State of the Steelers

warfelg

20 minutes ago, August4th said:

I don't think we go into the offseason with a guy who lost his job to Rudolph as QB1. We're going to be on the QB market imo

I think we bring in a guy, cut trubisky, and have an open competition with Kenny. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I think we bring in a guy, cut trubisky, and have an open competition with Kenny. 

I think so too. looks like it's one of those drafts where all the QB prospects worth anything going top 5 and we won't have the ammo to move up that far. I wonder what Chicago will do with Fields. if he's on the market, I think we make a call.

1 minute ago, August4th said:

I think so too. looks like it's one of those drafts where all the QB prospects worth anything going top 5 and we won't have the ammo to move up that far. I wonder what Chicago will do with Fields. if he's on the market, I think we make a call.

I wouldn't be opposed. Depending on the price, of course. If we could swing him for a 2nd I'd do it. Especially now that our pick isn't going to be crazy good. 

45 minutes ago, August4th said:

I don't think we go into the offseason with a guy who lost his job to Rudolph as QB1. We're going to be on the QB market imo

I think @JustPlainNasty and I made posts on this (maybe @Dcash4 too) but I think this is the writing on the call.  If Kenny were healthy, had a future, and IMO was Tomlin's guy, you would want start him because you think he gives you that much of a chance to win.  I think this means you are looking to move on if you can.  I'm still on the FIelds boat for 2024 TBH.

38 minutes ago, August4th said:

this is Masons chance. If he does well, they try to keep him. If he does really good, then someone will pay more for him and then we are really down to no QB's once again.  This might be it for a while because mitch shouldn't be in the league and KP has a long ways to go and is fragile anyways.

also, Mason might be much better than you are giving him credit for. Wait and see, but this is about his only 'fair' chance IMO. fichner and the lack of talent before was bad. This is  decent  maybe even good? Not sold on that yet,  but if the run game stays at 5+ ypc and 150 yards a game and Mason is near 70% and not iNT's, I would say thats the best we have had at QB  since pre washed ben whenever that was .  

do they trade KP or is he another  Darryl Sims ;) or another Mark Malone or a tomlin RD1 pick that plays out his contract as a guaranteed starter?

it might be time to make an example of a RD1 pick  that doesn't perform

21 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

Keep Mason, KP is QB2 and if he doesn't like that, trade him or see above. Get real about the QB position, stop wasting prime years of TJ, Minkah etc with RD1 pick that isn't delivering what is expected.  Can't blame canada or sullivan now either, look at whats happening.  

See if Mason keeps winning, because if he does (how many games who knows of course) he will make himself more for his next contract wherever that is.  It should be here, but he might not want to stay here. The more this team wins with Mason, the less promising it will be for KP as QB1 here next year . How could they let a player walk in favour of fragile  KP with his play in the same offence? This is no comparison, everyone sees this.

Just now, warfelg said:

I think @JustPlainNasty and I made posts on this (maybe @Dcash4 too) but I think this is the writing on the call.  If Kenny were healthy, had a future, and IMO was Tomlin's guy, you would want start him because you think he gives you that much of a chance to win.  I think this means you are looking to move on if you can.  I'm still on the FIelds boat for 2024 TBH.

if tomlin is the one to credit  for Mason finally starting, then thats a good move finally. If the writing is on the wall, good, then move  on.  4 year rookie deals are only good if the player is good, if not, move on. A major issue this team has had is keeping players around and starting them until it's too late. 

If Mason does well, keep him if he wants to stay, trade KP, and bring in a vet for QB2 not named mitch. If a nice prospect is there in the draft for QB2/3, then consider.  Right now this offence as a whole is the best it has looked since Haley was here and ben was healthy still.  people aren't blaming canada offence  now for some reason are they? 

I was one of the ones here pulling for KP and had patience.  That has expired after seeing how much better the offence is with Mason.  Mitch was the worst, hands down. Sure, the might be able to do better, but there is risk with that. If Mason is allowing GP to be happy  and getting 150 yards+ a game and everyone else is responding, it just shows how the rest of the team responds to better QB play. Mitch - the team was flat and the worst, KP similar until 4th quarter then the team was alive. Mason, it seems like the team is functional for the entire game, even scoring early for some reason of all things, what a turn of events here just by a change at QB.  Imagine that?

46 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Yep a few weeks Ago I figured it was gonna be Pickett.

