Week 6, Patriots at Browns

Bucketheadsdad

It's week 6, and many of us are feeling lousy about where our team is at the moment  

15 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Browns
    • Patriots
    • Hornby and Kiwi
    • We find a way for the game to end in a tie
  2. 2. How many yards rushing do the Browns give up?

• 50 or less
    • 51-100
    • 100-150
    • Good lord, we got gashed again

16 hours ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

I see no reason to not believe this game will go any different than every other game. We will be winning until about 3 minutes left in the 4th. Defense will blow it. York will miss a kick at some point that would have been the difference. Brissett will look like a stud for 3 and a half quarters and either take a stupid sack that takes us out of FG position or throws a game losing INT. Or both. Woods will go into prevent defense pretty much all game. Myles will have 1 sack and 1 tackle. Chubb will run for like 160 yards but not be on the field for the final drive. Stefanski will at some point call like 3 straight non play action pass plays at the goal line.

Don't forget the part about Stefanski going for it on 4th instead of taking the points, us not converting it, then losing by less than a FG. Play the greatest hits, team!!

Edited by dawgdish

9 minutes ago, dawgdish said:

Don't forget the part about Stefanski going for it on 4th instead of taking the points, us not converting it, then losing by less than a FG. Play the greatest hits, team!!

I feel like this is going to be a criticism regardless tbh.

If he goes for it and makes it, people love his aggressiveness.  If he takes the points and we lose because we kicked FGs instead of scored TDS, he gets roasted.

People only don’t complain when the decision looks correct in hindsight because everything else in the game went our way.

Punting is dumb a lot of the time tbh.  Every time you punt, you give the ball to the other team.  Every time you go for it and get it, you keep the ball.  Therefore every time you go for it and make it, it’s essentially like getting a turnover.  It’s an extra possession you wouldn’t have otherwise had.  The only thing that changes with a punt is field position, and in many cases just a handful of yards.

As far as kicking FGs instead of going for it, tell me with a straight face you think FGs are an automatic 3 points right now.

• Like 3

11 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I feel like this is going to be a criticism regardless tbh.

If he goes for it and makes it, people love his aggressiveness.  If he takes the points and we lose because we kicked FGs instead of scored TDS, he gets roasted.

People only don’t complain when the decision looks correct in hindsight because everything else in the game went our way.

Punting is dumb a lot of the time tbh.  Every time you punt, you give the ball to the other team.  Every time you go for it and get it, you keep the ball.  Therefore every time you go for it and make it, it’s essentially like getting a turnover.  It’s an extra possession you wouldn’t have otherwise had.  The only thing that changes with a punt is field position, and in many cases just a handful of yards.

As far as kicking FGs instead of going for it, tell me with a straight face you think FGs are an automatic 3 points right now.

I find it the most telling that not a soul has questioned him going for it on 4th and under 2 from our own side of the field, which flies in the face of traditional wisdom. Last week we got stopped (I hated the playcall but loved the decision) and it cost us 3 points, but who blamed him with our defense? That wasn't even mentioned as a reason we lost, nor should it have been.

You have to take the good with the bad, and analytically, that's who we hired for better or worse, and frankly, sign me up for 4th Down TD opportunities even if we don't score. It makes sense to flip the field which leads to statistically higher probability of a TD on the 2nd drive, meaning if you're 50%, you score 7 points 50% of the time as opposed to 6 points 100% of the time.

I believe in the law of averages, especially in the first 3 quarters. By the 4th, you do possession math as opposed to points scored math.

JMHO

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MWil23 said:

I find it the most telling that not a soul has questioned him going for it on 4th and under 2 from our own side of the field, which flies in the face of traditional wisdom. Last week we got stopped (I hated the playcall but loved the decision) and it cost us 3 points, but who blamed him with our defense? That wasn't even mentioned as a reason we lost, nor should it have been.

You have to take the good with the bad, and analytically, that's who we hired for better or worse, and frankly, sign me up for 4th Down TD opportunities even if we don't score. It makes sense to flip the field which leads to statistically higher probability of a TD on the 2nd drive, meaning if you're 50%, you score 7 points 50% of the time as opposed to 6 points 100% of the time.

I believe in the law of averages, especially in the first 3 quarters. By the 4th, you do possession math as opposed to points scored math.

JMHO

And to be clear I’m not saying to not punt or take the 3, but a reasonable person isn’t gonna complain only when it doesn’t work out.

Going for it on the first drive in ATL made sense to me.  We were cruising offensively having just ran it down their throats the whole way down the field.  It didn’t work out.  Ok.  

Against the chargers I didn’t care at all, didnt like the play call but that’s another conversation, because I didn’t trust the defense at all.  If we had a good defense then maybe I try to pin the opposing team deep or whatever, but right now we don’t.

• Like 1

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

And to be clear I’m not saying to not punt or take the 3, but a reasonable person isn’t gonna complain only when it doesn’t work out.

Going for it on the first drive in ATL made sense to me.  We were cruising offensively having just ran it down their throats the whole way down the field.  It didn’t work out.  Ok.  

The decision isn't the wrong one, but IMO Stefanski got scared at the result after the first failed conversion and I could absolutely track him.

1st Down: Chubb run, stuffed, Chubb stripped of the ball but thankfully blown down

2nd Down: Stefanski now sort of scared, same formation, same backfield action, playaction pass (good call tbh on an early down). HOLDING PENALTY KILLS THE DRIVE

...I mean, if you know that there's going to be a holding penalty, you absolutely just give it to Chubb or sneak it 4 times, but you're also playing not just for points there, but for tone and tendency the rest of the game and season. Nobody cared when we hit hunt on a PA pass for a TD week 1 from the 1 yard line and said "HE SHOULD HAVE RUN THE BALL!". IMO that's revisionist hindsight history.

Just now, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Against the chargers I didn’t care at all, didnt like the play call but that’s another conversation, because I didn’t trust the defense at all.  If we had a good defense then maybe I try to pin the opposing team deep or whatever, but right now we don’t.

100% the right decision. I think you even make the right call with Hunt in the backfield to prevent an outside crash/blitz because there's always the CHANCE of an outside flare pass or PA pass option.

After Weeks 1 and 2 alone, not to mention the ATL debacle, who really trusts this defense in any capacity to get stops/not allow points?

Just do what6 the Patriots did to the Bills last year. See if they can stop you.

Total Plays 49  
Total Yards 241  
Total Drives 10  
Yards per Play 4.9  
Passing 19  
Comp-Att 2-3  
Yards per pass 6.3  
Interceptions thrown 0  
Sacks-Yards Lost 0-0  
Rushing 222  
Rushing Attempts 46  
Yards per rush 4.8  
Red Zone (Made-Att) 0-1

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Thomas5737 said:

Just do what6 the Patriots did to the Bills last year. See if they can stop you.

Total Plays 49  
Total Yards 241  
Total Drives 10  
Yards per Play 4.9  
Passing 19  
Comp-Att 2-3  
Yards per pass 6.3  
Interceptions thrown 0  
Sacks-Yards Lost 0-0  
Rushing 222  
Rushing Attempts 46  
Yards per rush 4.8