Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

30 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Paris would be ahead of Wright but probably the same spot on list above. OT would be a future pick. I'd run to the podium with his name if he's there, though. Top 3 non-QB in this draft IMO.

My current top 10 value:

1. Bryce Young

2. Anthony Richardson

3. Paris Johnson

4. Will Anderson

5. CJ Stroud

6. Tyree Wilson

7. Christian Gonzalez

8. Devon Witherspoon

9. Darnell Wright

10. Myles Murphy 

(I don't have Jalen Carter on my board. I'm not interested in a guy who thinks it's ok to race against an obviously drunk colleague/friend at over 100mph)

Yes carter is not on my board. The driving issue and fitness are both no-go's for me. 

18 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Aaron jones is a legit top 5 rb in the league, but he isnt even going to carry 250 times. I think aj dillon could carry 150, and we could still have 100-200 carries for bijan. 

Legit run and PA threat on every single down less than 3rd and 6. 

If we were to draft Bijan there is no reason Dillon needs to see the field other than if Bijan can't figure out the pass blocking.   I personally don't see a lot in Dillon that can't be easily replaced other than pass blocking.   Not explosive, doesn't run with the power his size would indicateHe's fine on the roster at his cap hit of $1.7 but Bijan is a weapon in all phases of the game.   Dillon has bigger quads...so there's that

25 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I like Bijan a lot, but not sure he even cracks my top 20-25 for 2022 top potential contributors.

I think he's a lot like Christian McCaffrey, could just as easily work from the slot as be a RB.    I'd much rather have Bijan on the team than Flowers.    I think he'll have significantly more receptions than Flowers in yr 1 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Kampfgeist said:

If we were to draft Bijan there is no reason Dillon needs to see the field other than if Bijan can't figure out the pass blocking.   I personally don't see a lot in Dillon that can't be easily replaced other than pass blocking.   Not explosive, doesn't run with the power his size would indicateHe's fine on the roster at his cap hit of $1.7 but Bijan is a weapon in all phases of the game.   Dillon has bigger quads...so there's that

Dillon looked good in pass pro last year. I am optimistic that his balance and power will be better this year.

We passed from RPO so much last year, I would not mind to see us do that much less.

1 hour ago, Packerraymond said:

I just see a plodder. Man does he look like he's got concrete in his cleats to me. 

I see a plodder as well.

You know I see that in Washington, too.  But here is the difference.  Once Washington gets 3 to 4 steps into a route (straight line), he gets some nice speed.  Mayer looks to be stuck in slow-mo mode the entire time.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Exercise for y'all...

Rank your top 5 players in this draft that would help Love the most in 2022. And why.

We're just selling out to make Love look good in 2023?

1.  JSN - Gets open all the time, should be a first down machine.  Don't worry about the big plays, we still have Watson, Doubs, and Jones on the roster.

2.  Darnell Washington - Bruising blocker in the run game, big enough and athletic enough to get some sneaky yardage when he isn't blocking.  Should be a younger version of Marcedes Lewis that played for the Jaguars.

3.  Peter Skoronski - He was a good college tackle, and looks to be a good NFL guard.  He doesn't even necessarily have to start.  He can be the right side sub, while Zach Tom is the left side sub.  If either Nijman or Runyan struggle or are injured, Skoronski comes in and we don't have to see the Rhyan and Newman show.  If he is better than Runyan or Nijman right away, that is a good problem to have too.

4.  Jahmyr Gibbs - I think he is every bit as good as Bijan, but also faster.  I think he could also see the field in that gimmicky Ervin/Austin role, he is a good receiver.

5.  Since I got my slot WR, my inline TE, and a back, I want either a receiving TE or a big WR.  And there are plenty of guys that could fit this mold.  But since I also hate honorable mentions that make top 10s into top 19s, give me Michael Mayer.  I get a Kyle Rudolph or Cole Kmet type of vibe from him, but he should be a decent blocker, and receiver to help the young QB when things break down.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Exercise for y'all...

Rank your top 5 players in this draft that would help Love the most in 2022. And why.

My list:

(1) Michael Mayer. He would be a day 1 starter at our weakest position.

(2) JSN. He would be a day 1 contributor at slot. He's behind Mayer for me due to current roster depth. I think our staff is REALLY high on the Watson/Doubs duo, but JSN would step in immediately on slot snaps.

(3) Darnell Washington. Same reasoning as Mayer, but Washington won't offer the same receiving threat immediately as Mayer. I think Washington has some real ability here, but he's not as polished. But he's a day 1 starter/contributor at TE.

(4) Zay Flowers. I think long-term he's the second best value on this list behind only Wright below. He'd step in at slot immediately and add more juice to this offense. I think he's a tick behind JSN on day 1, however.

(5) Darnell Wright + Yosh Nijman trade. Wright is the best long-term value in this group, but I think the other 3 offer more of a day 1 improvement over their replacements. But I think the added value of trading Nijman boosts the value Wright would add by locking down the RT spot.

I'll play...

1) JSN.  Not only can he get open in a phone booth, he's also very, very smart.  Refined.  Watson and Doubs will draw some coverage, especially deep and open up stuff for JSN.  And vice versa.  He's about as pro ready as they come and his deficiencies will be covered up because we have two other guys that do things that he cannot.  

