State of the Steelers

warfelg

Id definitely be hesitant to give Pickens a long term deal right now, but fortunately, we can evaluate where he is this year and cross that bridge next offseason or the 2026 offseason.

They better be prepared to spend alot of resources at WR next year if the maturity issues continue.

• Like 3

14 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Maybe? But there is also no correlation between one and the other. You can add age into that too, which is in this conversation. A year older does not make you more mature just as becoming mature will not make you give better effort. 

You made the bold above as a definitive statement -- but being mature doesn't mean you automatically are giving effort. Just because you don't egg houses anymore as an adult doesn't mean you are logging in at 9:00 PM to finish work emails each day. Going back to AB, loneybin of a guy that he was, effort was never the question. Throw a cooler on the sideline in frustration? Absolutely. That's immaturity. Give 100% to all his routes, practice, and off-season? Yes, and that's effort. 

They are not one in the same.

Work ethic and maturity are not the same, but you can connect them in a specific way. Being a hard worker does not necessarily make one mature, but being mature (in the sense of NFL) does i mean that they are putting in the work.

Maturity in the NFL means you are doing the work to make sure that you succeed.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, 43M said:

Id definitely be hesitant to give Pickens a long term deal right now, but fortunately, we can evaluate where he is this year and cross that bridge next offseason or the 2026 offseason.

They better be prepared to spend alot of resources at WR next year if the maturity issues continue.

Theyre dropping a $25 mill+ contract on a WR by this time next year…I just don’t know if it’s Pickens or somebody else.

• Like 3

Wilson seems like a hard worker/gym rat. Hopefully that motivates Pickens as well. I've also read that the new WR doesn't put up with a lot of BS. Lots of variables that would appear to be in Pickens favor to make some progress. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, AFF said:

Theyre dropping a $25 mill+ contract on a WR by this time next year…I just don’t know if it’s Pickens or somebody else.

And they should.

FWIW completely irrelevant but we've got the cheapest WR room in the NFL at about $11.5MM.  Conversely the 49ers have the largest at $55MM+.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, skywlker32 said:

Maturity in the NFL means you are doing the work to make sure that you succeed.

To what level of success though? It's hard for me to have watched George Pickens over the last two years and say he hasn't succeeded. But it's also pretty easy to watch full games back and see he clearly isn't giving full effort. 

So what's the level of success: Being the best you can be or being good enough? That's where paying him $30M without having a flip switch on effort becomes the big question. 

The NFL is full of 20 year old people who for most (if not all) of their lives woke up in the morning better than everyone around them. Pickens half-***** routes, throws his hands up, and makes insane catches. That's successful, but is it high end, $30M/year success?

13 minutes ago, 43M said:

d definitely be hesitant to give Pickens a long term deal right now, but fortunately, we can evaluate where he is this year and cross that bridge next offseason or the 2026 offseason.

I want Pickens on this team long term because I think his ceiling is insane, but I also wouldn't be against pushing him to the tag to see what the next 2 years brings. 

I hate effort questions. I think you can turn it on for short periods of time to get what you need, but I don't think guys will change their stripes. 

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

To what level of success though? It's hard for me to have watched George Pickens over the last two years and say he hasn't succeeded. But it's also pretty easy to watch full games back and see he clearly isn't giving full effort. 

So what's the level of success: Being the best you can be or being good enough? That's where paying him $30M without having a flip switch on effort becomes the big question. 

The NFL is full of 20 year old people who for most (if not all) of their lives woke up in the morning better than everyone around them. Pickens half-***** routes, throws his hands up, and makes insane catches. That's successful, but is it high end, $30M/year success?

I want Pickens on this team long term because I think his ceiling is insane, but I also wouldn't be against pushing him to the tag to see what the next 2 years brings. 

I hate effort questions. I think you can turn it on for short periods of time to get what you need, but I don't think guys will change their stripes. 

What I mean by success is success relative to their ability. Are they over/under achieving? I would argue a mature player is putting in an above average amount of time with good effort to hone their craft. Not putting full or ever half effort into your routes in practice (or even the game at times) to me is definitely a maturity issue.

His immaturity hurt GP when he was always doubled and he did not get the ball.  That and a bad playbook and QB play added up.  MR changed that to throw it to him whenever he was single covered.  I am not sure how much A. smith's playbook will help him but as long as R. Wilson is in there, the QB play will be vastly improved.

Fields may help if they need/want to throw it over the middle.  He has a much better arm then RW.  I think GP will start the year optimistic and we can only hope he stays happy with the playbook and QBs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope so. Khan gets my hopes up with his transactions. Now I'm a little addicted to them. I'm going through withdrawals post draft. 

I could see it being Markus Golden 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope so. Khan gets my hopes up with his transactions. Now I'm a little addicted to them. I'm going through withdrawals post draft. 

giphy.gif

• Like 1