Let's talk Bailey Zappe

biggie.

31 minutes ago, Hunter2_1 said:

Time to throw, so far this season

Zappe - 9th most in NFL

Jones - 23rd most

Look how open and the pocket

Go to 13 seconds on this; (Zappe to Meyers). There is no Brown within 8 yards of him. Perfect pocket

Intended average air yards thrown;

Zappe - 4th lowest in NFL (6.4)

Jones 2nd most! (10)

So Mac had less time to make throws, but his average air yards is way higher. We have dialled it back, AND played terrible defenses in Mac's absense.

Go back and watch the Miami game where there was absolutely no separation, barely any time to throw. 

The OL has really really got their ish together. Same thing happened last year with a rough start and a quick improvement into a top 10 OL again. 

I'm not saying I am not happy with Zappe (weyy), I am saying it's smooth-brained to compare the two based on totally different situations 

All this is true and great stats . However, the Patriots have looked better immediately when Zappe took over for Hoyer vs Packers. It’s unfortunate for a player to lose his job to injury but the team is responding to Zappe more.

The same could of been said when Brady took over for Bledsoe. The team just played better when him there and has momentum

11 minutes ago, bucksavage1 said:

All this is true and great stats . However, the Patriots have looked better immediately when Zappe took over for Hoyer vs Packers. It’s unfortunate for a player to lose his job to injury but the team is responding to Zappe more.

The same could of been said when Brady took over for Bledsoe. The team just played better when him there and has momentum

We played the Lions and Browns. One team didn't even touch Zappe, and the other is talent but coached horrendously on defense. It was a far more simple assignment these past two weeks. Also, our defense has generated a lot more turnovers which helps.

You cannot compare the situations yet. Bears next too....

edit: Mac will probably start against Chicago actually, so if he has as much time to throw as Zappe has and the receivers keep their form up, and Mac doesn't look good. I'll be the first to concede.

Edited by Hunter2_1

1 hour ago, Danger said:

Collegiate statistical records don't mean a whole lot. Especially when they're not in a power 5 conference.

That said... I don't like Mac Jones and hope Zappe overtakes him.

It’s not the entire story but WKU played a handful of power 5 teams and was still D1 FBS. Breaking those records should have garnered more attention for evaluation . In a weak QB classes draft wise, Zappe should of went higher

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NudeTayne said:

Yeah he looked awesome in college. It was weird how little attention he got.

He got plenty of attention and had a lot of fans, but the consensus was that he had too weak an arm IIRC.  I remember thinking that he had too weak an arm to be an NFL QB, at least.

If Zappe continues to work out, I'm definitely moving Grayson McCall up in my 2023 QB rankings.

Thought he looked pretty similar to Pickett, but with an even weaker arm than Pickett coming out. The Pats short/quick passing game is perfect for him. I actually liked him a lot, but that arm strength was a real negative. He can read the full field and go through his progressions as quickly as anyone in his draft class. I assumed you would basically have to forfeit a vertical attack with him, but he's made some downfield throws.

Edited by Jeezla

I mean this as no disrespect to Zappe, because he could ultimately be very, very good. I don't know. But this has a "The 49ers should trade Jimmy G because Nick Mullens is better" vibe to it (yes, that was a real thing). 

Its certainly possible that Zappe is just the real deal or at least better than Mac...I just don't think I'm ready to commit to that as of right now. 

I am in no way saying that Zappe should replace Jones, but you keep hearing about how bad the defenses Zappe has played against compared to the ones Jones played against this year and that is not entirely true. Detroit is awful and giving up the most yards per game, Pittsburgh gives up 30 yards less per game and the 4th most in the NFL, Baltimore is 8th, Miami 11th and Cleveland 10th after 6 weeks. The Packers are actually 5th best in terms of yards per game. I don't think there is enough sample size to make an accurate judgement on Zappe at this point but not turning the ball over is certainly a big key for success. 

9 hours ago, Jetzger said:

I hate that his last name is pronounced “Zappy” instead of “Zap”.  I just can’t take him seriously because of that. 

You could always use the correct Italian pronounciation…hold on the the Ps a little longer with a short “eh” at the end. 

On 10/17/2022 at 8:14 AM, Hunter2_1 said:

We played the Lions and Browns. One team didn't even touch Zappe, and the other is talent but coached horrendously on defense. It was a far more simple assignment these past two weeks. Also, our defense has generated a lot more turnovers which helps.

You cannot compare the situations yet. Bears next too....

edit: Mac will probably start against Chicago actually, so if he has as much time to throw as Zappe has and the receivers keep their form up, and Mac doesn't look good. I'll be the first to concede.

Tbf, Zappe either way has shown far greater confidence and pocket presence than Mac. Even accounting for opponent quality, there were civil dicey situations that Zappe anticipated and handled well when it came to pressure that I don’t really have full belief Mac would handle as well. Mac might be better at every other aspect at being a QB if we drill into it, but that’s still an obvious distinction to me right now. 

Honestly I don’t really care when Zappe was drafted vs Mac. If it was me, I let Zappe start against Chicago and see how he does. Give Mac more time to heal and hopefully light a fire under his ***. Chicago ain’t anything special so if Zappe falters go back to Mac. If he does well just go with Zappe until he has an abysmal game and you can put Mac in and hope that made him more aggressive in wanting to keep his job. 

I just don’t see a huge upgrade in Mac right now to justify taking the spot from someone who is playing well and the team is gelling with.