How 🔥 is McDaniels Seat?

RaidersAreOne

7 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

They weren’t even thinking of him playing in 2023. It’s why they drafted Zeus and tried a Rb by committee.  

I disagree. JMD has always used a RB by committee approach but they've still had a main lead back. They drafted Zamir as a potential replacement for JJ after this season though. Just like they drafted Damien Harris to replace Sony Michel and then drafted Rhomndrae Stevenson to replace Harris.

15 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Positives:

- Traded for Adams - home run, he's an all pro

- Extended Crosby - Home run, had a career year.

- Didn't pick up a 5th year option on Jacobs who didn't deserve it (literally nobody was arguing that decision in the offseason)

- Traded Edwards for a 5th - cut by Atlanta. 

- Traded Mullen for a 7th - cut by Arizona

- Traded Gillespie for a 7th - he had 2 ST tackles

- Cut dead weight like Abram (cut by Packers) and Leatherwood (bench by the Bears)

- Traded for Ya-Sin - allowed  323 yards, 31 receptions, a touchdown and a 82.5 QBR in 55 targets. Only played in 11 games, but was a solid corner who should be resigned. Yannik was not a scheme fit and a one dimensional player who will be a FA on his 6th team next year.... see the pattern?

- Draft Parham (3rd) who was among the best run blocking G's as a rookie. Munford looks better than the 7th round selection.

- Great deals on Harmon who became a solid starter, Billings and Hollins who had a career year and is a ST ace. Hall played well enough they extended him a year. 

- Cleaned up the books for 2023 and 2024.

Negatives:

- Chandler Jones deal. Silver lining, they can get out of it after next season unscathed

- Not addressing the Oline more seriously.

To be determined:

- Extensions:  Waller/Renfrow, TBD based on injury. Both contract tradable. 

- Carr - If they get good value in trade, this is a wash.

Carr and Adams made that trade and the Raiders over paid. Not that Adams isn't one of the best but because the Raiders had all the leverage.

16 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Offense produced two all-pro players. He lead an offense that made Mac Jones a pro bowl QB as a rookie. Offense showed flashes of brilliance despite injuries and and a suspect Oline. The team played hard, were in all but 2 games. 

Team has bought in and the leaders respect the message and have praised his transparency. This was not the case in Denver where he had a huge ego and didn't work well with people in the building.  

The similarities to Denver are what? Preferring his own QB which most coaches do.

Losing???

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

Carr and Adams made that trade and the Raiders over paid. Not that Adams isn't one of the best but because the Raiders had all the leverage.

The Raiders had all the leverage when he was under Packers control due to the franchise tag?

• Like 1

14 hours ago, big_palooka said:

Disagree with this. You want to win, get better leaders and players. It's clear they were hoping a loaded offense would offset their poor defense and it didn't work out. 

Mullen was always injured. And being the #3 here speaks more of the poor talent than his ability. AZ has terrible corners and he couldn't make it there. A draft pick for a player that wasn't going to be resigned after the season is good business. 

They tried to trade Abram all season, he had no value. Leatherwood was a healthy scratch for the Bears who's Oline is worse than the Raiders. He was beat pout by better players. Cutting bad players is good business. 

They had to clear a ton of bad contracts this season. Ended up with 49.5 mil in dead cap. Now sitting with the 9th most cap space in the league before moving Carr. And some ridiculous number in 2024. 

Yannick wasn't a system fit. Was a FA after the season. Simple as that. Jones is just a case of a great player hitting his wall. It is what it is. Stuck for one more season, but he won't burden the cap in 2023 so it wasn't the worst to take a shot.

We can agree to disagree on Adams.  Unless we go all in on a big talent QB his 3 year deal was a waste to me.  Traded to much draft capital that could be cornerstones of a growing team unless you think Z would have blown the picks.

Mullen was injured a lot but him not doing well is very similar to just about every CB when they go to a new team.  I do not know why but a lot of CBs play falls off when going to new teams.

Abram I understand.  Leatherwood is be forced to the right side in Chicago also.  I already brought this up when others said he sucked there earlier in the year.

