QB Jimmy Garoppolo Out For Season With a Broken Foot

J-ALL-DAY

11 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

If he was any good, he might have already been on a good roster. 

Ugh, gotta bring up details.

Do we want Baker in the building chewing the kid's ear off, do we think we can get him to chill for a while?  Is his upside worth it?  WOuld he be an upgrade at some point?  Dammit I have to go to work I can't research the questions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Ugh, gotta bring up details.

Do we want Baker in the building chewing the kid's ear off, do we think we can get him to chill for a while?  Is his upside worth it?  WOuld he be an upgrade at some point?  Dammit I have to go to work I can't research the questions.

He has playoff experience after helping Browns to 11-5. Best Browns QB in last 32 years--since Kosar! Josh Johnson cannot say anything like it.

1 minute ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

He also doesn't know the system, so he would come in as a back up.  Would he be able to he a studious, supportive back up?  

Please note that I did not say he was a better choice than Purdy: I said he was a better choice than JJ. Of course he would be a back up. Has he been one before and had to earn his start? Yes. He has had to work for everything he has ever earned.

• Like 1

A few things of note for me. 

The season isn't over. It just got increasingly more difficult to have the expectation of a deep playoff run. Purdy appears to process well. He also opens up the play action from under C, which is a staple of the Shanahan offense. Purdy can play. How well after a week of a team game planning for him is the question. The defense is elite, the offense has elite playmakers. Be efficient and convert on 3rd downs and dont turn the ball over. If he can make the 2-4 plays a game a QB has to make, either off schedule or explosive they can still make a run. 

Baker to me is an extremely intriguing option. He clearly has arm talent and he has shown an ability to succeed. He would need to come in with the understanding that he is the backup and he needs to get up to speed and do his job. It's that or go hang out on the unemployment line. I just dont see any other teams taking a chance at this point that are not in desperate need. The situation is ideal for him. Elite playmakers, elite defense, just would need to control himself when/if called upon. I have zero fear of his impact on Purdy because the leadership on the team is so solid. 

This also ends any chance of Jimmy returning to the team imo. You cannot put any reliance on JG staying healthy over the course of a season. He seemed to lose any mobility he had after the ACL and this would be the third lower leg injury for him over a 5 year period. It is no longer feasible to expect him to start and stay healthy.

• Like 4

I was pretty busy goofing about Purdy, though I'm open to him turning into a good QB1 someday.

No idea. Don't care about prediction trophies for E-clout. 

Same goes for Mayfield and even Lance, for that matter. I do like the moxie and athleticism that Baker can offer. 

I like Jimmy, but oddly enough, I found the Miami game more exciting than any other this season. What a story it could be for Mr. Irrelevant to become something substantial, and he has some swag to do it, if the OL can be even mediocre. Does he have the arm, smarts, and ethic? 

dunno.. but it's a fun journey, for now. 

• Like 9

5 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I was pretty busy goofing about Purdy, though I'm open to him turning into a good QB1 someday.

Same goes for Mayfield and even Lance, for that matter. I do like the moxie and athleticism that Baker can offer. 

I like Jimmy, but oddly enough, I found the Miami game more exciting than any other this season. What a story it could be for Mr. Irrelevant to become something substantial, and he has some swag to do it, if the OL can be even mediocre. Does he have the arm, smarts, and ethic? 

It would make a great story, if Brock turns into something. And I definitely would not mind bringing in Baker at all. If Purdy gets hurt, then we have a guy who's been to the playoffs before. And that would be another story, if Baker some how revived his career here. Then next year they can all compete for the starting role. I am against handing it to Trey, unless he can beat out the other guys for it.

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

yup. this was pretty easily th r most entertaining 49er game so far. incredible story

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

He also doesn't know the system, so he would come in as a back up.  Would he be able to he a studious, supportive back up?  

Our most prominent Panthers fan here had nothing but praise regarding him in terms of being a good teammate. Never complained while he was a Panther, even when he got benched, and got along  great with everyone. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

Our most prominent Panthers fan here had nothing but praise regarding him in terms of being a good teammate. Never complained while he was a Panther, even when he got benched, and got along  great with everyone. 

Nice, hopefully Levi's stadium has a room available for him.  I think it could work.  Baker has the skill set to make quick decisions and excel in Shanahan's system.  If he falls to 25 in the waivers I think the team should take a swing.

Maybe even consider keeping 3 qb's on the 53.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steve_DeBerg_Fan_420 said:

Maybe even consider keeping 3 qb's on the 53.

We would have to, as Josh Johnson is required to be on our active roster for 3 games since he was signed off of another teams practice squad. 

Elijah Mitchell went on IR and the team did not sign anyone to fill that roster spot. So with Jimmy going on IR, we should have enough room for 3 QBs without needing to cut anyone. 

I personally am not going to rule out Trey Lance coming back. Wildcard weekend is 1/15. That is a long ways away. 

Imagine if this team was 9-2 and had a shot at the #1 seed... First playoff game could have been 1/22. I'd hope Trey was ready by then.