QB Talk Once Again.... sigh

JetsandI

Just now, Bobby816 said:

Pretty close to what I want. Issue only being is that after next year is when we have to decide on Wilson's 5th year option. So in your scenario we're picking up his option after this next season when his play to that date wasn't good and doesn't deserve that pay day. Or we're resigning him as a FA after the 2024 season. When if everything goes to plan. He hasn't seen a snap in 2 years really and now we'd be paying him good money?

In that scenario they would have two years to see him in practice and hopefully that's enough to decide.  Not losing sleep over Wilson getting another shot.  Draft a mid rounder 2024 sit a year and give them a shot then.  Unless there is a massive leap by Wilson it very well could be the end for him and that's ok.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KingOfNewYork said:

LOL this would be hilarious. The empty seats would set records. 

No they wouldn't.  There are too many die hard fans that will go.  Couple that with the cardboard cutouts Woody will make the stadium staff put out and the place will be rockin'.  Losing, but rockin'.

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Now they just need to sell out like LAR and NO did to cram as much talent on this team as possible in this 2-3 year window.  Get Rodgers and go for it.

As much as I want to get to the SB, I really fear a two year window without one that closes shut pretty quickly only to be "rebuilding" again in two years.  I'd much rather sustainability.  Unfortunately, you can only get that with a younger QB.  As much as I'd like to relive the 98 season or the two Rex seasons, the pain that followed is too much. 

1 hour ago, Bobby816 said:

Ya we shouldn't leave today without a deal. Don't let it go sour and him to start considering elsewhere. 

It won't be on the Jets if he walks out.  It will most likely be on Rodgers.  He is not a run-of-the-mill FA.

2 hours ago, TheGDJets said:

For the Rodgers trade, offer this years 2nd and a conditional pick in 2024. 4th round if we miss the playoffs, 3rd for making playoffs, or 1st for making SB. 

Yeah, I mean, that makes a ton of sense too. I think you have to slide it back though, 3rd no matter what. 2nd for playoff appearance. 1st for AFCCG appearance or better. These things are tricky though because what if the backup plays well and they get there any way? Regardless, I think the 3rd next year minimum is the worst possible deal GB would be willing to accept. Maybe a 2nd and 4th this year, or a pick swap somewhere else.

37 minutes ago, doumeyer said:

If these talks stall again, before Rodgers leaves NJ someone should drive him around the Meadowlands' I am sure he will sign in five minutes.

Umm...what?  Have you seen the place since you left?  In fact, I'd drive him around The Rail Riders Stadium in Scranton (Yanks AAA team) and tell him it was MetLife.

• Like 1

I think Rodgers will sign with the Jets and be a Jet for the next 3 years. This team will go deep with Rodgers for the next three years. He is not 1 and done. That would make ZERO sense for a QB at his level to play 1 year with a new team and leave. All the greats NEVER did this. If they did leave it was for another team like Favre. Rodgers wants a rin so bad and he will be in the AFCC game once or twice in those 3 years. Lock him in and I'm sorry but to see the Jets in the Super Bowl is worth throwing 2 or 3 years away. I want to see the Jets their PERIOD in my lifetime. I'm 44 and I'm running out of time at this rate. You have the window TAKE IT NOW!!! Draft a QB late this year and let them sit for 3 years behind Rodgers. 

26 minutes ago, jetfuel34 said:

I think Rodgers will sign with the Jets and be a Jet for the next 3 years. This team will go deep with Rodgers for the next three years. He is not 1 and done. That would make ZERO sense for a QB at his level to play 1 year with a new team and leave. All the greats NEVER did this. If they did leave it was for another team like Favre. Rodgers wants a rin so bad and he will be in the AFCC game once or twice in those 3 years. Lock him in and I'm sorry but to see the Jets in the Super Bowl is worth throwing 2 or 3 years away. I want to see the Jets their PERIOD in my lifetime. I'm 44 and I'm running out of time at this rate. You have the window TAKE IT NOW!!! Draft a QB late this year and let them sit for 3 years behind Rodgers. 

