The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

On 1/8/2024 at 9:53 AM, Slappy Mc said:

I'm actually on the other side of the fence. Sam Howell is still on his rookie contract (a 5th round rookie contract at that) and has shown no signs of being a locker room cancer. If someone comes calling, you answer the phone, but you don't take pennies to just be rid of him. 

The stance of trying to move on from him at any cost is petty. If we recoup a 4th or 5th for him, I wouldn't be upset for sure, however. 

I wouldn’t trade Sam for a 4th, a great back up is hard to find, especially when they’re on a 5th round rookie contract. That’s extremely valuable for the team if he has to play bc he will improve & could win us games as a back up if he has to play as long as our D doesn’t give up 30 pts a game the next two years like this year & obviously he’s about as cheap as you get for a back up.

Edited by turtle28

On 1/17/2024 at 9:18 PM, turtle28 said:

Sam Howell with the 7th & 9th most passing yards in a game this year.

Imagine what he could've done behind a halfway decent OL and an OC that had committed to run the ball to take pressure off him. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Imagine what he could've done behind a halfway decent OL and an OC that had committed to run the ball to take pressure off him. 

Maybe he could have been as good as Nick Mullens who finished 4th and 8th on that list. 😉

• Like 1

Guess we have no "consensus" on Howell. Showed promise the first half then kinda tanked. Poor T E s , average wideouts, terrible just terrible O L and the O C did him no favors not running the ball when we did have 3 pretty good backs.  

Baker Mayfield was #1 overall and he's struggled -but our 5th round guy is just trash? He is a tough guy physically- hope he's as tough mentally .

I think if he was on S F with Kyle- He'd be as good as Purdy. 

On all hi interceptions - Lot of tipped balls and his arm was hit or he was hit in his motion. Not trying to make excuses just what I seemed to remember. I'm not sold on him but still curious to see what he can be with a competent O C and better players around him . 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

Guess we have no "consensus" on Howell. Showed promise the first half then kinda tanked. Poor T E s , average wideouts, terrible just terrible O L and the O C did him no favors not running the ball when we did have 3 pretty good backs.  

Baker Mayfield was #1 overall and he's struggled -but our 5th round guy is just trash? He is a tough guy physically- hope he's as tough mentally .

I think if he was on S F with Kyle- He'd be as good as Purdy. 

On all hi interceptions - Lot of tipped balls and his arm was hit or he was hit in his motion. Not trying to make excuses just what I seemed to remember. I'm not sold on him but still curious to see what he can be with a competent O C and better players around him . 

Broncos, Steelers, Patriots (if they don't take one at 1.03), Vikings (if Kirk isn't back) and Raiders all make sense to me as teams that could start Sam next year.

Rams, Vikings (if Kirk is back), Saints, Giants, Seahawks all make sense as places he could go and sit for another year to learn and be a backup.

6 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

Broncos, Steelers, Patriots (if they don't take one at 1.03), Vikings (if Kirk isn't back) and Raiders all make sense to me as teams that could start Sam next year.

Rams, Vikings (if Kirk is back), Saints, Giants, Seahawks all make sense as places he could go and sit for another year to learn and be a backup.

O K, so you've written him off as our 2024 Starter. I get it .

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, RSkinGM said:

O K, so you've written him off as our 2024 Starter. I get it .

Eh, that's a different conversation. I was just piggybacking off your comments on where else he could play. I do no longer think he is our QBotF though, and I would expect whatever QB we take a 1.02 to start, yes. But I have not written him off as a starter in the NFL.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RSkinGM said:

I'm not sold on him but still curious to see what he can be with a competent O C and better players around him . 

This is where I ended up at seasons end. Too many negative plays, but I saw enough early to know that the kid can play at a pretty high level in the NFL. 

I still think the guy got a really ****ty deal at his "shot" at being an NFL starting QB. He was anointed by a coach trying to save his job, who put way too much pressure on the "young QB." On top of that, they brought in an OC who refused to use him in a controlled game management type scenario, instead forcing him to throw 35+ times a game behind the leagues worst offensive line, and never giving him a run game to set anything up. 

I'm not going to take away his portion of responsibility, but I don't think any QB is going to "thrive" in this scenario. I expect Howell to be on the roster next year. If I had my dream scenario, we would have traded out of #2, landed a haul of future picks, drafted a book end OT and other supporting players to make everyone's life easier, and end up starting Sam Howell again under a competent HC and OC. 

I don't mind if the new staff wants to draft "their guy" at QB, but we still gotta build the team up around whoever plays QB. 

• Like 3