EDGE Talk

MOSteelers56

14 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

I don't even think Ojulari is THAT bad against the run. But yeah, it feels like the worst case realistic scenario for him is Yannick Ngakoue or Cliff Avril. But I could see him being John Abraham or Osi Umenyiora good. Then again, I'm very, very high on the guy. He's such a gifted and smart pass rusher. And he actually plays hard against the run. He's not a plus as a run defender, but he gives plenty of effort.

Jrry,

Interesting. What do you think are his issues in run defense? Is it his lack of bulk (somewhat limited ability to correct) or is it technique issues that can potentially be fixed with coaching? It certainly doesn't seem to be because of effort or athleticism.

3 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

Jrry,

Interesting. What do you think are his issues in run defense? Is it his lack of bulk (somewhat limited ability to correct) or is it technique issues that can potentially be fixed with coaching? It certainly doesn't seem to be because of effort or athleticism.

It's a combination of a lack of power and length.

Just now, jrry32 said:

It's a combination of a lack of power and length.

So improvement in run defense may be limited to what he can work on from a functional power and strength perspective but he will likely always be limited based on size and length - is that your take? I really like Ojulari as a pass rusher and I really hope he has the ability/potential to be more than a DPR. If Brian Burns can be a starter, Ojulari should be able to, no? I am not saying Burns and Ojulari are similar prospects...just trying to figure out how Ojulari can make an impact in the NFL.

11 minutes ago, nicfre2011 said:

So improvement in run defense may be limited to what he can work on from a functional power and strength perspective but he will likely always be limited based on size and length - is that your take? I really like Ojulari as a pass rusher and I really hope he has the ability/potential to be more than a DPR. If Brian Burns can be a starter, Ojulari should be able to, no? I am not saying Burns and Ojulari are similar prospects...just trying to figure out how Ojulari can make an impact in the NFL.

I wouldn't treat Ojulari as a DPR. You just accept his limitations in the run game as the cost of doing business. I think at best, the guy becomes neither a net positive nor a net negative as a run defender. Right now, he's a net negative, but he's not a total liability. He is a good backside run defender and plays hard when teams run at him. He's just not good at anchoring or defeating run blocks.

3 hours ago, BetterCallSaul said:

Yeah no. He’s so good on the edge, especially as an edge setter. I wouldn’t want to move him—I don’t think he needs to move.

Surprised we don’t hear more Ojulari buzz. That dude is a freaking monster as a pass rusher. Elite grade as a rusher, but unjustifiably bad against the run. That said, in a passing league, this dude could be Dwight Freeney. 

It’s wild how good Smith is at setting an edge man. He’s not a big dude, but he’s so tough out there.

7 hours ago, goldfishwars said:

It’s wild how good Smith is at setting an edge man. He’s not a big dude, but he’s so tough out there.

That's a good point about Smith....considering Ojulari is what - 10-15 lbs. heavier it's an interesting comparison on run defense. Are there things that Smith does technique-wise that Ojulari doesn't or could it be a case of Ojulari selling out (or maybe being allowed to free lance) more while Smith has played in a defensive system that puts an emphasis on containment and control. Even if that was the case, what Smith can do in run defense is really impressive. I wouldn't think it is lack of effort with Ojulari as he seems to have a hot motor.

Edited by nicfre2011
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, nicfre2011 said:

That's a good point about Smith....considering Ojulari is what - 10-15 lbs. heavier it's an interesting comparison on run defense. Are there things that Smith does technique-wise that Ojulari doesn't or could it be a case of Ojulari selling out (or maybe being allowed to free lance) more while Smith has played in a defensive system that puts an emphasis on containment and control. Even if that was the case, what Smith can do in run defense is really impressive. I wouldn't think it is lack of effort with Ojulari as he seems to have a hot motor.

Ojulari doesn't trust his technique against the run. He is a wild horse out there in both run fits and pass rush. It's a thing of beauty at times, but he doesn't seem to do what Smith does at an elite level: Stop the run en route to the QB. Ojulari rushes the passer or tries to get TFL's. He will chase down the ball carrier once he reads run, but his initial technique should be run-to-pass.

Nolan Smith's technique really is the best in the class as far as edge players. He keeps people off of his chest and is a master-class of hand usage. His size is not a problem, which is kind of bizarre. He's so small and yet, manages to embarrass both finesse pass blockers and vicious run blockers with regularity.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, goldfishwars said:

Weird prospect, very quiet on him

Yeah hard to not like him, half the time it is like who is that house out on the edge there, oh it is Mike Morris.  That is massive size and rare athletic ability for a dude that huge.  At times he does not produce though but will be interesting how he works out athletically.  Really came out of nowhere, I did not know who he was before the season started, he is a real up and coming player and again the dude is a house.  I could see Green Bay stealing him in the 2nd round with how they like big OLB types and he would be a good backup developmental guy behind Gary.  

On 2/25/2023 at 10:43 AM, goldfishwars said:

Weird prospect, very quiet on him

I had a tough time making sense of Morris/Smith.  Morris impacted the play way more often than Smith, but watching tape, minus the splash plays, Smith consistently looks like the better player.  Morris is one of those tweeners that may project better as something he's not playing, and those are always tough to evaluate IMO.

Same thing with Lukas Van Ness.  Both are interior guys mostly playing Edge IMO.

2 hours ago, Daniel said:

I had a tough time making sense of Morris/Smith.  Morris impacted the play way more often than Smith, but watching tape, minus the splash plays, Smith consistently looks like the better player.  Morris is one of those tweeners that may project better as something he's not playing, and those are always tough to evaluate IMO.

Same thing with Lukas Van Ness.  Both are interior guys mostly playing Edge IMO.

I wouldn’t use either on the interior ever. They’re too tall to play with any leverage. Plus with Van Ness, he’s a freaking beast of an athlete. No reason he can’t play on the edge. True edge. He has the fastest first step out of any DE in the entire class.

1 minute ago, BetterCallSaul said:

I wouldn’t use either on the interior ever. They’re too tall to play with any leverage. Plus with Van Ness, he’s a freaking beast of an athlete. No reason he can’t play on the edge. True edge. He has the fastest first step out of any DE in the entire class.

Eh, I don't know about that.  Van Ness just looked like a pure bullrusher to me.  Now if he proves to be real fast, then sure, but someone who only has a bull rush and is his size dings my tweener alarm.  But who knows?

When I say interior, I mean as a 3-4 end.  I group 3-4 ends with IDLs when I'm talking about them.

• Like 1

On 2/27/2023 at 5:45 PM, BetterCallSaul said:

* Need citation