Week 8: Titans @ Texans

TitanLegend

19 minutes ago, deeluxx3 said:

He does have zero feel for the game. We saw one end of the spectrum with Smith and Downing isn’t even in that stratosphere. 

And like I said in my post, this also stems from when Ryan is playing as well. 

yesterday was just “run the ball and lean on Henry.” There were some nice play designs thrown in there, sure, but my opinion on Downing is 100% regarding his entire body of work and not a single game with a mid round project QB 

I also defer to Jt OSullivan who knows football 10000x better than us who was openly critical of Downing a few times in that video about making things more complicated than they needed to be (although he did mention that he was overall a fan of Todd, so clearly there’s something there that I am missing)

lol, jt o'sullivan was way more positive than critical toward downing in that video so i don't think you're deferring to him at all. this is a perfectly fine opinion to have but it's very funny to say you're deferring to JT and his expansive football knowledge when you're expressing a polar opposite take than the one he actually had. he complimented our play designs repeatedly throughout that video. there were two calls he wasn't a fan of, which happens in literally every single video he posts, because there's not an offensive playcaller on earth that goes an entire game calling the perfect play every money down. 

at any rate, the original claim was that downing did malik no favors. it's very apparent that downing actually did malik a lot of favors lol. that's literally all i'm saying.

19 hours ago, deeluxx3 said:

Why are we acting like malik was a first round pick 

This.  I kind of expected Malik to look like this, though to be honest, I think he didn't even meet my expectations.  We knew he was a long term project.  He just did some good in the preseason that raised expectations to a probably unrealistic level.

Strangely enough, it did seem like the Texans were scheming mostly to stop the pass, so that made it tougher on him.  I don't know why they schemed to stop the pass, because that seems like a really, really obviously bad idea against a team with a raw rookie QB and a RB that's gashed you for 200+ yards every time you've seen him for the last three plus years, but it's what they did.

Texans gonna Texan.

Malik has at least another year and a half of development before we'd truly need him. However, if the coaching staff is unwilling to adjust the playbook just a little bit for his 1st ever start, then I doubt they'd be willing to do anything but try and simply fit his game into their own game plan. And he doesn't have the game for that.

35 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

Malik has at least another year and a half of development before we'd truly need him. However, if the coaching staff is unwilling to adjust the playbook just a little bit for his 1st ever start, then I doubt they'd be willing to do anything but try and simply fit his game into their own game plan. And he doesn't have the game for that.

they did very clearly adjust the playbook. you can argue that they should have done it more, but they absolutely ran looks that were catered to malik. 

14 minutes ago, -Hope- said:

they did very clearly adjust the playbook. you can argue that they should have done it more, but they absolutely ran looks that were catered to malik. 

They looked like they simplified it, but I would expect a better coaching staff to had had a good RPO package. Saw a little bit of it on the last drive of the 1st, but they waited like 5 possessions until they called it.

4 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

They looked like they simplified it, but I would expect a better coaching staff to had had a good RPO package. Saw a little bit of it on the last drive of the 1st, but they waited like 5 possessions until they called it.

RPO was the one thing i expected to see that wasn't there, but the rest? lots of zone read, naked bootlegs, QB draw (which admittedly didn't work at all lol). i thought it was basically fine. 

Just now, -Hope- said:

RPO was the one thing i expected to see that wasn't there, but the rest? lots of zone read, naked bootlegs, QB draw (which admittedly didn't work at all lol). i thought it was basically fine. 

I need to rewatch. I don't remember a QB draw, but I could have easily missed it.

7 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I need to rewatch. I don't remember a QB draw, but I could have easily missed it.

Yeah there were a couple.
One where it was like trips to the top of the screen, and he basically went east and west and couldn't get around the defenders. 

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

IIRC, didn't they call an RPO on one of the first plays and it ended horribly?  Like one of the sacks or almost INTs or something?