• Tankathon interests
    • Picketts small hands
    • The ageless Matty ice
    • Jeff Saturday being the best coach ever
    • One of these teams could start a run
    • A perfect game for a tie
    • Crapposting in GEN

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

The biggest takeaway from this game is that the Seahawks' pick from the Broncos stays in the top 5 thanks to the Steelers win :) 

Pete Carroll looks like a genius. Team is doing well, Top 5 pick, Geno playing better than Russ. It really does seem like Pete played to Russ’s strengths and masked his flaws for 9 years. We all thought Pete was the problem… but he was the puppet master. Russell Wilson, a guy you defended for years. 

Still possible Wilson bounces back next year after Hackett’s firing and becomes a very good QB again. But my god he has been terrible… Bottom 6-8 Starter this year no question. 

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Pete Carroll looks like a genius. Team is doing well, Top 5 pick, Geno playing better than Russ. It really does seem like Pete played to Russ’s strengths and masked his flaws for 9 years. We all thought Pete was the problem… but he was the puppet master. Russell Wilson, a guy you defended for years. 

Still possible Wilson bounces back next year after Hackett’s firing and becomes a very good QB again. But my god he has been terrible… Bottom 6-8 Starter this year no question. 

More revisionist history from the reactionaries on this board.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, ThatJaxxenGuy said:

Hey now, some of us had been calling Russ over rated for years now 

Yup. 

It's strange. Some of us have talked for years about how his off script, run around the backfield and "cook", every big play begets several boneheaded ones, hero ball was going to catch up to him and he'd fall off. It's not as though everyone criticizing him is just now jumping  on the Russell Wilson hate bandwagon. 

A great HC and defense can mask it and it can work wonders. And when it works, it's great to watch. Take away the great coaching and game planning, and you get what we see now. Sure, there are other factors at play too, but plenty of people have been calling it for a few years now. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

Yup. 

It's strange. Some of us have talked for years about how his off script, run around the backfield and "cook", every big play begets several boneheaded ones, hero ball was going to catch up to him and he'd fall off. It's not as though everyone criticizing him is just now jumping  on the Russell Wilson hate bandwagon. 

A great HC and defense can mask it and it can work wonders. And when it works, it's great to watch. Take away the great coaching and game planning, and you get what we see now. Sure, there are other factors at play too, but plenty of people have been calling it for a few years now. 

There's a gulf of difference between "Russell Wilson was a system QB propped up by Pete Carroll" and "Russell Wilson's style of play isn't sustainable into his later years." You and the other poster made the former claim. The latter claim is actually justifiable.

And it's ridiculous to say that a great defense is what allowed Wilson to succeed in Seattle. The last time the Seahawks had a top 10 defense was 2016. Wilson carried that team for years. It was Russell Wilson who saved Pete Carroll, not the other way around.

Hat's off to Carroll and Shane Waldron for getting some randomly great year out of Geno Smith. But the Seahawks are still only 6-5 despite playing a weak schedule, and their defense is ranked near the bottom of the NFL (which is supposed to be Carroll's specialty).

• Like 3

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

There's a gulf of difference between "Russell Wilson was a system QB propped up by Pete Carroll" and "Russell Wilson's style of play isn't sustainable into his later years." You and the other poster made the former claim. The latter claim is actually justifiable.

And it's ridiculous to say that a great defense is what allowed Wilson to succeed in Seattle. The last time the Seahawks had a top 10 defense was 2016. Wilson carried that team for years. It was Russell Wilson who saved Pete Carroll, not the other way around.

Hat's off to Carroll and Shane Waldron for getting some randomly great year out of Geno Smith. But the Seahawks are still only 6-5 despite playing a weak schedule, and their defense is ranked near the bottom of the NFL (which is supposed to be Carroll's specialty).

I, and others, have also made the latter claim for, well, years buddy. Been saying it. That's kind of the point. In case you missed it. 

But do go on...

Pray tell how "It's possible to be a system QB and not be Hasselbeck, Clipboard Jesus, Travarivs Jackson bad" magically translates into only "The only thing ever said about Russell Wilson is that Pete Carroll is the only single, sole, individual reason he was ever good and his absence from Wilson's sideline is the only factor in Wilson sucking now, and I've never once said anything otherwise". The Office Smile GIF

Or you could move onto a different hill to die on, because this is practically a Little Big Horn moment and you're looking mighty silly with such broad accusations and/or ill-informed presumptions. 

Edited by ronjon1990
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, ronjon1990 said:

I, and others, have also made the latter claim for, well, years buddy. Been saying it. That's kind of the point. In case you missed it. 

But do go on...

Pray tell how "It's possible to be a system QB and not be Hasselbeck, Clipboard Jesus, Travarivs Jackson bad" magically translates into only "The only thing ever said about Russell Wilson is that Pete Carroll is the only single, sole, individual reason he was ever good and his absence from Wilson's sideline is the only factor in Wilson sucking now, and I've never once said anything otherwise". 

Or you could move onto a different hill to die on, because this is practically a Little Big Horn moment and you're looking mighty silly with such broad accusations and/or ill-informed presumptions. 

The only person dying on a hill is the guy claiming that a future HOF QB was a "system QB" propped up by his defensive-oriented HC. But continue doubling down on your football-illiterate stance.

18 minutes ago, jrry32 said:

The only person dying on a hill is the guy claiming that a future HOF QB was a "system QB" propped up by his defensive-oriented HC. But continue doubling down on your football-illiterate stance.

Lol ok. You're clearly just generally illiterate if that's what you took from all commentary. 

We're done here. I've seen better effort from a flaccid Vermeil. 

10 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I think it's a little more nuanced than you're putting it, but there's a lot of things Russ did that held the offense back that Geno is doing well that's allowing them to flourish this year. That, and Russell's actual strengths appear to have completely diminished in Denver under a new system.

Still, the Seahawks are an awful running team and have a horrible defense. The only thing that's saving them right now is Geno Smith and Shane Waldron.

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I think it's a little more nuanced than you're putting it, but there's a lot of things Russ did that held the offense back that Geno is doing well that's allowing them to flourish this year. That, and Russell's actual strengths appear to have completely diminished in Denver under a new system.

Still, the Seahawks are an awful running team and have a horrible defense. The only thing that's saving them right now is Geno Smith and Shane Waldron.

I agree with most of this, but the bolded is just wrong. The Seahawks are 16th in total rush yards, 8th in rush y/a, and 23rd in rush attempts. They are middle of the road in rush yards because Waldron doesn't call enough running plays.

• Like 1