Jets benching QB Zach Wilson; to start Mike White versus Bears

RaidersAreOne

14 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Holy crap, I'm not even saying Zach is good, but you don't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to deduce that a defense has to respect a QB who can run and rollout more so than a QB who can't move laterally.

As much as you say it, "BUT LOL ZACH SUCKS" doesn't make Flacco any better.

And as much as you want to feel like Zach Wilson is better, he's just not statistically and I showed that. Yes, he can run, but he's not a dangerous runner and he hasn't ran for more than 26 yards in a single game. Yes, he can rollout, but he can't throw accurately on the move (or at all, really). So how exactly are those things bonuses?

So what exactly does he "open up", especially when he's averaging 27 passing attempts/game while Flacco was averaging 50 (LOL)? Seems like the Jets were opening up the offense with Flacco and deliberately shutting it down under Wilson.

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

And as much as you want to feel like Zach Wilson is better, he's just not statistically and I showed that. Yes, he can run, but he's not a dangerous runner and he hasn't ran for more than 26 yards in a single game. Yes, he can rollout, but he can't throw accurately on the move (or at all, really). So how exactly are those things bonuses?

So what exactly does he "open up", especially when he's averaging 27 passing attempts/game while Flacco was averaging 50 (LOL)? Seems like the Jets were opening up the offense with Flacco and deliberately shutting it down under Wilson.

The run game.

Zach's only redeeming quality was his ability to save us yards by escaping and throwing it away or escaping and making a big play (throwing on the run is his only strength).

Flacco had to throw 50 games because we were always down a million points after all his 3 and outs. Zach at least moved the chains and forced lbs to play off their heels. Again, not saying Zach was any good - but the offense as a whole was more productive against (similar yardage, more points) better defenses under Zach than Flacco (sans the last NE game).

28 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

The run game.

Zach's only redeeming quality was his ability to save us yards by escaping and throwing it away or escaping and making a big play (throwing on the run is his only strength).

Flacco had to throw 50 games because we were always down a million points after all his 3 and outs. Zach at least moved the chains and forced lbs to play off their heels. Again, not saying Zach was any good - but the offense as a whole was more productive against (similar yardage, more points) better defenses under Zach than Flacco (sans the last NE game).

3-and-outs implying that the Jets punted a ton under Flacco and not under Wilson.

Punts under Joe Flacco (3 games): 13 --> 4.3/game

Punts under Zach Wilson (7 games): 40 --> 5.7/game

Okay, so clearly they weren't punting more under Joe Flacco. Maybe they just weren't converting more 3rd downs under Joe Flacco?

3rd down conversions first 3 games: 17/47 --> 36%

3rd down conversions last 7 games: 28/92 --> 30%

Okay, so clearly they weren't punting more under Joe Flacco and they were converting more 3rd downs. Maybe Zach had more 1st downs and they just never got to 3rd down as much?!

1st downs first 3 games: 27/game

1st downs last 7 games: 17/game

Okay, so they weren't gaining more first downs under Wilson either, but maybe they were gaining more yards thus not needing to get more first downs!

Yards/game first 3 games: 370/game

Yards/game last 7 games: 272/game

When the same boss shows up more than once. - Imgflip

Edited by AFlaccoSeagulls
  • Like 8

2 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

Everyone's assumptions that it was Joe Flacco  (including mine) is funny right now.

Don't get the Mike White thing either. 🤷‍♂️

Flacco didn't really play well earlier this year. He was a statue and took a lot of sacks and his stats came in garbage time. Overall, he did play better than Wilson.

Flacco is a safe choice as he will play good enough to get us into the playoffs. But I really want to see Mike White get a chance over a few weeks. He doesn't have high upside. But I'm much more excited to watch him play than Joe Flacco as I think Mike White is as good could potentially be slightly better. Neither is the long-term answer, but there's a What If type of feel for Mike White. 

Best case for the Jets is Zach Wilson checks his ego, fixes his mechanics/footwork and learns to read defenses. Not sure if that's possible at this point. Jets are likely getting a top end veteran QB in the offseason.

3 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Lol I don’t know why some people think 20 starts is some small number. Ryan leaf got 21 and Jamarcus got 25. Some times a guy just doesn’t have it. 

This idea that everyone needs 3 full years to see if they are the guy is laughable and certainly not based on NFL history 

So generally, I would like to see 2 full seasons worth of games if not getting into year three. 

However, there are definitely extremes where you just know after something like 20 games that it's not there. I posted in the other thread about where he stands in terms of EPA / dropback over the last 20 years or so through 20 starts and the company he's keeping is pretty terrible. 

I don't know if that is really the case with Wilson or not. I'd hesitate to say that he's a bust so quickly, but there are definitely times where that is simply right. 

You can’t say what he did on the presser when your defense gives up 3 points and loses, when your HC is a defensive coach, and continue to play. I thought he was worthless in college quite frankly, but at least he’s worse than I thought he’d be in the NFL. 

6 hours ago, CP3MVP said:

Lol I don’t know why some people think 20 starts is some small number. Ryan leaf got 21 and Jamarcus got 25. Some times a guy just doesn’t have it. 

This idea that everyone needs 3 full years to see if they are the guy is laughable and certainly not based on NFL history 

None of those 20 games were good. It's not like he had 5 great starts and 15 terrible ones. There's been 0 good games

• Like 1