2022 GDT Da Steelers 2-6 Host Da Saints 3-6

Steeler Hitman

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I think he is hearing footsteps that are not there.  Or, as Mark Schlereth said, he needs to learn to throw when the receivers are NFL open not college open.  Hopefully he gains this with experience.  As i have said, Ben's rookie season ruined me for expectations for QBs.  Ben was making those throws where only his WR could catch them.  He also had Plax and Ward

You can see him look right at the pass rush a split second before throwing the ball. 

I am more worried now as someone i trust for QB evaluations says he is looking like Josh Rosen right now.  His words

If I had to speculate, perhaps its a thing that happens when you don't trust your throw to be both strong and accurate on certain kinds of throws, like up and down with velocity.

Edited by jebrick

1 hour ago, bigben07MVP said:

Couldn’t tell watching it live if Kenny missed anyone here. Turns out he completely missed DJ for a TD.

Just my observation, but Kenny has been very predetermined with where he wants to go with the football. He is going through the motions of looking off coverages, but it doesn't seem like he is actually reading anything. Has had a couple misses like this one where he is staring right at the area that should be telling him what to do, but he does something else. 

Man align, he is reading the high safety and when he drifts over the 2 receiver side and there is no other high S that should have been the first tell. Honey Badger chasing DJ right in front of the first read should have been the second. 

This was a 3 receiver look on a max protect and he missed the first read. Max protect, without pressure means more defenders in the short area. I know Canada seems to like to work short to deep, but this concept only gives you one shot. You can't wait for the drag to then determine if you go deep. The compounding issues is that Kenny is just pulling the trigger on the crosser after his read and the LB is running with him so it seems like he bails on the throw late.

Reasons I have taken some steps back on Kenny is while I understand the growth and learning curve of NFL speed and coverages, you don't get much more basic than this. 

Canada max protecting a 4 man rush, though. Gotta love the consistency he has with it.

4 minutes ago, jebrick said:

I am more worried now as someone i trust for QB evaluations says he is looking like Josh Rosen right now.  His words

I kinda disagree with that valuation of Rosen TBH.  Rosen was much worse than Pickett is right now.  Pickett looks to me like he isn’t trusting anything around him.  He’s not trusting the pocket to be there, not trusting the WR’s to be in the right spots, trying too hard to protect the ball.  

All in all I still look at treating this offseason like a team still on the cusp and looking for the best 2023 we can have; they should have seen it as rebuilding and acted accordingly.  If that means taking Kenny then great. But I also think that means ditching Canada, investing much more in the running game, and starting Kenny from day one.

19 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Just my observation, but Kenny has been very predetermined with where he wants to go with the football. He is going through the motions of looking off coverages, but it doesn't seem like he is actually reading anything. Has had a couple misses like this one where he is staring right at the area that should be telling him what to do, but he does something else. 

I’m really questioning how much of this is coaching.  If you look at my post on the Pickens ‘missed’ TD, I said a very similar thing on how the pick working should have told him ASAP where to go with the ball but he never adjusts off of it.  He knows where his guys should be but no one is teaching him how to read the defense to know where the ball goes.

I know this will draw some ire (from certain people who use this like a dog whistle), but I would like to hear that Tomlin is spending some one-on-one time with Pickett to talk him through what defenses are looking at here.

Stink pointed out a ‘good’ play design that was still bad.  Designed roll out where Kenny was given levels to read, not routes.  I am such a firm believer in you need that for a rookie to help them develop the ability to read a defense.  Give him 1/3 the field to worry about, but 3 options in it.  That play should have Warren 100% releasing short to hold the LB (that’s easy to tell is missing), Muth running a flatter route to get lower than Pickens, and Pickens bending the CB to the sideline to force the MOF safety to move.  Now - as much as Kennys decision making was bad here, I think it’s still fair to ask here who else didn’t do what they were supposed to in order to make that read easier.

14 minutes ago, warfelg said:

If you look at my post on the Pickens ‘missed’ TD, I said a very similar thing on how the pick working should have told him ASAP where to go with the ball but he never adjusts off of it.

I'm not sure what I think of that play yet. I don't doubt things are not being coached well (cough, Canada, cough), but that seems like another easy one that, for whatever reason, doesn't happen.

Based on the design and Kennys first look post-snap, they are attacking that MOF S and making him make a decision. DJ and Pickens with the same concept, whichever side he leans you go the opposite. He shifts to the 3 receiver side, this Ball should either be pegged right in between the 1-4 or laid in right over the R-G in the endzone. 

At the snap Kennys head looks left to the S, confirms his side and correctly goes right to Pickens - but never pulls the trigger. I don't know why. Maybe he did want to fire it in instead of layering it and felt that ILB was too close, but it's just odd when he is staring at the right thing, but not doing it. Could be 100% right that it's just coaching not telling him the right things, but he just seems to have such slow mental processing. Same thing I mentioned about his one pass completion to Freiermuth against the Eagles. Dude is wide open and took him an additional 2 second to throw it. 

Side note here: These are the clips I would be chopping up for Pickens for the summer. He needs to stay vertical and keep that defender on his back more so he can create more space late and give Kenny more room to lead him inside. Those are the little things that can turn Pickens into a monster. 

9 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Same thing I mentioned about his one pass completion to Freiermuth against the Eagles. Dude is wide open and took him an additional 2 second to throw it. 

This, along with the NFL open vs NCAA open is why I not out at the end of the season or even worried about replacing him. They are kinda typical rookie issues that pop up. He seems not ready to throw someone open yet because of early INTs and looks like he’s going “only my guy or no one” type finish but not giving his guy a chance. 

3 hours ago, August4th said:

wild to think the steelers would be like 5-4 with a healthy watt and Kayzee being a ball hawk type. I think we beat NE and NYJ with our normal level of pass rush.

what if we had Haley as OC or someone other than canada? what would the record be? Still not sure about the rushing attack and secondary at times, but would you improve on the 5-4?

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

what if we had Haley as OC or someone other than canada? what would the record be? Still not sure about the rushing attack and secondary at times, but would you improve on the 5-4?

still stick to 5-4, but with a better pt differential. I think we would be a weak 5-4 team tho. starting out 2-6 could end up as a blessing when it comes to the draft.

12 hours ago, 3rivers said:

Haley never did jack without elite talent.    Perhaps he would be better than Canada, but just barely.

Im honestly not sure where 5-4 is coming from.    By that very same logic, we could just as easily be 7-2.      There were only 2 games we weren't in it until the very end in.

Fortunately, it helped expose several major issues that hopefully wont be ignored.   I have a feeling we will play ourselves out of a blue chip player, but at least we should still be in position for a quality OL or DB prospect.

• Like 1