State of the Steelers

warfelg

4 hours ago, 3rivers said:

still hope they get a good WR and then trade jhnson during the season to a contender. If he drops passes there or runs  backwards  or we get a #32 pick, all the better

I can all but guarantee Diontae will be a Steeler the entirety of 2023.

2024....we'll see.

9 hours ago, 43M said:

I can all but guarantee Diontae will be a Steeler the entirety of 2023.

2024....we'll see.

I still have hopes Kham brings in a WR and Austin does well in additon to the revamped OL and improved consistent run game. This will make a mid season trade viable, even a Rd3 pick will be nice.

johnson won't be here next year, NO way. 

My current mock:
Round 1: Kelee Ringo CB Georgia
Round 2a: Kayshon Boutte WR LSU
Round 2b: Darnell Wright OT Tennessee
Round 3: Jack Campbell ILB Iowa
Round 4: Emil Ekiyor Jr. G Alabama
Round 7a: Camerun Peoples RB Appalachian State
Round 7b: Jalen Redmond NT Oklahoma

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jebrick said:

I like Phillips but not before the 2nd round.  5'10 is hard to overcome.  It is a style in the NFL to play big WR in the slot to take advantage of the smaller slot guys.  He woulds fit well with the Steeler scheme as his weakness is playing press.

I would say Phillips is as good as or better than Asante Samuel Jr who is 5'10 and thriving. Phillips burst is one of the best in this draft class. He also has that alpha mentality that I love in my DBs. Depending on how the Steelers handle Sutton (who Coach Tomlin loves) maybe CB could be a double dip in the draft.

On 2/12/2023 at 11:40 AM, armsteeld said:

I would say Phillips is as good as or better than Asante Samuel Jr who is 5'10 and thriving. Phillips burst is one of the best in this draft class. He also has that alpha mentality that I love in my DBs. Depending on how the Steelers handle Sutton (who Coach Tomlin loves) maybe CB could be a double dip in the draft.

this is where value can be had, he falls a bit relative to his actual production and skillset playing football. So we can thank the combine if he is there at 32 or even 49.  Sutton stays, try to keep the ballhawk secondary together. 

For INT's, would you say the best in the draft class are:

1. Forbes

2. Gonzales

3. Phillips

5'10" isn't as much of a problem if the player is position to make the play, only playing in the NFL will determine this. The CB class seems stellar, I really expect and hope we get at least 1 starter quality CB and maybe another that can be about as good.  Get CB's this year,  if the draft is lacking for OT, then UFA for OT and then possibly RD3 OT as well. 

If they keep Sutton (should anyways) then I only expect a CB by pick 49, just not sure when. 

with Mahomes winning SB on supposedly 1 leg vs the Eagles passrush (with his great pass blocking OL) , the Steelers have a fair amount of work to do.  Rookie QB deal window is 3 more years ,  so lets see how this goes.  I don't want to rely on the main opponent QB being injured to advance either .  As it is, I expect KC to continue to be the team to beat as long as #15 is out there, 1 leg or not, no difference it seems.

2 minutes ago, August4th said:

interesting thread on where he thinks the stacked up compared to the current elite. Dude is insightful on the steelers.

the caveat to the future:

Ooau0lt8_normal.jpg

Replying to
And this is the Steelers answer to the new offensive football world. We will be lucky to even have a winning season.

1 minute ago, Chieferific said:

I think we are closer to a SB player-wise than we are X's & O's-wise.  

is it just canada for X's and O's thats holding the team back the most? 

can anyone here see a team with canada as the OC defeating  KC with Mahomes at QB?  I doubt there is anyone on this entire forum outside the Steelers forum that would think so.  As it is, canada is holding the team back the most .

KC would have to have major injury issues for the steelers to have a chance.   Thats the team to beat, lets see what the Steelers do about it.   I wouldn't have any faith in the colbert regime for this task (KC with Mahomes) but lets see what Khan and Weidl have in mind. 

It could be a a 3peat in the making with KC.  Then with that we will be getting the goat talks and all that .  KC missing a few years might have made them better for the long haul as well.  

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

I think we are closer to a SB player-wise than we are X's & O's-wise.  

Lets be honest....Mahomes is that team.   Without him, they are essentially us in terms of overall quality.  

However, Jalen Hurts isnt close to Mahomes as a complete QB, but has a much more talented team around him.  He is a dynamic playmaker with his legs and can make some nice throws, but I could see him taking a step back as more teams learn how to play him.    I think Hurts will be good going forward, but I think he overachieved this year, a bit...but I digress.

Anyway, my point is....our success going forward largely depends on Kenny.   He will never be on Mahomes level, but I do think he can get to a level of a QB you can win with, especially if we can build a well rounded team like Philly.

These are major "if's" though, and likely wont happen.   Wont be shocked if the 2020's are like the 80's for us.  :/