Game #6 - vs. Buffalo Bills

onejayhawk

7 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Rushing Offense stunk. Passing Offense kinda stunk too. The Oline struggled the whole game in everything IMO

Passing O was fine. Last INT was bad, but it was what drove us down the field all day.

Big lessons from this, to me, are we need to help Wylie against Von Miller, and we still need to find a way to get pressure without blitzing. So many people wondering why our rookies were one on one, but it's because we can't pressure otherwise. Pass rush on both sides was really the difference.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Jakuvious said:

Pass rush on both sides was really the difference.

This.   OL wasn’t great,  but I expected it to be a rough game for them..  that is talented and deep DL. 

I want to make a comment on Karlaftis,  but it has never been about me not liking the player.   We miss an elite guy at Edge.  

38 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Too many miscues today, two interceptions and a missed Field Goal were the difference.  We get that cleaned up and we win this game.

That and we gotta keep in mind we have some serious youth on defense. Williams got beat but got beat by a top 2QB and a couple of WRs who destroy a lot of CBs. Not to mention he got left on an island on both long tds. Unless they start taking it to heart it'll only help em get better imo. 

Fingers crossed for McDuffie to be what we hope him to be.

Edited by Chiefs_5627
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, Chiefs_5627 said:

That and we gotta keep in mind we have some serious youth on defense. Williams got beat but got beat by a top 2QB and a couple of WRs who destroy a lot of CBs. Not to mention he got left on an island on both long tds. Unless they start taking it to heart it'll only help em get better imo. 

Fingers crossed for McDuffie to be what we hope him to be.

Anytime Allen recognized man coverage one on one he always threw it at Williams. I actually felt bad for him, wasn’t his fault Spagz repeatedly called Cover Zero and had him on an island out there. 

I get the no pass rush with 4 aspect, but we couldn’t get pressure with Cover Zero either by the end of the game. Seemed really silly to call it so much, they got two TDs out of it

51 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Anytime Allen recognized man coverage one on one he always threw it at Williams. I actually felt bad for him, wasn’t his fault Spagz repeatedly called Cover Zero and had him on an island out there. 

I get the no pass rush with 4 aspect, but we couldn’t get pressure with Cover Zero either by the end of the game. Seemed really silly to call it so much, they got two TDs out of it

We also got several stops out of it. The blitzes worked really well, sometimes. And that's generally how blitzes work.

31 minutes ago, Jakuvious said:

We also got several stops out of it. The blitzes worked really well, sometimes. And that's generally how blitzes work.

Once they adjusted to it in the second half the pressures and forced throws dropped off. Even Romo commented that Spagz needed to stop blitzing so much because the Bills OC was figuring it out. 

I honestly see it as disrespectful to run Cover zero on an elite QBwith that frequency, Burrow burned it on the Chiefs repeatedly last year too

2 hours ago, Chiefer said:

Once they adjusted to it in the second half the pressures and forced throws dropped off. Even Romo commented that Spagz needed to stop blitzing so much because the Bills OC was figuring it out. 

I honestly see it as disrespectful to run Cover zero on an elite QBwith that frequency, Burrow burned it on the Chiefs repeatedly last year too

It's not disrespectful, it's necessary. You must pressure an elite QB. If you know you will not do that successfully with 4, you have to blitz and fake blitz with enough consistency to pose some form of threat. The Bills also had a failed 4th down and 3rd down in the 4th quarter where Williams was in man coverage on Diggs and either the blitz got there or he made the play. You can't analyze a strategy based on only the times it failed. Sometimes it failed, sometimes it succeeded. But not pressuring Allen is not a route to success.

It also wasn't typically zero. Both of the TDs on Williams were cover 1, the S just has no chance to help a go/fade route on the sideline in cover 1. Honestly, even if it had been cover 2 with a S on his side, it probably wouldn't have helped against the fade to Diggs. That one was very quick and very outside. But again, it isn't like Spags was just blindly sending the house. I get the desire to blame a singular and familiar thing, but the gameplan was fine. We held them a TD below their season average. We allowed some TDs because we blitzed, we got some stops because we blitzed. Both of those can be true. All game long.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, onejayhawk said:

We held them to 24 points. Stop complaining about the defense.

Agreed. Only thing I wasn't about is the cover 0 at the end of the 1st half. Play prevent defense, let them score a FG and we enter the 2nd half at 10-6.

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Jakuvious said:

Passing O was fine. Last INT was bad, but it was what drove us down the field all day.

Our rushing Oline was supposed to be "vaunted". Maybe it isn't so much?

The passing O wasn't good either really. Mahomes got beat up alot. I think nearly all of us believe Wylie can't handle elite defensing. He's just not up to it. And now the whole NFL knows after seeing our game. Expect continued pressure throughout the season on our right side, until we find a solution.

5 minutes ago, mayanfootball said:

Our rushing Oline was supposed to be "vaunted". Maybe it isn't so much?

The passing O wasn't good either really. Mahomes got beat up alot. I think nearly all of us believe Wylie can't handle elite defensing. He's just not up to it. And now the whole NFL knows after seeing our game. Expect continued pressure throughout the season on our right side, until we find a solution.

There aren't many teams that can throw that amount of talented bodies at the OL.    Tackle play was below par,  but I would say that is expected against that DL.     Mahomes, at times,  does put himself into those hits.   I think we all agree that OT play isn't elite by any stretch of the imaginatino,  but I think they battled against a tough DL.  

I do agree with Jak,     our lack of ability to pressure with just a 4 man rush is what cost us the game.     People want to complain about the blitzing,   but that is the only way we would pressure Allen////   and to a larger point keep him in the pocket.