2)  Kincaid.  He's a big slot, like Lazard.  Great catch radius.  Our staff should be excited about the passing game opportunities with him out there.

3)  QJ.  Height/weight/speed prospect.  Adding his size and RAC ability to this WR crew would be great.

4)  Washington.  He immediately helps the run game with his blocking.  And he'll add 250 receiving yards or something like that.  He's never going to be a 600+ receiving yards guy...but he's a nice piece of the puzzle on offense.

5)  Wright.  Assuming that Johnson is gone and Skorow are gone, Wright solidifies a tackle spot immediately.  Love that he played RT and LT.

After that...Bijan would be nice, but we need to trade Dillon or Jones.  Then I'd have a slew of guys like Mayer, Hyatt, Flowers....etc.

• Like 1

Just now, Brit Pack said:

I'm interested in some of the Centers in this years draft. They are meant to very good and one could be had in the 3rd round e.g. Tippman, Wypler, Patterson. I would like to have backup/competition to Myers

That Minnesota kid with 3 names is a pretty special center.  Physically and mentally.  He's a leader.  Alpha.  Schmitz.  

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

1) Meyer.  He's going to be on the field since he's already good enough at traditional TE things and is your go-to red zone target.

2) JSN.  They need bodies at the position, and he does different things than Watson and Doubs do.

3) Washington: His route-running needs work, but there's not a blocking snap where you mind having this guy on the field and he's got great hands and is fun with the ball in his hands.  He honestly might never come off the field.  I hate taking a developmental TE high, but he's a unicorn.

4) Bijan.  What we have in house at RB is pretty good, but the running game has run into trouble when either Jones or Dillon was unavailable since neither of them does what the other guy can do well.  Bijan can do everything.

5) QJ: He's big and fast and you can never have enough of those.

I can't fathom how any TE helps more then Kincaid year one. Mayer is a second rounder that looks like an athletic lineman when he runs. How are you going to seperate in the NFL when you can't in college?

Gute knows we need weapons for Love. There is no chance anyone in that building thinks Mayer is the player Kincaid is in the slot. It's not close with the route running and ability to get open. The kid is elite with his route running and hands. Mayer is elite at nothing but very solid at everything. 

I doubt we take Kincaid at 15 but if we end up with Mayer at 15 it'll be Myers over Creed 2.0 with our pick of the litter. Please no, Gute.

Edited by PackFan13
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

I can't fathom how any TE helps more then Kincaid year one. Mayer is a second rounder that looks like an athletic lineman when he runs. How are you going to seperate in the NFL when you can't in college?

Gute knows we need weapons for Love. There is no chance anyone in that building thinks Mayer is the player Kincaid is in the slot. It's not close with the route running and ability to get open. The kid is elite with his route running and hands. Mayer is elite at nothing but very solid at everything. 

Kincaid comes off to me as someone that is smallish on the field.  looks small, plays small.  I know he is listed height and weighed in pretty similar to some other TE, but that is my feel/look on him.  mice for round 2-3, but i'd have a hard time using round 1 pick on him

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

I doubt we take Kincaid at 15 but if we end up with Mayer at 15 it'll be Myers over Creed 2.0 with our pick of the litter. Please no, Gute.

Look, you know my stance on Kincaid for GB.

But...there is a slight, ever so slight, possibility that the club values an in-line TE with an all around skillset as opposed to a big slot, receiving tight end.

That's why it isn't difficult to fathom how any TE helps you more than Kincaid in year one.  All around game, including in line blocking.  Add that to the fact the TE's take quite some time to get up to NFL speed, on the receiving game, and you will see more about how an in-line blocking TE could be perceived to help GB more than a receiving/slot TE.

Edited by vegas492

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Exercise for y'all...

My list:

(1) Michael Mayer. He would be a day 1 starter at our weakest position.

(2) JSN. He would be a day 1 contributor at slot. He's behind Mayer for me due to current roster depth. I think our staff is REALLY high on the Watson/Doubs duo, but JSN would step in immediately on slot snaps.

(3) Darnell Washington. Same reasoning as Mayer, but Washington won't offer the same receiving threat immediately as Mayer. I think Washington has some real ability here, but he's not as polished. But he's a day 1 starter/contributor at TE.

(4) Zay Flowers. I think long-term he's the second best value on this list behind only Wright below. He'd step in at slot immediately and add more juice to this offense. I think he's a tick behind JSN on day 1, however.

(5) Darnell Wright + Yosh Nijman trade. Wright is the best long-term value in this group, but I think the other 3 offer more of a day 1 improvement over their replacements. But I think the added value of trading Nijman boosts the value Wright would add by locking down the RT spot.

1) Dalton Kincaid- weakest position on the team gets an immediate starter that gives us elite hands, route running while being a first down machine and serious threat in the red zone. Mismatch nightmare in the slot with DBs are too small and backers are too slow/stiff. Loves favorite target

2) JSN - I think the impact with Dalton is nearly the same. I moved Kincaid up due to the trash heap room we have at TE. JSN is a stud that provides a similar security blanket for the love. Would love a Greg Jennings type guy to pair with Watson.

3) Zay Flowers - Big impact with a really high ceiling if he puts it together. Electric in the slot that helps improve pass catchers greatly

4) Quentin Johnston - Big receiver to put opposite of Watson

5) Peter Skoronski - helps improve the pretty poor interior line play with an immediately elite guard.