It's not a three year window. It could be. Realistically, it's one year with Saleh and Rogers. If they pull a Mangenius/Farve and start 9-3 and then finish 10-7 with a one and done, Rogers will retire or request another trade, and Saleh will be fired. If they make it to the CCG and lose, or lose a home game in the playoffs, it's tough to see Rogers coming back. You don't want to finish the career on a sour note, but he already has the past two seasons. There is only so much even a player of that caliber can take before hanging it up. The only scenario I can see him back is if it's an injury early in the year that's not career ending, and he comes back and plays well (team misses the playoffs). If he loses in the playoffs because he plays poorly, he will not be back. Nor should he. But it depends on how they lose that last game. Get to a SB then hand off the keys to Wilson next year is the ideal scenario. Rogers may give them a two year commitment, but that means one year in all practicality. 

Edited by WheatieMan

So basically it is going to come down to this: Packers ask for No. 13 overall in 2023; Jets counter with a 2024 first-rounder. 

Then they will iron out the rest. Add or subtract as needed. But that will be the negotiation sticking point, imo. 

I would give up 13 if we could also move some roster players in the deal, and maybe get back Green Bay's second or third. It would be nice to move the contracts of Zach Wilson, Corey Davis and/or Carl Lawson in this trade. The Packers might have some interest in any of those players. Never know. Definitely worth asking them.

6 minutes ago, WheatieMan said:

It's not a three year window. It could be. Realistically, it's one year with Saleh and Rogers. If they pull a Mangenius/Farve and start 9-3 and then finish 10-7 with a one and done, Rogers will retire or request another trade, and Saleh will be fired. If they make it to the CCG and lose, or lose a home game in the playoffs, it's tough to see Rogers coming back. You don't want to finish the career on a sour note, but he already has the past two seasons. There is only so much even a player of that caliber can take before hanging it up. The only scenario I can see him back is if it's an injury early in the year that's not career ending, and he comes back and plays well (team misses the playoffs). If he loses in the playoffs because he plays poorly, he will not be back. Nor should he. But it depends on how they lose that last game. Get to a SB then hand off the keys to Wilson next year is the ideal scenario. Rogers may give them a two year commitment, but that means one year in all practicality. 

I think veteran athletes who have been in the same place for as long as Rodgers has sometimes get revitalized by going to a new environment. 

This situation is almost identical to Patrick Kane with the Rangers. I think if Rodgers decides to come to New York, I think he will be with us for at least two seasons. Maybe more.

2 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

So basically it is going to come down to this: Packers ask for No. 13 overall in 2023; Jets counter with a 2024 first-rounder. 

Then they will iron out the rest. Add or subtract as needed. But that will be the negotiation sticking point, imo. 

I would give up 13 if we could also move some roster players in the deal, and maybe get back Green Bay's second or third. It would be nice to move the contracts of Zach Wilson, Corey Davis and/or Carl Lawson in this trade. The Packers might have some interest in any of those players. Never know. Definitely worth asking them.

Or we've already to a trade with GB and that's why they're letting him talk to us. It's a matter if we can sell what our plans are for this season and next season to Rodgers as a SB contender. This is where Rodgers will want to know if we plan on bringing in another WR that's great like a Hopkins or Evans. Maybe even Lazard. Can we cut Berrios and bring in Cobb for him. OL plans. etc.

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, xrade said:

As much as I want to get to the SB, I really fear a two year window without one that closes shut pretty quickly only to be "rebuilding" again in two years.  I'd much rather sustainability.  Unfortunately, you can only get that with a younger QB.  As much as I'd like to relive the 98 season or the two Rex seasons, the pain that followed is too much. 

Rebuilding doesn't need to be a decade if you hit on the QB.  The Idzik / Mac years were killers.