The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

It was a good first half for Sam. He plays better when Brian Robinson, Jr. is in the game.  Then the second half he unraveled. It's inexcusable for Jahan Dotson to have 0 yards once again. He locks onto one receiver and then bails/scrambles. He's not good in the pocket  Should be interesting to see if he plays again next week. I always said let Sam play the entire year for the right to earn the job. Right now, he's 4-12, 7 losses in a row with a sub 80 QB rating. He hasn't earned it.  

13 minutes ago, taylor made said:

It was a good first half for Sam. He plays better when Brian Robinson, Jr. is in the game.  Then the second half he unraveled. It's inexcusable for Jahan Dotson to have 0 yards once again. He locks onto one receiver and then bails/scrambles. He's not good in the pocket  Should be interesting to see if he plays again next week. I always said let Sam play the entire year for the right to earn the job. Right now, he's 4-12, 7 losses in a row with a sub 80 QB rating. He hasn't earned it.  

It is what it is. Worst case we got a good backup with a 5th round pick and have him for cheap for two more years. But if we end up at 2 we’re absolutely taking a QB and I have no problem with it. 

• Like 5

21 hours ago, lavar703 said:

It is what it is. Worst case we got a good backup with a 5th round pick and have him for cheap for two more years. But if we end up at 2 we’re absolutely taking a QB and I have no problem with it. 

This is where I'm at as well. He had a pretty good first half. The second half? Eeesh

• Like 1

Since we are most likely getting Caleb or Maye, I think you have to trade Sam Howell for a couple reasons. The team totally quit on Sam the second half of he season. He offers nothing as a backup IMO. He could potentially cause a QB controversy or a distraction. And his perceived value will never be higher coming off a starting season. Give me a 4th rounder and resign Jacoby or Drew Lock and start them until our rookie is ready. 

39 minutes ago, taylor made said:

Since we are most likely getting Caleb or Maye, I think you have to trade Sam Howell for a couple reasons. The team totally quit on Sam the second half of he season. He offers nothing as a backup IMO. He could potentially cause a QB controversy or a distraction. And his perceived value will never be higher coming off a starting season. Give me a 4th rounder and resign Jacoby or Drew Lock and start them until our rookie is ready. 

Did the team quit on Howell, or did the team quit on the coaches?  

Either way………there isn’t a lot of talent on this roster.  It’s in worse shape than when Rivera got here.  There are not many players who will be a part of the next core.  

• Like 3

2 hours ago, taylor made said:

You gotta let your hate for Sam go dude. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MikeT14 said:

I think @taylor made is right. If anyone is going to give you anything for Sam, it's best for a fresh start for both. You're getting your QBotF, and you want a veteran to mentor him anyway. 

I'm actually on the other side of the fence. Sam Howell is still on his rookie contract (a 5th round rookie contract at that) and has shown no signs of being a locker room cancer. If someone comes calling, you answer the phone, but you don't take pennies to just be rid of him. 

The stance of trying to move on from him at any cost is petty. If we recoup a 4th or 5th for him, I wouldn't be upset for sure, however. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

I'm actually on the other side of the fence. Sam Howell is still on his rookie contract (a 5th round rookie contract at that) and has shown no signs of being a locker room cancer. If someone comes calling, you answer the phone, but you don't take pennies to just be rid of him. 

Yes, I was not crystal clear. If anyone is going to give you anything of considerable value, you take it. I'm not losing Sam for pennies, correct. 

11 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

The stance of trying to move on from him at any cost is petty. If we recoup a 4th or 5th for him, I wouldn't be upset for sure, however. 

I was thinking a 4th. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Yes, I was not crystal clear. If anyone is going to give you anything of considerable value, you take it. I'm not losing Sam for pennies, correct. 

I was thinking a 4th. 

We are on the same page. I wasn't sure if your stance had changed over the past 6 weeks and wouldn't blame anyone for the change as Sam clearly regressed as the season progressed. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Slappy Mc said:

We are on the same page. I wasn't sure if your stance had changed over the past 6 weeks and wouldn't blame anyone for the change as Sam clearly regressed as the season progressed. 

The only thing that really changed on my stance with Howell was that he went from "I'd still like to see what he has" to "he isn't going to be the guy". He's still talented and has a future in this league, I just no longer think it'll be as the starter of this franchise

• Like 2