Raiders Fire Ken Norton Jr.

MrOaktown_56

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

What? Have you watched Ken Norton Jr. over the past couple years? Dude wouldn't know what an adjustment was to save his life nor any x's or o's.

Ehhh...I'm not saying he's the greatest of all time, or anything. Just that he knows his ****, and has had success in the past. Both the Norton firing and the McCoy firing strike me as worthless panic moves. I'd be willing to bet no great improvement comes out of either move. 

3 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Ehhh...I'm not saying he's the greatest of all time, or anything. Just that he knows his ****, and has had success in the past. Both the Norton firing and the McCoy firing strike me as worthless panic moves. I'd be willing to bet no great improvement comes out of either move. 

As what?  A LB coach?  With Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright and Bruce Irvin. Dude is horrid.  Goodbye.

What annoys me about this is the fact that, if the Raiders had a winning record, he wouldnt have been fired, even if he was still just as bad.

Now you may ask, why would that annoy me because Im not a Raiders fan and it doesnt affect me?   Well, because Todd Haley is probably just as bad of a coordinator as this guy, but he will keep his job because we have a winning record and because the immense talent on offense makes him look better than he is.   Oh, and because it takes alot of ineptitude to get fired here.....and because his daddy has ties to Pittsburgh.

10 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

McCoy, probably. Norton, nah, he was pretty awful.

1 hour ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is JDR involved alot with the defense? He was pretty great for us there but not sure if he has his hand in it much

Nobody is really sure what JDR is involved with.

Honestly, it would probably look better for him if he wasn't involved in the Raiders defense the past couple of years.

Good news on Norton, though. The guy just doesn't have a clue. I don't think it'll particularly make a great deal of difference, as the defense is basically Khalil Mack and a bunch of nothing. But it was a change that needed to be made even just to try and ignite something. Zero interceptions in ten games is inexcusably bad.

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Is JDR involved alot with the defense? He was pretty great for us there but not sure if he has his hand in it much

Im sure his fingers are all over the defense. Theres no way hed just stay in the corner while the defense continuous to crap the bed every year.

17 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

As what?  A LB coach?  With Bobby Wagner, KJ Wright and Bruce Irvin. Dude is horrid.  Goodbye.

Strikes me as a pretty obnoxious and needlessly dismissive comment for a moderator to make. Goodbye. 

10 hours ago, TheKillerNacho said:

McCoy, probably. Norton, nah, he was pretty awful.

It sure looked to me like they were building something last year, and I did, in fact, watch a handful of their games. But there simply isn't enough talent on that side of the ball, and the team underperforming in general has to go right to the top--JDR. 

37 minutes ago, Heinz D. said:

Strikes me as a pretty obnoxious and needlessly dismissive comment for a moderator to make. Goodbye. 

It sure looked to me like they were building something last year, and I did, in fact, watch a handful of their games. But there simply isn't enough talent on that side of the ball, and the team underperforming in general has to go right to the top--JDR. 

Uh, what? They were bottom-10 in almost every relevant defensive category last season. And they do have some talent on that side of the ball ... granted, they aren't extremely talented but every time I watched the Raiders it seemed like their defense was simply out-coached and unprepared. Norton may not have been the only problem, but he was definitely a problem imo.

Just now, TheKillerNacho said:

Uh, what? They were bottom-10 in almost every relevant defensive category last season. And they do have some talent on that side of the ball ... granted, they aren't extremely talented but every time I watched the Raiders it seemed like their defense was simply out-coached and unprepared. Norton may not have been the only problem, but he was definitely a problem imo.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. The underperforming this year is team-wide, though. Thanks for disagreeing with me without being obnoxious and needlessly dismissive. :)

23 hours ago, lancerman said:

"I've had some success against Brady"- 

-Ken Norton Jr.

Never forget

Some is a very subjective word.

In 2009 Brady threw for 380 yards, 6 TDs, 5 coming in one quarter against the Titans. He left after one drive into the 3rd. But there was a few incompletions, so TEN had "some" success, right?

4 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

Ummm.  No.  The Goodbye was directed at Norton.  The point was he was able to shine in a role where he was working with cream of the crop talent.  Our talent on defense could certainly stand to be improved upon.  But week in and week out we're getting carved up.  Nearly every week for the past 2 and a half years opposing offensive coordinators have coached circles around whoever is running our defense.  I'm interested to see what changes when Pagano takes over to see how involved JDR is in our defense.  Because I'm pretty ready to throw him out the door too.

Archived