Jets benching QB Zach Wilson; to start Mike White versus Bears

RaidersAreOne

Lol I don’t know why some people think 20 starts is some small number. Ryan leaf got 21 and Jamarcus got 25. Some times a guy just doesn’t have it. 

This idea that everyone needs 3 full years to see if they are the guy is laughable and certainly not based on NFL history 

• Like 8

37 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

This reminds me a lot of the RG3 situation. My guess is Wilson is dealt away in the off-season. No way that locker room will accept him again. Its best for both parties to move on.

To me, it might actually feel a little more like Haskins, in terms of the timeline and the fact that there’s not really any period of success to this point. RG3 was a legitimate rookie of the year, terrific in year one, which made that situation something bordering on unique — maybe Vince Young, but even he wasn’t very good when he won ROY. 

Wilson and Haskins have now both been benched a few starts into year 2. They were both very poor for the most part, but they both also showed some flashes. I thought it was a bad idea when the WFT did it, and I think it’s a bad idea now. Coaches seem to have this concept that they’ll bench a kid who is a little cocky and too full of himself despite playing poorly, and somehow that will be the wakeup call that changes the course of his career. But it basically never happens like that. Bench a young QB and you’ve pretty much already lost him. 

Maybe they’ve seen enough to decide he’s never going to be The Guy™️. But this pretty much cements that he’s not going to be THEIR guy. That’s a pretty devastating development for a team that has gotten pretty good at a lot of spots — they’re now firmly in QB purgatory, and there’s very little escape from the clutches of that dreaded destination. As we in Washington know all too well. 

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He objectively was not:

Passing Advanced Passing
Rk Player Year QBrec Att Cmp% Y/A+ NY/A+ AY/A+ ANY/A+ Cmp%+ TD%+ Int%+ Sack%+ Rate+
1 Joe Flacco 2022 1-2-0 155 58.7 72 79 80 85 75 88 107 106 82
2 Zach Wilson 2022 5-2-0 189 55.6 93 89 86 85 63 76 92 91 74

Per-game:

Passing Rushing Receiving
Rk Player Year Cmp Att Yds TD Int Sk Yds Att Yds TD Rec Yds TD
1 Joe Flacco 2022 30.3 51.7 300.3 1.7 1.0 3.0 20.0 1.0 2.0 0.0 0.0 0.0 0.0
2 Zach Wilson 2022 15.0 27.0 182.7 0.6 0.7 2.3 17.7 3.4 13.4 0.1 0.1 0.3 0.1

I don't need to see numbers when I watch the games. Flacco is not good and doesn't open the offense as much as Zach does.

6 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

I don't need to see numbers when I watch the games. Flacco is not good and doesn't open the offense as much as Zach does.

"doesn't open the offense as much as Zach does"

I don't know how anyone can even say that sentence with a straight face, in front of the Mt. Rushmore of evidence to the contrary.

• Like 8

19 minutes ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

"doesn't open the offense as much as Zach does"

I don't know how anyone can even say that sentence with a straight face, in front of the Mt. Rushmore of evidence to the contrary.

Holy crap, I'm not even saying Zach is good, but you don't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to deduce that a defense has to respect a QB who can run and rollout more so than a QB who can't move laterally.

As much as you say it, "BUT LOL ZACH SUCKS" doesn't make Flacco any better.

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

Holy crap, I'm not even saying Zach is good, but you don't have to be a Sherlock Holmes to deduce that a defense has to respect a QB who can run and rollout more so than a QB who can't move laterally.

As much as you say it, "BUT LOL ZACH SUCKS" doesn't make Flacco any better.

Flacco, White, the popcorn vendor, whatever.

ANYONE would be an upgrade over Zach Wilson.

• Like 1