got 4.5 sacks; Yannick got 9.5 sacks. A question that needs to be asked is how good is the GM comes to roster evaluation and talent evaluation. Thats something of concern because we created your own pass rushing problems while spending more money at the position. 

12 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

The defense needs 8-9 new starters this offseason. How do you expect a defense to operate effectively if players cannot win their match ups?

Did you see the 49ers run Aiyuk on 4 straight slant patters that Hobbs could not defend and the LB was to slow to drop into space? 

Did he have some dumb calls, yes. Rushing 3 and giving teams an easy double on Crosby is ridiculous for example. But to sit there and say he shouldn't have a job when he has nothing to work with, is incredibly bias. What DC would have fared better with this group?

Hobbs didn't have those problems when he was a nickel corner maybe he's out of position.

How about how we spent more money on the pass rush and got worse at both edge rush and interior? 

Like for all the complaining that everybody has about how we can't rush the passer because of "lack of talent" my take from the beginning was that we got rid of all the pass rushers. Quinton Jefferson(who only gets paid 5mil btw) had 4.5 sacks last year and 5.5 this year our IDL had a sum total of 2.5. one of those IDL Bilal Nichols gets paid 5mil also which means that retaining Quinton Jefferson was not an issue of money. 

Yannick Ngakwuoe was also not an issue of money because he was already under contract and gets paid 4 Mil less than Chandler Jones(despite being 7 years younger. Chandler Jones got 4.5 sacks; Yannick got 9.5 sacks. A question that needs to be asked is how good is the GM comes to roster evaluation and talent evaluation. Thats something of concern because we created your own pass rushing problems while spending more money at the position. 

Also it doesn't help when you drop Ferrell in the coverage just saying. 

What you're saying it linebackers true but wait a minute how come we didn't draft any linebackers with those traits other than two running backs that we kept on the roster and didn't really even use playing a 32-year-old running back over them. With those two draft picks maybe we could've drafted some developmental linebackers or some developmental corners

Edited by Jeremy408

38 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

I don't see any similarities and think he's changed in regard to player management and how he relates to them.

His biggest issues in Denver was young and didn't related to people well. He had a big ego and clashed with players. He tried to do his best Bill Belichick impersonation and it failed. 

He wanted to trade for Matt Cassel and that blew up with Cutler (who was nothing special in Chicago). 

Of course you don't. 

Your boner for McDaniels and Graham has been more apparent from day one without justification of any kind than BayRaider's blind hatred for Derek Carr on and off the field. 

2 hours ago, Jeremy408 said:

Hobbs didn't have those problems when he was a nickel corner maybe he's out of position.

How about how we spent more money on the pass rush and got worse at both edge rush and interior? 

Also it doesn't help when you drop Ferrell in the coverage just saying. 

What you're saying it linebackers true but wait a minute how come we didn't draft any linebackers with those traits other than two running backs that we kept on the roster and didn't really even use playing a 32-year-old running back over them. With those two draft picks maybe we could've drafted some developmental linebackers or some developmental corners

Hobbs was meant to move around in the defense and had to play outside due to injury. 

Chandler Jones was a bust signing, those will happen. The team ended with 5 less sacks than last year. It was a talent issue in 2021, same as 2022. Jefferson is a Seattle native. Sometimes, it's about where the player wants to be. Yannick was a one trick pony who sucked in run defense and gave poor effort in stages. Not to mention, it's often about scheme fit. 

LB, they signed Brown, Kizer and Fackrell. 2 ended up on IR before the season. They also lost Deablo, Brown and Perryman to injury. But I didn't see any 4th or 7th round rookies who would have made a difference. They have some young development guys.

For the record TALENT has been the issue on defense for 20 years. Woodson, Asomugha, Mack, Crosby are the only players this team drafted that have been notable on defense in 2 decades. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ronjon1990 said:

Of course you don't. 

Your boner for McDaniels and Graham has been more apparent from day one without justification of any kind than BayRaider's blind hatred for Derek Carr on and off the field. 

Again, why is everything so black and white with you? It's always gotta be I'm right, you're wrong with you people.

You'rer hatred for this regime from day 1 blinds you to any positives and optimism.

McDaniels was not my favorite for the job. I would be surprised if he makes it to year 3 honestly. But I'm a Raider fan and going to hope he proves people wrong. 

Everything has been mostly positive from the players. They are bought in. He deserves a shot with more of the types he is looking for. 

• Like 2