EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

3 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

What on earth is Nick Herbig

I could see him being a 3/4 OLB who can bend and use quickness to get after the QB.  He has been wildly productive the past two years and in the right 3/4 system that requires a little more movement and coverage out of their edge guys, he could do just fine.  Should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

If people do not have an issue with Will McDonald IV and his size why with Herbig?  

Haason Reddick is 240 and 2nd in the league in sacks.

Alex Highsmith is 242 and 6th in the league in sacks

Josh Uche 245 and is 12th

Leonard Floyd is 240, James Houston 241, Kaden Ellis 238 etc.

Edited by Ozzy

10 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I could see him being a 3/4 OLB who can bend and use quickness to get after the QB.  He has been wildly productive the past two years and in the right 3/4 system that requires a little more movement and coverage out of their edge guys, he could do just fine.  Should be a 2nd or 3rd round pick. 

If people do not have an issue with Will McDonald IV and his size why with Herbig?  

Well, McDonald is a lot longer for a start and probably has 15 pounds on Herbig. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Haason Reddick is 240 and 2nd in the league in sacks.

Alex Highsmith is 242 and 6th in the league in sacks

Josh Uche 245 and is 12th

Leonard Floyd is 240, James Houston 241, Kaden Ellis 238 etc.

Micah Parsons is in the 240’s as well

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

I do have a big problem with McDonald's size.

I think Herbig can actually play all over a defense. He can be a nickel/dime pass rusher, but could also thrive playing literally any LB spot in a 3-4 or 4-3.

I don't believe he'll be a pro bowl player, but he's got good enough chops in all areas of the game that he will stick with a team and be a nice piece. McDonald is a pure DPR. He can't play linebacker in any scheme aside from 3-4 OLB. And he's probably not a 4-3 RDE even. Way too light in the pants.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Well, McDonald is a lot longer for a start and probably has 15 pounds on Herbig. 

He is much longer, but idk about heavier. Herbig looks much thicker. I know he's shorter, but Herbig has way more muscle mass throughout his body. I think it will be close.

In any case, Herbig has pop in his pads whereas McDonald plays to his size. I think I might take McDonald over Herbig just for the potential, but Herbig has a better chance of sticking in the NFL due to his pure LB traits. At the very least, I think Herbig could be a versatile blitzing ILB in a 3-4 in addition to playing EDGE in obvious passing downs. McDonald is extremely limited, even though he did play some "interior" in college. He will get destroyed in anything other than a wide 9, IMO.

43 minutes ago, BetterCallSaul said:

He is much longer, but idk about heavier. Herbig looks much thicker. I know he's shorter, but Herbig has way more muscle mass throughout his body. I think it will be close.

In any case, Herbig has pop in his pads whereas McDonald plays to his size. I think I might take McDonald over Herbig just for the potential, but Herbig has a better chance of sticking in the NFL due to his pure LB traits. At the very least, I think Herbig could be a versatile blitzing ILB in a 3-4 in addition to playing EDGE in obvious passing downs. McDonald is extremely limited, even though he did play some "interior" in college. He will get destroyed in anything other than a wide 9, IMO.

The last listed weight for Herbig is 228, but we'll see what happens at the combine. Wisconsin throws out a bunch of these guys and they nearly always convert to off-ball linebacker. 

2 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

Man, this edge class is such a flop. Really struggling to find guys I like. 

Honestly, I'd prefer the Cardinals to pass on edge rusher the first 4 rounds. We drafted two guys last year who both looked like future starters, playing way more effectively than the bums ahead of them. If we waste a high pick on a 7-sack edge when we already potentially have better, meanwhile we have 9 FA OL and no NFL Starters at CB...

5 minutes ago, goldfishwars said:

Yeah, there's stuff to like - just not a well-rounded enough prospect where I would want to spend a high pick and expect a return on that investment. 

I get it.  After Anderson and Tyree, the dropoff is pretty significant.  Even Myles Murphy is more traits than ready results, and he's who I have next.  Dylan Horton, Felix Anudike-Uzomah, and Nolan Smith could make me feel a lot better about them with really good combines though, but right now, they're like fringe guys that I see more as second rounders.

Will McDonald too, maybe, and Isaiah Foskey could get into that conversation if they blow up the combine.  But otherwise, unless some dudes show elite measurables, it's hard to see them as worth the investment when there are so many other great players at other positions.