The 2023-2024 Sam Howell thread

aceinthehouse

It's becoming clear to me that Sam is burnt out. It's been a very long season for the team & a lot has been asked of him. Leading the league in pass attempts as 23-year-old 1st year starter was a bad plan from the coaching staff. The guy needs a break.

I have no idea what will happen in the further with Howell but he will be in the mix and will work his butt off to improve.

I hope they start Howell this week.  Sitting will not gain him his confidence back.  If he does sit, there is certainly no chance he will be even considered as a real competitor for the starting qb job.  His only chance to play will be some meaningless preseason reps next year. 

Let him play.  If he can't get his head back in the game, he isn't starting caliber anyways.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If for some reason the new regime gives up on Sam, he will definitely get picked up and given a chance to make another team. If TH can play in this league SH surely can. 

If Atlanta doesn't get their guy, he could be an interesting option there. If NE misses out, he could be a bridge option. Is Kirk gone in Minnesota? I assume Baker is back in TB, but if not, they could get a younger complimentary player. Pittsburgh is probably looking for a reset, or at least competition. I am guessing the Raiders roll with AOC, but you never know. There would be options if we move on.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

If for some reason the new regime gives up on Sam, he will definitely get picked up and given a chance to make another team. If TH can play in this league SH surely can. 

Sam will just be the next QBs backup. I imagine Sam & whichever QB we draft battling it out for the starting QB job next year. 

Some people on Twitter have said we should re-sign Brissett to be our veteran back up but I'm not sure he re-signs here knowing that we’ll probably draft a QB with our top 5 pick.

If I’m Brissett I try to sign with a playoff team so I can try to win a Super Bowl at his age. 

This should be Sam Howell’s mantra this offseason. Last offseason the starting job was kinda given to him, which was odd considering Rivera was trying to make the playoffs to impress the new owner but hey, what happened happened.

This offseason if Howell wants to be the starting QB next year he has to “Outwork everyone in front of nobody.”

33 minutes ago, taylor made said:

If we draft a QB in the first round, I think you have to trade Sam Howell while he has some sort of trade value. That's what Jacksonville Jaguars did when they traded Gardner Minshew and drafted Trevor Lawrence. Maybe we'll be able to get a fifth rounder, ha ha. 

A good backup on a rookie deal is valuable bc you then have extra cap space to build up your roster.

Also, the Jags didn't trade Minshew right away. The Eagles traded for him bc they needed a backup QB & they traded for him on August 28th of that year. 

Also, consider who made the decision to trade Minshew… Urban Meyer…

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/32101529/sources-jacksonville-jaguars-trading-qb-gardner-minshew-philadelphia-eagles-conditional-2022-sixth-round-pick#

“The Jacksonville Jaguars have traded quarterback Gardner Minshew II to the Philadelphia Eagles for a conditional 2022 sixth-round pick, it was announced Saturday.

The sixth-round pick could rise to a fifth-rounder if Minshew is involved in 50% of the plays in three games this season, sources told ESPN's Adam Schefter.

The move comes after Jaguars coach Urban Meyer announced Wednesday that top overall pick Trevor Lawrence had won the starting joband will be under center for the Sept. 12 season opener in Houston against the Texans.”

46 minutes ago, taylor made said:

If we draft a QB in the first round, I think you have to trade Sam Howell while he has some sort of trade value. That's what Jacksonville Jaguars did when they traded Gardner Minshew and drafted Trevor Lawrence. Maybe we'll be able to get a fifth rounder, ha ha. 

Honestly, a 5th rounder for him at this point wouldn't bad. He was a 5th round pick a couple years ago and we got almost a years worth of play out of him and getting a 5th back while pursuing our QBotF, I'd consider it a win.

On the flip side, he was in year two of his rookie contract and even with a rookie QB potentially coming in (even an early round one), there is the possibility that we would want/need a veteran to start at least a few games while the rookie acclimated. I probably wouldn't trade Howell for anything less than a third round pick right now. If you want him, come pay the asking price.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

JP Finlay 

Eric Bieniemy on Sam Howell's last month: "He just didn’t play well, and unfortunately that happens. It's not like anything you can put your finger on."

And people wonder why this guy is not a HC

I'll put my finger on something, his OC is a moron. 

• Like 4

42 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:
2 hours ago, ARTMONK HOF said:

JP Finlay 

Eric Bieniemy on Sam Howell's last month: "He just didn’t play well, and unfortunately that happens. It's not like anything you can put your finger on."

And people wonder why this guy is not a HC

I'll put my finger on something, his OC is a moron. 

He is a moron, but he is also right. Howell wasn't playing well. And whether we like it or not, Brissett came in each time and immediately played better. 

It's hilarious though, that in a lost season where everything is going poorly, that they decided two games before the end to try to make a change to "fix" stuff. Just let the young guy finish the season and go out guns blazing. 

If we win either of these last two games, I really REALLY doubt we can, then I wish 100 year plague on the staff and their families. Lol.

• Like 2

Sam Howell will be Kirk Cousins one day on a different team. Book it. 

I put about 10% of his results on him. I'm not from NC. I hate the Tar Heels. This team, Ron and EB especially, ruined him. At this point, he doesn't want to in there, probably not on this team under these coaches. His facial expression says it all. Again, I don't blame him.