Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

On 4/19/2023 at 6:00 AM, Packerraymond said:

I have Mayer behind Washington, Kincaid and Laporta. He's just so plodding. Going to have to win entirely with savvy at the next level, that's not a first round pick to me. I'm considering moving Kraft above him too, just looks more fluid.

One challenge for you - ignore the pre-draft rankings and tell me Schoonmaker is not a better prospect than Mayer.

I've actually got Mayer ranked 6th in the class (Kraft 8th).

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

One challenge for you - ignore the pre-draft rankings and tell me Schoonmaker is not a better prospect than Mayer.

Really like Schoonmaker, and as a Michigan fan, I can vouch that he was underutilized there. I don't have him in same tier as Mayer, however, if the Packers want to hit EDGE, WR, OT, DB earlier and double-dip on TE in the 3-5 rounds, I would love a combination like Schoon/Whyle or Schoon/Strange. 

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Regarding Tonyan and being split out wide....

PFF has him at the following snaps at the following positions on the field...for last year.

151 slot plays.

78 plays lined up wide.

171 plays inline.

400 snaps total on pass plays.

Not sure what that tells you, but I thought you would want the data.

As I'm looking at it....nothing stands out to me.  The data of where he lined up, per game, is pretty consistent.   Only real outlier I see is 20 snaps in the slot against the Jets.  His next highest total was 14 snaps in the slaot against Tampa.  Inline blocking...he had 20 snaps there against Miami, the next highest in line snap count was 14 against Buffalo. 

I love that people don't seem to understand the offense is formed around the players we have. You bring Kincaid in and think MLF isn't going to alter what position the TE was in the previous years? 

We have nothing at TE, Tonyan wasn't very good before the injury and certainly not after it. MLF would put Kincaid in different positions because he's way more talented and offers much more to the passing game. 

19 minutes ago, Sandy said:

He isn't better than Mayer, but he could very well be much better value

36 minutes ago, Sandy said:

He's not. Mayer is a more complete prospect and he's 3 years younger than Schoonmaker. There's no world where Luke is a better prospect. 

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Chew on this all you JSN lovers :)

I do wonder if the last three 1st round picks by Gutes weren't defensive players from Georgia if Nolan Smith would be getting as much play to the Packers as he is. 

2 minutes ago, R T said:

I do wonder if the last three 1st round picks by Gutes weren't defensive players from Georgia if Nolan Smith would be getting as much play to the Packers as he is. 

Georgia's superceded Alabama as the hot program. We're gonna create "Georgia North" :)

1 minute ago, R T said:

I can't imagine he would be.  He is smaller than Quay Walker, and is a pass rusher.  Can it work? Maybe.  Is the ridiculous 40 yard dash tempting? Yes.  Does a 235 pound pass rusher get washed out of a ton of plays by NFL tackles? Absolutely.  I don't care how "strong" he is, when the offense lines up their 260 pound FB and hits him 3 plays in a row, he is not going to fair well.  

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I can't imagine he would be.  He is smaller than Quay Walker, and is a pass rusher.  Can it work? Maybe.  Is the ridiculous 40 yard dash tempting? Yes.  Does a 235 pound pass rusher get washed out of a ton of plays by NFL tackles? Absolutely.  I don't care how "strong" he is, when the offense lines up their 260 pound FB and hits him 3 plays in a row, he is not going to fair well.  

Nolan Smith is absolutely elite against the run though 

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

Georgia's superceded Alabama as the hot program. We're gonna create "Georgia North" :)

I think it is safe to say that Gutes has a lot of faith in the people he is getting his intel from at Georgia, career staking level faith one could say. With that in mind we should probably be keeping an open mind to the Jalen Carter situation and if he dropped far enough would the Packers trade up for him.

Think of the Raider at the 7th pick, rumor this week is that they have Hooker as their number 3 QB may want to trade back rather than picking him in the top ten. With the extra second round pick from the Jets would Gutes be tempted to trade up for what most people had as the number one player in the draft? Carter, Clark and Wyatt across that DL front is a gamechanger. 

Coincidently the Raiders 7th overall pick and the Packers picks at 15 and 45 overall are an even match points wise.