We where set to be #1 or #2 in cap space and that was with the bad contracts.  We are 9th at $20 million but we were set to have over $100 million.  Now getting rid of Carr gets a nice chunk back but is still going to cost us over $5.6 million even if we trade him.  They had a lot of bad contracts and it cost a lot like you said but the trading Yannick, signing Jones, and needing to get rid of Carrs contract is costing us $40 million.

You can not say Jones is not a burden on the cap.  He got paid $7.8 this year, makes $19.4 next year, and even if we get rid of him he is still owed $7.2 for 2024.  He is getting paid $34.4 for 2 years of below average production if he does not pick it up.  Sorry but that is a bad contact to give a 32 year old DE and then act like there was no risk to him showing his age.

All of this is compounded because we are going into this offseason with a ton of holes and very little cheap young talent.  I am not saying fire Z but I am not impressed.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Jerry said:

Does anyone on this forum have faith in McDaniels as our HC?  Does anyone here think he's going to take us to the SB?

Just wondering.  I don't.  

I certainly don’t. I didn’t with Gruden either. 

It seems like JMD is doing the same things he did in Den. 

30 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I certainly don’t. I didn’t with Gruden either. 

It seems like JMD is doing the same things he did in Den. 

I'm thinking the exact same thing.  He's about to trade away a couple of our better players and then we'll end up with a horrible record to start the season (this season or the following) and M. Davis is going to have to fire him to save his team from being completely destroyed.  Sad part is it will probably already be too late.

21 hours ago, Jerry said:

I'm thinking the exact same thing.  He's about to trade away a couple of our better players and then we'll end up with a horrible record to start the season (this season or the following) and M. Davis is going to have to fire him to save his team from being completely destroyed.  Sad part is it will probably already be too late.

It's ok though, right? 

We'll do something like hire Mike Tomlin or some other long-ish tenured coach and he'll convince....I guess Aaron Rodgers?....to come save us with a Superbowl until we hire Rich Gannon to come run the team, at which point we'll go back into purgatory for a bit and eventually trade the house for a washed up Kyler Murray or something in like 8 years. 

I mean, history repeats itself, right? Right? 🥺

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's ok though, right? 

We'll do something like hire Mike Tomlin or some other long-ish tenured coach and he'll convince....I guess Aaron Rodgers?....to come save us with a Superbowl until we hire Rich Gannon to come run the team, at which point we'll go back into purgatory for a bit and eventually trade the house for a washed up Kyler Murray or something in like 8 years. 

I have very little faith in any of them.

Personally, I have 0 faith in JMD. Sadly, it’s not just him, but the whole coaching staff is underwhelming. Aside from maybe the OL coach who did a decent job with what he was given, everyone else is forgettable. The one shimmer of hope is DZ who I think may have enough juice to get this turned around. Probably not, but maybe….

22 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

It's ok though, right? 

This all looks about par for the course.

On 1/30/2023 at 12:27 PM, Jerry said:

Does anyone on this forum have faith in McDaniels as our HC?  Does anyone here think he's going to take us to the SB?

Just wondering.  I don't.  

Not really but I think he got somewhat of a raw deal in year one. The team was clearly lacking depth/talent across the board but they decided to make win now moves based on what was a pretty fluky season because that's what Mark Davis wanted. We're in a weird spot because we have a few core guys that point towards trying to win now but we just lack the talent and depth to be a consistent winner. And by the time we build that some of those guys will already be out of their prime, IMO. 

I'll be the odd man out here.... I believe in this group. If, and it's a big if Mark Davis can be patient, I truly think Ziegler and his guys in the FO can build something competitive long term here. They have some good talent evaluators and I buy into their vision of getting culture fits and building homegrown talent. 

McDaniels is a wild card. If they can identify a QB who has a good working relationship with him, I think he will excel as a play caller. He needs that trust in his QB first to be his extension on the field. 

I expect a marked improvement this season as they identify their fits and fill the holes accordingly.

2024 will be the year it comes together fully if Davis doesn't knee jerk and blow it up expecting the world in 2023. 

• Like 1