Week 15 Gameday Thread (Buck/Aikman Edition) - Green Bay Packers (5-8-0) vs. LA/St. Louis/LA Rams (4-9-0)

Striker

On 12/19/2022 at 11:02 PM, squire12 said:

so you crapped on Watson for supposed injuries, yet would have been fine with Pickens and his injury history?

takes 2 to tango and come to GB to play.  

the lack of offensive consistency is a multifactorial issue that is probably not solved with a Rookie "pro ready" WR

We didn’t have a pick where a healthy WR1 with a clean bill of health would be available. Pickens was ready for TC for sure and his body type is more Rodgers wanted Olave bad for good reason. He knew Olave was a day 1 starter. But there was never a way Olave was making it to 22, and Pickens’ inability to wear a seat belt was also ugly for a player you’d want to draft in the first round. Less ugly if he’s your second or third pick. And he’s been a little whacky in Pittsburgh but he’s also looked ready from day 1. I’m content with Walker-Wyatt-Watson right now.

Re: Free Agent WR1s—they could’ve gone another degree into borrowing from the future to pay someone better or at least healthier than Sammy Watkins. Could’ve traded for a guy. Any WR in the league should’ve seen how hard Aaron could force feed a true WR1 after Adams. We had 125 targets from an MVP QB to offer.

This entire season is still like 85% Joe Barry and Amari Rodgers’ fault anyway. But on offense it’s pretty much the passing game consisting of Rodgers and his options literally and figuratively collectively dropping the ball. Mix in the OL struggles putting us behind the sticks and then getting too many sacks period both from coverage and poor play from both the interior and edge. You already know there were coaching changes up front which means changes and growing pains. Bakhtiari and Jenkins aren’t the dominant forces prior to injury. Offense finally taking form in November and definitely December. Just didn’t have enough talent available on offense to keep us afloat with Amari Rodgers back there and Joe Barry’s Charmin soft zone defense.

22 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

We didn’t have a pick where a healthy WR1 with a clean bill of health would be available. Pickens was ready for TC for sure and his body type is more Rodgers wanted Olave bad for good reason. He knew Olave was a day 1 starter. But there was never a way Olave was making it to 22, and Pickens’ inability to wear a seat belt was also ugly for a player you’d want to draft in the first round. Less ugly if he’s your second or third pick. And he’s been a little whacky in Pittsburgh but he’s also looked ready from day 1. I’m content with Walker-Wyatt-Watson right now.

So you were fine with Pickens injury history vs Watson's.   Seems inconsistent, but whatever

22 minutes ago, ChaRisMa said:

Re: Free Agent WR1s—they could’ve gone another degree into borrowing from the future to pay someone better or at least healthier than Sammy Watkins. Could’ve traded for a guy. Any WR in the league should’ve seen how hard Aaron could force feed a true WR1 after Adams. We had 125 targets from an MVP QB to offer.

what WR in FA?  Kirk, Chark, Julio?   I am not seeing a reasonably priced productive WR that didn't have questions 

EDIT:   here, i did the leg work for you and grabbed the WR FA from 2022

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/wide-receiver//

what WR were better options are a reasonable price vs Watkins?

Edited by squire12

2 hours ago, squire12 said:

So you were fine with Pickens injury history vs Watson's.   Seems inconsistent, but whatever

what WR in FA?  Kirk, Chark, Julio?   I am not seeing a reasonably priced productive WR that didn't have questions 

Woulda been sweet to get Henry Riggs. LMAO

Kirk a slot can’t pay him WR1. Chark a body catcher no thanks. Julio would’ve been attractive if he still had the deep speed.

