Cwood is a nerd and so are all the Packer Favorite Prospects: 2023 Draft Discussion Thread

MacReady

I think what does draft fans a disservice is that the Draft-Media Complex will tiptoe around a wide variety of things as "character" issues, because actually getting into the weeds about this is going to be uncomfortable for TV producers (Like Tony Washington went on to have a 13 year career in the CFL, but no NFL team would touch him because he's a registered sex offender, and you can find out for what exactly on his wikipedia page).  But team scouts are actually digging around to get as much dirt as possible.

So teams are going to figure out whether Jaylen Carter is legitimately a bad person, or if he's just someone who has issues with certain types of authority and has made some dumb youthful decisions.  The media doesn't want to touch this distinction though.

I think the Packers put a lot of weight on character especially higher picks.  No team is going to hit on all their picks, but I think the Packers do their homework on players backgrounds and character.  When you are investing millions of dollars its pretty important to know what you are getting.  We don't get to see a lot of the background stuff on players, some stuff leaks but often its right before the draft (like hours before )where teams struggle to verify the validity of the rumor.    I think the Packers do a good job of nailing their guys down and sticking to their board.  I can't verify that, but I believe it's true.

Edited by NFLGURU

12 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

I think the Packers put a lot of weight on character especially higher picks.  No team is going to hit on all their picks, but I think the Packers do their homework on players backgrounds and character.  When you are investing millions of dollars its pretty important to know what you are getting.  We don't get to see a lot of the background stuff on players, some stuff leaks but often its right before the draft (like hours before )where teams struggle to verify the validity of the rumor.    I think the Packers do a good job of nailing their guys down and sticking to their board.  I can't verify that, but I believe it's true.

i dont remember the last time the packers drafted a guy with major character ? marks. i guess 2004

22 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Looking at Jalen Carter's draft stock after his incident, my comparison is a Laremy Tunsil everyone can see coming. Not that I'm comparing WHAT made their stock fall, just that their stock fell and I expect Carter to be selected... roughly similar to where Tunsil was taken, which was still a big fall but he still was a 1st Round selection.

Would raise a lot of questions if he were to fall to #15 however. I'll admit he'd still be tempting, character issues or no- we badly need more impact at DL(even if its the Goatse defense for a reason) and the dude is a Top 5 talent on this board. That said, we could find a need elsewhere BPA be darned and have an excuse to pass on him too.

I think you have really get into the coaches and people around him to find out about him.  Remember,  you got 3 of his teammates on the Packers defense to support him.  I'm not sure if that factors in at all but it's 3 references and 3 guys who know him.   I dont think he makes it to 15 but if he does, you got a pretty good idea of what he's like and what you can expect.

5 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

i dont remember the last time the packers drafted a guy with major character ? marks. i guess 2004

It goes back to Wolf.   He said something like "Players run a red light in other cities, it isn't reported.  A player runs a red light in Green Bay it's on the 6 O'Clock news"

Character matters, and probably more now with camera phones everywhere.  

2 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I just did a really goofy sim, I traded back in the second round a few times.  I also kept getting offers to move down like 2 or 3 picks for extra picks.  I drafted 23 players, LOL! I was reasonably satisfied with my haul.  

I remember pulling something like that on another board. Two rounds only, I was picking for Miami back when they went 1-15 and had 1st Overall. Traded down multiple times and picked up multiple selections(I wanna say several 1sts and 2nds but I'm probably looking back through rose-tinted glasses).

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Alright Albert Breer is saying Michael Mayer is what he keeps hearing at 15 even though the league says Dalton Kincaid to GB.

I think it’s high for both but would love Mayer to be on this team with Love.

Maybe or maybe not, but it is the Monday of draft week, and it is metal to the pedal for lying season.