Week 10 College Football Thread: WE'VE GOT MACTION (oh and #1 and #2 play)

MikeT14

19 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Assuming Tennessee wins out, I couldn't pick Oregon over them.

I'd have a very hard time putting in someone who didn't even play in the conference championship game over someone who won theirs (I'm sure an exception could be found though).

We'll see how it plays out

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

9 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'd have a very hard time putting in someone who didn't even play in the conference championship game over someone who won theirs (I'm sure an exception could be found though).

We'll see how it plays out

A conference championship game is completely meaningless. Oregon wouldn't be playing in a conference championship game if they played in the SEC East either. 

5 minutes ago, malibuspeedrace said:

It just doesn’t mean more to you

If Alabama played in the Pac 12, they're very likely the Pac 12 Champ. Nobody is arguing Alabama should get in. Same for TCU, they're not winning if they were in the SEC yet if they win out they still deserve to get in. It's a silly argument.

If Oregon wins out, they only way they don't get in is if TCU wins out AND LSU knocks off Georgia. In that scenario, I could see a 2-loss LSU SEC Champ getting in over Oregon. 

Oregon will eventually jump Tennessee with their schedule. All four of their remaining games should end up being against ranked teams, one against a top 10 team and another against a top 15 team. 

Edited by swoosh

31 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I don't think they would be but we can't use hypotheticals in place of reality. At least I can't

There is no "I don't think." They lost 49-3 to UGA. Tennessee isn't going to be in the SECCG because they lost 27-13 to UGA. JFC.

3 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

There is no "I don't think." They lost 49-3 to UGA. Tennessee isn't going to be in the SECCG because they lost 27-13 to UGA. JFC.

I'm sorry this is making you so upset. Might be time to take a step back and calm down lol.

There's this thing where teams get better as the season progresses as well especially after big changes like, you know, head coaching changes lol. I'm almost certain that they could replay that game today and it wouldn't be close to the same outcome.... but, again, hypotheticals

1 minute ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

I'm sorry this is making you so upset. Might be time to take a step back and calm down lol.

There's this thing where teams get better as the season progresses as well especially after big changes like, you know, head coaching changes lol. I'm almost certain that they could replay that game today and it wouldn't be close to the same outcome.... but, again, hypotheticals

Willful ignorance does annoy me. But I'm better off moving on than going in circles with it. 

P.S. The coaching change didn't stop UF, an average SEC team this year, from beating Utah in Week 1. The Pac-12 simply isn't a good conference.

13 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

Willful ignorance does annoy me. But I'm better off moving on than going in circles with it. 

P.S. The coaching change didn't stop UF, an average SEC team this year, from beating Utah in Week 1. The Pac-12 simply isn't a good conference.

Why are you acting like people are autonomous? Yes, Florida beat Utah the first week. Doesn't mean every team that gets a new coach will find the same immediate success. I don't disagree the conference isn't the best but that doesn't mean Oregon isn't playing well also bc they are. Again, my biggest gripe with your scenario isn't Oregon it's a team that didn't even play in the conference championship getting in. Feel like that should be like a prerequisite or something

Edited by BobbyPhil1781

3 minutes ago, BobbyPhil1781 said:

Why are you acting like people are autonomous? Yes, Florida beat Utah the first week. Doesn't mean every team that gets a new coach will find the same immediate success. I don't disagree the conference isn't the best but that doesn't mean Oregon isn't playing well also bc they are. Again, my biggest gripe with your scenario isn't Oregon it's a team that didn't even play in the conference championship getting in. Feel like that should be like a prerequisite or something

The goal should be the four best teams. Not arbitrary rules to make lesser conferences feel better.

1 minute ago, jrry32 said:

The goal should be the four best teams. Not arbitrary rules to make lesser conferences feel better.

It's not that black and white. Alabama is a better team than TCU, but it doesn't mean Alabama deserves a playoff spot over TCU. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, swoosh said:

It's not that black and white. Alabama is a better team than TCU, but it doesn't mean Alabama deserves a playoff spot over TCU. 

Alabama is probably better, but TCU is undefeated. If Oregon was undefeated and didn't play UGA week 1, I'd say they should be in if they win out.

Just now, jrry32 said:

Alabama is probably better, but TCU is undefeated. If Oregon was undefeated and didn't play UGA week 1, I'd say they should be in if they win out.

So the four best teams deserve to get in. Your words. 

Alabama is "probably better" than TCU but TCU deserves to get in over Alabama.

Something has to give. 

16 minutes ago, swoosh said:

So the four best teams deserve to get in. Your words. 

Alabama is "probably better" than TCU but TCU deserves to get in over Alabama.

Something has to give. 

When Alabama and TCU don't have common opponents and TCU is undefeated, it's guess work. Oregon got its chance and got wrecked.