Agree that was a big part of the problem from the onset of the offseason and I’ll tell you my honest thoughts as the offseason went on. As soon as the “Adams Bomb” went off (I hope you guys used that at the time) my google search bar read “Spotrac-2022 Free Agent WR”. And I realized why we got a 1st and 2nd for a guy that wanted out of town. Baron WR market. Most of its dog crap rolled in cat crap. Adams got 30? Mil. I wanted MVS back for I believe 7. Because then we at least had a threat over the top and could take the pressure off attempting to replace Adams with any rookie. There’s nothing you can do to avoid a drop off from replacing NFL WR1. We had to change the offense to our strength at RB. More Dillon. Tonyan  of that. The coaches needed to shoulder some of that change schematically. Rodgers has seemed more willing to go out of his way to break the rookie WRs in by getting them the ball on RPOs but it didn’t go well and that’s clashed with MLFs playcall flow.

After MVS, I thought JuJu was going to be around 10 Mil a year being only as old as most players coming out of their first contract. I was stunned when he opted for Watkins money but not that it was a 1 year deal with Mahomes to boost his stock. Obviously ARobinson but we can’t even make that cap space responsibly. Knew Jarvis Landry had shown the ability to be a WR1 in a previous life but Cleveland and injuries might’ve held him back and perhaps he’d be willing to be around 10 million for 1 year of the same JuJu idea of “let’s inflate your clients numbers this year and he can get paid big time next offseason possibly even here (but most likely Aaron retires and the guy we drafted is ready then).” He signs back into the Louisiana Dumpsterfire Sean Payton leaves behind where he played college ball to catch balls which crab leg residue on them from a Red Ryder BB gun next to the most annoying story of Mike McCarthy’s final days, Taysom “Payton’s Overpriced Toy” Hill. Of course he gets injured, he’s a third contract player but he’s produced some and he runs a full route tree. Also opened to a lot of fantasies about signing Odell Beckham Jr. if he even gets healthy and wants to ball for his brand in the playoffs across from Landry. Marquis’s Goodwin ran MVS’ role for Shanahan in SF so that was my worst player I was considering from that class of Free Agents. James Washington was attractive going deep coming out. I was glad to settle for Sammy Watkins when that happened because it was another “out” in baseball terms. Maybe Cobb gets hurt as we expect, Watkins would be another veteran guy we could turn to that moves the chains, ran a decent route, survive with, but he’d miss time. Platoon the job until a rookie wall gets broken. Seems like we didn’t really have a role for a him or he’s done—never seemingly connecting with 12 either because of the injury and dare I say lack of live game action prior to the emergence of the desire to move off of him. Clearly they would like to give those reps to the future. Sammy is a vested veteran, he’s not losing a dime being cut. 

edit: laughed so loud at your edit being spot on with my original google search my dogs woke up.

Edited by ChaRisMa

6 hours ago, ChaRisMa said:

Woulda been sweet to get Henry Riggs. LMAO

Kirk a slot can’t pay him WR1. Chark a body catcher no thanks. Julio would’ve been attractive if he still had the deep speed.

Agree that was a big part of the problem from the onset of the offseason and I’ll tell you my honest thoughts as the offseason went on. As soon as the “Adams Bomb” went off (I hope you guys used that at the time) my google search bar read “Spotrac-2022 Free Agent WR”. And I realized why we got a 1st and 2nd for a guy that wanted out of town. Baron WR market. Most of its dog crap rolled in cat crap. Adams got 30? Mil. I wanted MVS back for I believe 7. Because then we at least had a threat over the top and could take the pressure off attempting to replace Adams with any rookie. There’s nothing you can do to avoid a drop off from replacing NFL WR1. We had to change the offense to our strength at RB. More Dillon. Tonyan  of that. The coaches needed to shoulder some of that change schematically. Rodgers has seemed more willing to go out of his way to break the rookie WRs in by getting them the ball on RPOs but it didn’t go well and that’s clashed with MLFs playcall flow.