Now I’m not sure…I think Fields is a distinct possibility…as is someone like Baker or Cousins.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, August4th said:

While I agree....I wouldn't say he necessarily LOST the job to him.   If Kenny were healthy this entire time, I can almost assure you he would still be starting.   

Kenny is coming off an injury, Mason has the hot hand and there is one game left in the regular season.   I dont think anyone would argue that Kenny is significantly better than Mason, but I think this is more of a matter of Mason playing well and not throwing him into the fire after a somewhat serious injury in the final game of the season.

I still don't believe that Mason can maintain this level of play long term, nor do I believe he would remain starting if this were week 9 or 10 as opposed to week 18.   Im no fan of Kenny and dont believe he is much better than Rudolph....but lets give some context to the situation.

Id have to go with Mason now myself, at the very least to get thru Baltimore. Momentum and routine are big things. Changing things up now with the results they've had would not be ideal. There of course is a price to pay for that, but you have a responsibility to the team first, those guys in this years locker room to give them their best chance of winning today. Never know if this is Cam Heywards last year, things like that. If Mason looks rough and they pull out the Baltimore game that very well could change just like Steelers fans feelings week to week. 

We all have to deal with challenges and have scars and stories to remind us of results good and not so good. This will be another cross for Kenny to carry and overcome. If Mason is brought back its kind of gonna be an open competition would be my thoughts. Ideally Kenny would show desired improvement but a big thing will be what actually will happen with the OC situation. 

I think an interesting thing to this puzzle that most people aren't really acknowledging in the "Mason Rudolph is the guy" formula is that he is an unrestricted free agent come March. He's likely earned a solid backup salary at worst with the two showings and unless he falls apart miserably vs Baltimore that should stay on path. There is no likely guarantee that he will stay here...I sense he has a very jaded underlying feeling about the way he was discarded by the team and most definitely this conveniently forgetful fan base and at the same time being grateful if that makes any sense. Also, what are you paying him ? Are you giving Mason Rudolph a Mitch Trubisky like contract or even better. His agent is gonna make sure Mason is taken care of as he was on the brink of being a poster boy for some real estate firm. 

Edited by JustPlainNasty

4 hours ago, August4th said:

Does this mean they do not have confidence in KP and if so, is QB in play for the draft?

While I agree....I wouldn't say he necessarily LOST the job to him.   If Kenny were healthy this entire time, I can almost assure you he would still be starting.   

Kenny is coming off an injury, Mason has the hot hand and there is one game left in the regular season.   I dont think anyone would argue that Kenny is significantly better than Mason, but I think this is more of a matter of Mason playing well and not throwing him into the fire after a somewhat serious injury in the final game of the season.

I still don't believe that Mason can maintain this level of play long term, nor do I believe he would remain starting if this were week 9 or 10 as opposed to week 18.   Im no fan of Kenny and dont believe he is much better than Rudolph....but lets give some context to the situation.

I disagree in that Tomlin is saying that Rudolph gives them the best chance to win so it is a direct judgement of KP's ability.

Edited by jebrick
  • Like 1

Simms/Hostettler  1990 season    

Wentz/Foles 2017 

it happens, teams make changes at QB that wouldn't be expected. 

I think tomlin is set on Mason as QB1 now, the hot hand. He wants to keep others guessing , especially teams that they are playing.  Thats the hope anyways^_^

5 hours ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wouldn't be opposed. Depending on the price, of course. If we could swing him for a 2nd I'd do it. Especially now that our pick isn't going to be crazy good. 

Fields is not better than what you got.

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

Does this mean they do not have confidence in KP and if so, is QB in play for the draft?

I disagree in that Tomlin is saying that Rudolph gives them the best chance to win so it is a direct judgement of KP's ability.

If they go totally overreaction and go Mason going forward then you'd think trade Pickett for like a 5th, but at that point, he's better insurance. But is he really? 

Mason, Dobbs, draft pick (Jordan Travis)

https://steelersnow.com/kenny-pickett-refused-back-up-role-vs-seahawks/

whats your take on this

At that time, head coach Mike Tomlin and his staff decided, based on the amounts of reps available to all three players throughout the week, that Mason Rudolph would start and Mitch Trubisky would be the backup.

Once that final decision was made, Pickett made it clear to the team that he didn’t want to be dressed on game day, a source confirmed. Mark Madden of 105.9 The X first reported that Pickett did not want to be dressed.

The Steelers did not have a player designated as an emergency quarterback on Sunday. If Rudolph and Trubisky both became injured or otherwise unable to continue, the Steelers would have had to use a player from another position at quarterback.