Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

Just now, NFLGURU said:

Question for the masses,

Assuming his back checks out, are we good with trading down into the 20s, picking up another pick, and taking Kincaid?

Yes?

Hell no?

Depends on who else is there?

I wouldn't hate the pick in the 20s, but I'm also thinking that if the Packers plan to move back and draft a 1st round TE, it would be for Mayer or Washington before Kincaid. 

I think the funniest thing in all of prospect comparisons is draftniks and NFL executives that chime in almost always refuse to compare black players to white players and vice versa. Comparing Young to Brees is progress but Stroud is Goff, not Dak. Richardson is far more Allen than Cam. Hendon Hooker is Geno Smith? DTR is Tyrod Taylor? Jaren Hall is Russell Wilson? C'mon lol.

Just look at this list...

Young - Drew Brees
Stroud - Dak Prescott
Richardson - Cam Newton
Levis - Matthew Stafford
Hooker - Geno Smith
DTR - Tyrod Taylor
Bennett - Case Keenum
Duggan - Taysom Hill
O'Connell - Nathan Peterman
Jaren Hall - Russell Wilson
Jake Haener - Brock Purdy
Clayton Tune - Taylor Heinicke
Tanner McKee - Josh Rosen

47 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

A question occurs- is the high board on Darnell Washington going to be a team that sees him as a developmental left tackle a la Jason Peters (TE, Arkansas)?

Jason Peters was undrafted... are you really taking a developmental tackle in the 1st round???

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

Question for the masses,

Assuming his back checks out, are we good with trading down into the 20s, picking up another pick, and taking Kincaid?

Yes?

Hell no?

Depends on who else is there?

I don't like Kincaid, so I vote Hell No.  I am not against moving down into the 20s depending on what the board looks like at the time though.  

1 minute ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't like Kincaid, so I vote Hell No.  I am not against moving down into the 20s depending on what the board looks like at the time though.  

Haven't watched much on Kincaid yet.   What don't you like about him?  Too one dimensional? Back Issues?

Edited by hitnhope

36 minutes ago, Lodestar said:

Jason Peters was undrafted... are you really taking a developmental tackle in the 1st round???

Completely different era and we have the example of "this guy was a TE, but he had more pancakes that catches, and he ended up as a HoF left tackle".  Like Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick, but a lot of big long corners ended up going in the first round because of how good he was.

I'm not saying that you take him before any of the top tackles but "guy you can play at TE for a year mostly as a blocker then transitions to OL as he naturally bulks up and hone the craft"  is significantly more valuable than "developmental TE who mostly blocks." 

Like if the Packers drafted him, I would seriously advocate for moving him to LT eventually.  Like Cody Mauch is 24, and Darnell Washington is 21.  If Washington had played 3 more years of CFB there's a good chance Georgia would have moved him to Tackle.  It's not weird when a position switch happens in college, and it shouldn't be weird when the NFL does it.  Like Clay Matthews III was an off-ball LB for the Trojans, Antwaan Randle El was a QB for the Hoosiers, Julian Edelman was a QB for Kent State, etc. 

Edited by PossibleCabbage

11 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Haven't watched much on Kincaid yet.   What don't you like about him?  Too one dimensional? Back Issues?

To me, I just don't see the special that a lot of people seem to get.  I posted Kincaid highlights and Jace Sternberger highlights together the other day.  I don't see a difference.  If we want to get away from Packers TEs, I see Jace Amaro.  I see guys that are a little too slow to be WRs, but not physical enough to block anyone that you expect a typical TE to be able to block.  I don't like the mold in general, and I really don't like it in the first round.  

Let's say the Lions draft Witherspoon, and we draft Kincaid.  Who is winning that match-up?

10 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

Completely different era and we have the example of "this guy was a TE, but he had more pancakes that catches, and he ended up as a HoF left tackle".  Like Richard Sherman was a 5th round pick, but a lot of big long corners ended up going in the first round because of how good he was.

I'm not saying that you take him before any of the top tackles but "guy you can play at TE for a year mostly as a blocker then transitions to OL as he naturally bulks up and hone the craft"  is significantly more valuable than "developmental TE who mostly blocks." 

Like if the Packers drafted him, I would seriously advocate for moving him to LT eventually.  Like Cody Mauch is 24, and Darnell Washington is 21.  If Washington had played 3 more years of CFB there's a good chance Georgia would have moved him to Tackle.  It's not weird when a position switch happens in college, and it shouldn't be weird when the NFL does it.  Like Clay Matthews III was an off-ball LB for the Trojans, Antwaan Randle El was a QB for the Hoosiers, Julian Edelman was a QB for Kent State, etc. 

I don't hate the idea at all, I just don't know how realistic it is. I like Washington a lot though.

Learning how to play LT from the position of "a big athletic guy who knows the fundamentals of blocking" might even be an easier transition than "learning how to play TE in the NFL."  We've seen a bunch of examples of quality TE prospects taking four or five years to adapt to the NFL game.

6 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

To me, I just don't see the special that a lot of people seem to get.  I posted Kincaid highlights and Jace Sternberger highlights together the other day.  I don't see a difference.  If we want to get away from Packers TEs, I see Jace Amaro.  I see guys that are a little too slow to be WRs, but not physical enough to block anyone that you expect a typical TE to be able to block.  I don't like the mold in general, and I really don't like it in the first round.  

Let's say the Lions draft Witherspoon, and we draft Kincaid.  Who is winning that match-up?

Tucker Kraft will be better than Dalton Kincaid. Kraft's a damn weapon.