State of the Steelers

warfelg

5 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

I don't know what the math would be if moving from 20 to 2 or 3, but man it's going to be costly. Just judging by a draft chart and taking a stab at it, 2024 1 + 2, 2025 1 + 2, 2026 1...and likely another pick in there somewhere. 

Pretty darn close.  Don't forget all top 3 teams need QB so you are trying to sell them on all of that along with Nix or Penix is better.  And Giants (6), Falcons (8), Vikings (11), Broncos (12), Raiders (13) all have immediate QB needs, and Russ and Cousins are about it in FA for starters, so that's still at minimum 3/5 teams before you that need QB.  You can also toss in the "don't need it, but eye on the future" teams like Jets (10), Saints (14), Seahawks (16), Rams (19) all in front of us.

So going with the minimum number of teams with picks in front of us that have a better starting point pick, you have 7 teams.  So I might be inclined to say it could take 4 1's, 2 2's, 2 3's to get there.

4 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Don't forget all top 3 teams need QB so you are trying to sell them on all of that along with Nix or Penix is better. 

The only team of the top 3 I could see moving out would be the Patriots. I could see them looking at the roster post Bill and going "boy, we kinda suck...." and making a play to just start collecting more assets to build the team. They have one of, if not the, worst roster in the league. 

5 minutes ago, warfelg said:

Giants (6)

That's the team I keep circling for a trade up if Maye/Daniels somehow falls out of the top 5. My guess is they are a bit pot committed to Daniel Jones this year, but a move back could help them get the capital they need to get "their" guy in 2025 while using additional 2024 assets to build up the team. 

But you are right, it just takes a team like the Falcons or Raiders to make an offer and that team doesn't have to fall outside of the top 10/13 and still collect assets. It would be really hard for us to be the best game in down as a trade partner.  

• Like 1

Just now, Dcash4 said:

The only team of the top 3 I could see moving out would be the Patriots. I could see them looking at the roster post Bill and going "boy, we kinda suck...." and making a play to just start collecting more assets to build the team. They have one of, if not the, worst roster in the league. 

But that is what they did under BB.  Keep trading down for more picks.

17 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

26 minutes ago, warfelg said:

They’re near the top in cap space. Not that it means they’ll get everything but I put them in the class of sign a line, get one of those top WRs, and a defensive player. Then use 3 on Daniels and trade back into the 1st for Brian Thomas or a DB if they fall. 

1 hour ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I don't love our defense right now. I don't feel comfortable with our ILB situation. Holcomb, while nice, is injury prone. Roberts isn't a complete ILB. We need to add here. I also don't think our secondary is great. We need to add talent at S and CB. I don't want Wallace starting.

I hear what you are saying, but when we look back at the start of 2022, we started Bush and Jack, and then Wallace Witherspoon and Sutton.  I think we've improved both those situations, and think we are deeper at both, not to mention, more talented.  But again, I understand your point of view.  I just think it could be a lot worse, and has been, not too long ago...

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Ward4HOF said:

I hear what you are saying, but when we look back at the start of 2022, we started Bush and Jack, and then Wallace Witherspoon and Sutton.  I think we've improved both those situations, and think we are deeper at both, not to mention, more talented.  But again, I understand your point of view.  I just think it could be a lot worse, and has been, not too long ago...

No doubt. I agree with what you're saying. It gives me hope because of how much we've improved from those days. 

8 hours ago, August4th said:

kenny injury came at the worse time, god they should of fired Matt before last yr

black monday 23

fire canada

then later

trade mitch for more than what they got this year 

those 2 really cost the team  the most, others as well no doubt.   Maybe they learned their lesson and they will keep Mason as they know he is a quality QB2 .  

16 hours ago, warfelg said:

I disagree with his reasoning that it’s to remain in win now, mine is there’s limited avenues to talented upside players like Fields. With FA/Draft being bad next year, and impossible to move up this year, I rather take the risk now on something like this now as opposed to wait for the solution like we did with Kenny.

In the end, I don't think trading for Fields would necessarily HURT us (unless we did something really stupid like trade multiple firsts), but I don't think it would really HELP us much, either.   

There is always risk involve in trades for players with uncertainty surrounding them, whether its a rookie or a guy like Fields.    If Fields was a sure thing, he wouldn't be available for trade.   

But in the end, it comes down to the fact that we are trading for a guy who hasn't shown much growth in 3 years in the NFL.      People can talk about his bad situation, but it doesn't dismiss a lot of his shortcomings.    Things many had questions about coming out that turned out to be true, and he hasn't shown any real progression in.     I guess the hope is that our new offensive staff will coach him up, but I am not so sure.     In fact, Id say the chances of his progressing into a capable NFL starter are notably less likely than his chances of becoming what we would like him to be.    At least with a rookie, even with the risk, there is that uncertainty.    I am not saying we should just keep drafting rookie QBs, but Fields doesnt have the type of upside left that many think he does.    Again, I think he can be an excellent highlight reel player who can make our offensive alot more exciting in many games....but I think he will also be an endless source of frustration in some cases, especially vs team who know who to gameplan against him and force him to win with his arm.

Its also troubling that a lot of Steeler fans championing Fields aren't doing so based as much on how good Fields actually is, but rather, 1) what he COULD be if everything goes PERFECTLY and 2) based on how bad Kenny is in comparison.    Almost every post defending Fields has someone trashing Kenny Pickett, and yeah, he sucks, but I absolutely hate the idea of trading a 2nd rd pick and spending a good chunk of cap space on a guy....not primarily based on how good the player we are trading for is (regardless of who it is), but rather because "at least he's not as bad as Kenny Pickett".  

In the end, I have no control of the situation.   None of us do.  I appreciate the open dialogue and I respect that alot of people want us to make a move for someone and Fields could offer some excitement to an offense thats been comatose for at least the last 5 years....but i stand by my assessment that this is more of a desperation move and wont actually move us any closer towards being a championship contender at any point in the foreseeable future.  

Could I be wrong?   I guess, and if we trade for him, I will pray that I am.    

I just don't see it. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, 43M said:

But in the end, it comes down to the fact that we are trading for a guy who hasn't shown much growth in 3 years in the NFL.      People can talk about his bad situation, but it doesn't dismiss a lot of his shortcomings.    Things many had questions about coming out that turned out to be true, and he hasn't shown any real progression in.     I guess the hope is that our new offensive staff will coach him up, but I am not so sure.     In fact, Id say the chances of his progressing into a capable NFL starter are notably less likely than his chances of becoming what we would like him to be.    At least with a rookie, even with the risk, there is that uncertainty.    I am not saying we should just keep drafting rookie QBs, but Fields doesnt have the type of upside left that many think he does.    Again, I think he can be an excellent highlight reel player who can make our offensive alot more exciting in many games....but I think he will also be an endless source of frustration in some cases, especially vs team who know who to gameplan against him and force him to win with his arm.

Replace 3 with 2 and take out the force to use the arm and it’s the exact same thing people are saying on Kenny. 

Fact is Fields upside is higher than Kenny’s if they both do these things. That’s why I take the shot. Same floor, massively different ceilings. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

not primarily based on how good the player we are trading for is (regardless of who it is), but rather because "at least he's not as bad as Kenny Pickett".  

Again. Floor is the same. Different ceilings. And that’s what a bunch of us are saying. 

2 hours ago, 43M said:

but i stand by my assessment that this is more of a desperation move and wont actually move us any closer towards being a championship contender at any point in the foreseeable future.  

That’s the way I feel about options like Mason, Tannehill, Wilson, Cousins. They just lack the upside.