After MVS, I thought JuJu was going to be around 10 Mil a year being only as old as most players coming out of their first contract. I was stunned when he opted for Watkins money but not that it was a 1 year deal with Mahomes to boost his stock. Obviously ARobinson but we can’t even make that cap space responsibly. Knew Jarvis Landry had shown the ability to be a WR1 in a previous life but Cleveland and injuries might’ve held him back and perhaps he’d be willing to be around 10 million for 1 year of the same JuJu idea of “let’s inflate your clients numbers this year and he can get paid big time next offseason possibly even here (but most likely Aaron retires and the guy we drafted is ready then).” He signs back into the Louisiana Dumpsterfire Sean Payton leaves behind where he played college ball to catch balls which crab leg residue on them from a Red Ryder BB gun next to the most annoying story of Mike McCarthy’s final days, Taysom “Payton’s Overpriced Toy” Hill. Of course he gets injured, he’s a third contract player but he’s produced some and he runs a full route tree. Also opened to a lot of fantasies about signing Odell Beckham Jr. if he even gets healthy and wants to ball for his brand in the playoffs across from Landry. Marquis’s Goodwin ran MVS’ role for Shanahan in SF so that was my worst player I was considering from that class of Free Agents. James Washington was attractive going deep coming out. I was glad to settle for Sammy Watkins when that happened because it was another “out” in baseball terms. Maybe Cobb gets hurt as we expect, Watkins would be another veteran guy we could turn to that moves the chains, ran a decent route, survive with, but he’d miss time. Platoon the job until a rookie wall gets broken. Seems like we didn’t really have a role for a him or he’s done—never seemingly connecting with 12 either because of the injury and dare I say lack of live game action prior to the emergence of the desire to move off of him. Clearly they would like to give those reps to the future. Sammy is a vested veteran, he’s not losing a dime being cut. 

edit: laughed so loud at your edit being spot on with my original google search my dogs woke up.

So you wanted something better in FA at WR that didn’t exist.  

11 hours ago, squire12 said:

EDIT:   here, i did the leg work for you and grabbed the WR FA from 2022

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/2022/all/wide-receiver//

what WR were better options are a reasonable price vs Watkins?

Jarvis Landry

12 hours ago, squire12 said:

So you wanted something better in FA at WR that didn’t exist.  

Well yeah that’s the conclusion you come to while accepting that’s not an option and move to trade options. Which is always only a 5% chance of happening even when conditions are right.

But the loss of Adams and MVS means you have no vertical threat, nor a possession WR1 to move the chains. So you need two guys or one who can do the both because no one is figuring out on Saturday how to keep any of our WRs in check.

You hope Sammy fills some of the void on Adams end. Cobb was expected to provide more in an attempt to keep his career alive.

Gute had plenty of ammo to move wherever he wanted to select a WR. But we weren’t about to trade into the top 10 and it does take two to deal. So I give Gute the benefit of the doubt on being unable to find a partner. Pick 22 rolls in and no WR was value. We knew that could be the case. Teams DO mock draft to see how maybe the draft could play out. Test the depth of the class against at least the perceived needs of teams. It’s not like they are ignorant of other teams players. They have scouts specifically looking up and down every NFL roster year round. That had to of been a possibility they considered—what do we do if 6 WRs are taken before pick 22? Who do we take if essentially all the 1st round talent is gone before our first pick? Because you need an immediate impact player there. With the draft falling as it did, I understood waiting.

You have to take a risk then. But it has to be a measured risk with factors that lead you to believe it can pay off. Rookie WRs generally don’t make an impact. But we needed one to because the NFL is hard and we had to operate as if Rodgers is retiring next year. Why on earth you’d think Watson was that guy beyond taking care of MVS’ role this year is beyond me. I want to live in fantasy world where players like Amari Rodgers are going to figure it out because they are hard workers despite all evidence pointing to that not being a good bet. Could’ve double dipped at the position instead in rd 2 and had more options or if you do draft up, get Aaron immediate help, draft an SEC guy. So frustrating watching rookies be put in positions they aren’t ready for.

7 hours ago, squire12 said:

so you were pushing for Jarvis Landry to be a FA WR addition this past off season?

No I did not at the time.  But just looking at the production today -and not the cost - between Landry and Watkins it appears we signed the wrong guy.