Packers Trade For Nobody Day 557

MacReady

15 hours ago, vegas492 said:

Linsley.  The one that was so good you didn't need to draft a center for a long time.

Stokes was a huge plus last year.

You undervalue Runyan.  

For where GB has been drafting, our front office has done a very good job.  One top 15 pick, right?  And that was Gary.  Wheeled and dealed for JA.

When you inherit a team like Gute did, it had established stars at premium positions.  QB.  RB.  WR.  LT.  DL.

We spent a lot of draft capital on CB.  And it's hit.  We've backfilled the guard position nicely.  They all can't be pre-injury Jenkins.  This is the year we went non-premium in round one, let's see how it shakes out.  Our premium pick isn't doing much.

Linsley was a TT pick in 2014.  Not Gute's pick.

Stokes is not a plus CB yet.   He showed a lot of promise as a rookie and is in a Soph slump.  Too early to tell.

Runyon is a starter, but a JAG.  He's been getting killed this year. Was OK last year.   The guard position has not been filled nicely.  The middle 3 of our OL has been getting caved in weekly this year.  Probably the single biggest reason this team is 3 - 5.

JA was a great pick.   Gary is over-rated on this board.  He is a very good pass rusher.  He is OK against the run but gives up the edge far too frequently for someone with his physical skills.    It seems he lacks trust in others and chases when he should be doing his job. 

For where our team is drafting it has not done a good job.   If an average of 2 players per year give a contribution you don't have enough overall talent on the roster.  The job done by Gute in the draft and in roster constitution is actually pretty poor.

15 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Linsley was a TT pick in 2014.  Not Gute's pick.

Stokes is not a plus CB yet.   He showed a lot of promise as a rookie and is in a Soph slump.  Too early to tell.

Runyon is a starter, but a JAG.  He's been getting killed this year. Was OK last year.   The guard position has not been filled nicely.  The middle 3 of our OL has been getting caved in weekly this year.  Probably the single biggest reason this team is 3 - 5.

JA was a great pick.   Gary is over-rated on this board.  He is a very good pass rusher.  He is OK against the run but gives up the edge far too frequently for someone with his physical skills.    It seems he lacks trust in others and chases when he should be doing his job. 

For where our team is drafting it has not done a good job.   If an average of 2 players per year give a contribution you don't have enough overall talent on the roster.  The job done by Gute in the draft and in roster constitution is actually pretty poor.

He inherited Lindsley, like the others.  He was so good and durable that we didn't have to pick a center for a long time.

Again, you are doing Stokes a disservice.  Big time.  Especially for his position that he plays and where he was selected.

Runyan isn't getting killed at all.  That was Newman.  Runyan is pretty solid.  I'd say he is about league average for a guard.  A guy you love to have on a rookie deal, but not a guy you pay big bucks for on his second deal.

I don't think I've ever seen someone say Gary is over rated.  

My point is this...Gute is drafting late.  He swung a deal to trade one first round pick for two, and he's hit on most of his first round picks.  He's found gems on the scrap heap and he's found a way to re-sign our core franchise type players that he inherited.  He hits in free agency when he has money.

You realize that you are being critical of this GM by saying his mid round picks haven't been game changers, right?

I mean, if you are going down that road, I'll give you another option.  Aaron Rodgers hasn't been worth his last 4 years of compensation because he can't make his WR room better like other QB's can.  To me, that is the same argument.  

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

But isn't Strikers examples kinda disproving that? Two contributors a year, from roughly 8 picks is 25%, the other examples were the Eagles 8/29 (27%), Bucs 19.5/49 (40%), and Chiefs were 9.5/32 (29%) and 4/18 (22%). I guess you say we are right below where we need to be to be serious Superbowl contenders, but I think we already knew that.

1 hour ago, Maverick said:

Gute is wonderfully average. Super Bowl here we come! 

Wasn't it Wolf who whiffed in the first round a lot, but found serious players in the mid rounds?

TT kind of hit all over the place early, then whiffed all over the place late?

Seems like Gute is really good in the first round, then it becomes muddied.  And I feel like that is the boat most GM's are in.

And I feel like we have kind of unrealistic expectations of mid round picks due to Wolf and the early TT drafts.

3 hours ago, Maverick said:

Gute is wonderfully average. Super Bowl here we come! 

While ignoring the ability to draft any skill positions other than RB when we already had two good ones. Taking a QB round one of a draft we were one player away from winning it all who turns out to be bad. 2020 was malpractice and he's been at best average other than that.

29 minutes ago, Mr Bad Example said:

Striker ran the KC and TB GMs, and they probably fall under "perfectly average" as well and have recent Super Bowls. 

....so maybe?

Exactly. Being a good GM is pure ******* luck. You can "suck" for three years and then have two great drafts, and suddenly you're one of the best minds in football.

It's all luck. 

Edited by Maverick
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Lions trade hockenson to the vikings (top of the division) for a 2nd and 4th for hock and 2 fourths. 

My original pitch was close

This burns me a little .. the Vikes are actually going for it, while the Packers are always content to see where the chips fall.  There isn't a team in the league that needs a top wide receiver more than the Packers .. do something!

• Like 1