Bears Sign K Cairos Santos

BEAR FACE DOWN ARROW

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/football/bears/ct-spt-bears-sign-kicker-cairo-santos-20171120-story.html

Team has a lot of problems, but at least they're making a try and fixing the K position.  I know when they lined up for the game tying field goal on Sunday against the Lions, I sure didn't feel like it was going to happen, did you?

35 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

Obviously saw this coming from a mile away but at the very least it sends a message to the whole building if you are not doing your job we'll find someone who will

But also that you, and everyone else, has a long leash so feel free to phone it in for a while before getting fired. 

It would be totally in keeping with our beloved Bears that he makes 3 next week and then on the 4th his leg flies off.  I bet you Tarik can kick!

24 minutes ago, IronMike84 said:

It’s obviously just change for the sake of change. Their percentage is comparable inside of 40. Santos is 3% better than Barth at 40-49 and 2% worse over 50.

Even if Santos' numbers are just marginally better they still absolutely had to get rid of Barth after his poor performances over the past couple of seasons.  Yesterday was just the final nail in the coffin.

You simply cannot accept someone not being able to do their job consistently.  At the very least it sends a message and puts everyone on notice.

I'm not worried about career stats as much as Barth's recent failure. He is having a piss poor 2016 and 2017 and is trending down. Should have had some  UFA competition but im happy with the change anyway. 

If he sucks then we have a priority in the off-season. 

5 hours ago, IronMike84 said:

It’s obviously just change for the sake of change. Their percentage is comparable inside of 40. Santos is 3% better than Barth at 40-49 and 2% worse over 50.

Barth was just 74.4% on FGs in his 26 games with the Bears though. Well below his career averages. If Santos plays to the back of his card it’s a big upgrade from Barth the Bear. And if he doesn’t he should be replaced too. FWIW it’s also supposedly notoriously difficult to kick in Soldier Field by comparison to some other stadiums. 

Archived