Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

Honestly, at this point, I'm trading up to 11 with the Titans to land JSN. They're going to take a tackle, most likely, and they'll want to keep JSN out of the division with the Texans picking 12th.

Based on the Rich Hill chart, it would cost us our 3rd to go from 15 to 11. Well worth it.

11 (358) and 147 (13) for 15 (315) and 78 (59)

Get 'er done, Gute man.

Tennessee may very well want him for themselves. Their receiver room is worse than ours. Best bet would be to trade with Philly at 10

54 minutes ago, beekay414 said:

Hyatt is an enigma. Convince me he's not Troy Williamson. JSN laps Hyatt in terms of being a WR right now. Flowers is fun as ****. I'll give you that. Johnston...I just don't get the hype. 

JSN for me laps the field as WR1. 

Oh I think Hyatt has sticky hands and can track it as good as anyone. He's a natural pass catcher with elite quickness and top end speed that played in an offense that amplified his ability. 

He has work to do, but if he's a hard worker I'd want my staff to work with him.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Oh I think Hyatt has sticky hands and can track it as good as anyone. He's a natural pass catcher with elite quickness and top end speed that played in an offense that amplified his ability. 

He has work to do, but if he's a hard worker I'd want my staff to work with him.

My dude is cookie dough raw. 43 or 45? Sure, no problem. Let's dream on him. He just doesn't have the route tree or the nuances of the game down. We see guys like him annually that don't click. Right now, he's a deep shot guy. Can he get a free release so he can get to that top end speed? Can he stick his foot into the ground and create separation when crowded? 

I see the tools. I question the toolbox. He's a day 2 guy for a reason. I want a more refined guy if I'm investing a mid-1st (considering we're talking him vs JSN here). I feel that's fair on my end.

Edited by beekay414
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Love this disagreement! Can’t wait to see how it unfolds! I’ll give you credit if you’re right but I expect credit if he doesn’t pan out.

No one seems to really have balls to pick the players that will bust. Happy to make a stand.

I may not agree with you completely on JSN, but your going against the grain (in a polite manner) for the sake of spicing up our arm-chair quarterback discussions, is much appreciated. Thank you! I tend to think JSN and QJ may be a bit overrated given it's a weaker year for WR's (in terms of either #1 or #2 WR potential, though I see a bunch of prospects with #3 or #4 WR potential with time/development). In other years they might be evaluated as more late first to mid 2nd rounders.

In any case, not to preach to anyone's choir here, but when your team is in a rebuild, I 'generally'--not always, but generally--think it is best to fortify the trenches first (i.e., LT, RT, Edge, DL) and then build outward from there to the other positions. This of course assumes you have a sufficient QB to start with or one you are projecting to get. No doubt, drafting OLineman in 1st and/or 2nd round is not as sexy as a WR or a Flex TE. But that is the foundation you build an offense upon. The guns are the last thing you put on the tank, so to speak.  I like JSN. I wouldn't complain if they took him at #15 though I would not trade up for him. But I'd be just as accepting if they, say, drafted RT Darnell Wright at #15, or DT Brian Bresee, or EDGE Myles Murphy or Lukas Van Ness (this assuming they had tried to trade down from #15 but were unable to) in the realization that our trenches need some fortifying. 

• Like 1

After watching a bunch of the top WRs, here's my rankings:

1. JSN - best WR in the draft. Will not bust.

2. Quenton Johnson - draws you in with H/W/S, but you stay for the short area agility and open field ability to make people miss. Deep ball tracking is on point.

3. Zay Flowers - he's the best of the little guys and it's not even close. He's going to be a star, no question about it.

4. Jalyn Hyatt - every single play he is noticably the fastest player on the field. Great deep tracking skills. Surprisingly natural pass catcher.

5. Jonathan Mingo - every play he seems to do something amazing. Might end up higher on this list. Take him in the late second if you want him. 

6. Xavier Hutchison - smooth athlete on the field. Seems to have a knack for getting open.

7. Dontravyous Wicks - imposing yet smooth athlete who is a natural hands catcher that could be a steal late in the draft.

8. Rashee Rice - looks smooth as well. Not sure why his draft stock is slipping, he was better than I thought he would be

9. Cedric Tillman - gives me James Jones vibes in a good way. Looks large on the field and uses that size.

10. AT Perry - this guy looks even bigger. A bit lumbering but he can cut and move fairly effortlessly. 

11. Nathaniel Dell - tiny dude but fun to watch! He's so shifty and slippery that he piles up YAC.ww won't draft him for his size, but he'll be a solid NFL player.

12. Andrei Iosivas - for such a combine warrior, he seems slower on the field than he should be. Not a natural pass catcher. But lots of potential.

13. Josh Downs - a move-the-chains slot guy who's most notable trait on film is his quick burst off the LOS. I wasn't very impressed.

14. Marvin Mims Jr - the definition of "meh".

15. Jordan Addison - looks even smaller on the field than he is. Struggled to create separation. If I'm watching a "highlight" reel and feel underwhelmed it's not a good sign for you. 

I'll watch Bryce Ford-Wheaton next.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Hyatt is an enigma. Convince me he's not Troy Williamson. JSN laps Hyatt in terms of being a WR right now. Flowers is fun as ****. I'll give you that. Johnston...I just don't get the hype. 

JSN for me laps the field as WR1. 

I don’t remember Williamson the prospect , but I’m big on Hyatt though. Speed is given, but I think he’s ‘deceptive’ using it. Natural pass catcher and I think he has more YAC abilities than he showed.

AB as a comp for Flowers is a real good one. Never thought of that. The last player I thought reminded me of AB was Anthony Miller 🙈. You think he could be someone we covet ? 

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Love this disagreement! Can’t wait to see how it unfolds! I’ll give you credit if you’re right but I expect credit if he doesn’t pan out.

No one seems to really have balls to pick the players that will bust. Happy to make a stand.

I think you need to define what not panning out would be. 

Over the first 4 years of his career.....

?? Receptions in a season 

?? Yards in a season 

?? Positioned as a top 20 WR based on ????

8 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

its hard to know who will bust until you know what team/system they will be on. most prospects aren't just bad. most fail when they are a square peg going through a circle hole.

9 hours ago, beekay414 said:

Depends on whether or not the goalposts move. What's your idea of JSN busting? 

Not living up to a first round pick if he is one would be on the bust scale. I’m sure you’d agree where he ends up matters a lot so let’s come back to it. 

6 hours ago, Sandy said:

After watching a bunch of the top WRs, here's my rankings:

8. Rashee Rice - looks smooth as well. Not sure why his draft stock is slipping, he was better than I thought he would be

I'll watch Bryce Ford-Wheaton next.

Rice was not nearly as big as advertised.  When I looked at the WRs a week or so before the combine, he was listed in some places as 6'3 or 4 and he is 6'1 at the combine.  He also kind of has the Jordan Addison vibes with his highligts.

Check out the Arkansas WRs while you look at BFW.  Matt Landers and Jadon Hazelwood.  I like them both, and they hit most of your athletic wants.  Hazelwood is a tad slower than you would like.  But I think both of these guys will be 6th round to undrafted.  

51 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I think you need to define what not panning out would be. 

Over the first 4 years of his career.....

?? Receptions in a season 

?? Yards in a season 

?? Positioned as a top 20 WR based on ????

I’ll throw a response at you too just so you know we’ll wait until he’s drafted to see QB/Situation before setting expectations. Opportunity is not guaranteed off the bat.