Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

3 hours ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I'm going to hold out hope that the Packers are playing a PR war, while also wanting to keep their trade value at optimal level.  Other teams have to think they want him back to get the kind of return they want.  Once the Packers publically come out and say they want to go with Love then you are talking about a fire sale with Rodgers.  I think Aaron will see the writing on the wall in GB and help facilitate a trade.  In the end it will be a mutual parting of the ways.

Pretty much.  There's no real reason for Green Bay to publicly announce they want to move on from Aaron Rodgers.

3 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Didn't they turn down a FRP for Moore last year? 

There is no way someone is going to give you that for a guy who played 1/2 of one game last year. Jordan Love is more valuable to the Packers than anybody else. They know what they have or do not have in him. 

NO team is going to give up that much value on a guy in his 4th year who is an unknown. 

Well a 1st is basically equal to 2 2nds,  so they would be valuing Love as a 2nd essentially.

and if they miss out on Stroud, Levi’s, Richardson and Young, and say draft Bijan, it would be a good move for them….they could restock their WR corps with their 2nds for cheap.

Anyway it was a Panther fan trade idea,not mine…

Edited by fattlipp

On 2/23/2023 at 10:38 AM, Packerraymond said:

Adams I put on Rodgers, if he was committed to the organization after 2021, we would've given Adams a deal, his holdout caused us to delay that.

Didn't Adams still leave after knowing Rodgers signed an extension?

23 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

He wanted to leave after spending an entire off-season being told he wasn't going to get paid what he wanted, then following off-season suddenly he was worth what he wanted....

Didn't we offer him MORE than he got from the Raiders?  If so it wasn't money that enticed him to go.  I believe he wanted to be closer to family and catch passes from his collegiate buddy.  Now his buddy has moved on.  You have to wonder if Adams now has any regrets...

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Sandy said:

Rodgers gets $49m in cash that day, but his cap hit will only be $40.7m. Still, I agree that the $60m hit between the two is ridiculous.

But if you're Jordan Love, you demand a trade regardless. You've proven you deserve a chance to start.

How has Love proven he deserves a chance to start?  I'm not being snarky here - I truly want to know what Love has shown that will entice other GMs.

• Like 1

I have to believe the Packers have talked to the Jets about Rodgers and maybe nothing comes of it, but you don't bring Derek Carr in and tell him he could be a HOF QB in NY, and let him walk out the door.

I dont think the Jets do that unless there is something there in getting Rodgers.  It may be a 10% chance of happening at this point, but I believe the Packers and Jets have probably had conversations.  How far those have gotten is anyone's guess, but I dont think the Jets are waiting just for the hell of it.  There might be something there for them to wait for depending on what Rodgers wants to do.

Edited by NFLGURU

13 minutes ago, Pugger said:

Didn't Adams still leave after knowing Rodgers signed an extension?

I think Adams left first, but the big issue was Adams not knowing how long Rodgers would play. I wouldn't want to sign a 5 year deal, Rodgers leaves after a year and I'm stuck in Green Bay with a mystery QB for 4 years.  

Turns out the Carr thing didn't work out either.

15 minutes ago, Pugger said:

How has Love proven he deserves a chance to start?  I'm not being snarky here - I truly want to know what Love has shown that will entice other GMs.

It's a culmination. He was a late first round talent who has been coached up for three years, and the growth is evident in the playing time he has seen. This year in preseason and in his limited game action, he looked the part of a legitimate NFL starting QB. 

Throw in the fact that this is a terrible rookie QB draft class, which is following up last year's terrible rookie QB draft class, and I imagine we can yield a package worth a mid-first rounder, even with him only having one more year under contract.

Let's say you're the Panthers sitting with a few spare picks this season. Do you want to take Anthony Richardson at 9 and be stuck with him for at least a couple years, or trade for Love, find out if he has the goods or not this year knowing that if he doesn't you can go back next year when it's a much better QB draft class?

2 hours ago, Sandy said:

It's a culmination. He was a late first round talent who has been coached up for three years, and the growth is evident in the playing time he has seen. This year in preseason and in his limited game action, he looked the part of a legitimate NFL starting QB. 

Throw in the fact that this is a terrible rookie QB draft class, which is following up last year's terrible rookie QB draft class, and I imagine we can yield a package worth a mid-first rounder, even with him only having one more year under contract.

Let's say you're the Panthers sitting with a few spare picks this season. Do you want to take Anthony Richardson at 9 and be stuck with him for at least a couple years, or trade for Love, find out if he has the goods or not this year knowing that if he doesn't you can go back next year when it's a much better QB draft class?

I agree, Love would probably be the 2nd rated QB in this draft behind either Young or Levis depending on your type. Love is only 6 months older than Levis

I think we could definitely get an early 2nd or even a late first.

Edited by fattlipp
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, fattlipp said:

I agree, Love would probably be the 2nd rated QB in this draft behind either Young or Levis depending on your type. Love is only 6 months older than Levis

I think we could definitely get an early 2nd or even a late first.

Boy do I hate the idea if investing a 1st and a 4th and three years of development in 24 year old Love, only to trade him away in favor of a soon to be 40 year old qb coming off of his worst season a professional.  The whole idea seems insane.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Boy do I hate the idea if investing a 1st and a 4th and three years of development in 24 year old Love, only to trade him away in favor of a soon to be 40 year old qb coming off of his worst season a professional.  The whole idea seems insane.

Agree but hard to keep both,   Give Love his 5th year, and ARod pulls the same **** next year and then what, extend Love having never played?

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Depends on Loves value to the Packers.  Lots of first rd QBs don't pan out.  Trubisky, Rosen, Darnold, Mariota, Lance were all taken with high first round picks, and some cost teams several first rd picks.   It's a crapshoot with these QBs, and giving up what the Packers did was worth the risk.  Love may not work out, you move on, you took a shot and it didn't work.   Let it play out and let's see what happens.

• Like 1

I'm of the assumption that the more time that passes after Rodgers darkness retreat that we haven't heard anything, the more likely it is that he's going to be traded, then it is that he's retiring or staying a Packer. With that said, I just hope that if he IS traded that it's with an emphasis on the 2024 Draft Picks and not the 2023 Draft Picks (Probably in the Minority here) but I think that puts us in a better position then the 13th pick or the 7th pick (Doubt we get that in a trade anyway). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I'm of the assumption that the more time that passes after Rodgers darkness retreat that we haven't heard anything, the more likely it is that he's going to be traded, then it is that he's retiring or staying a Packer. 

Agreed. There's no reason to keep it quiet if he decides to return to GB. That would be known almost immediately I think.

2 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

I'm of the assumption that the more time that passes after Rodgers darkness retreat that we haven't heard anything, the more likely it is that he's going to be traded, then it is that he's retiring or staying a Packer. With that said, I just hope that if he IS traded that it's with an emphasis on the 2024 Draft Picks and not the 2023 Draft Picks (Probably in the Minority here) but I think that puts us in a better position then the 13th pick or the 7th pick (Doubt we get that in a trade anyway). 

Combine is Feb 28th to March 6th.  Lots of conversations and interactions between teams on potential trades.  not that those things are not happening now, but that is a prime time for teams to interact with the other 31 teams.  It also gives the QB needy teams a chance to meet with the QB prospects and teams can gauge how the QB's might slot out in the draft.   That may drive some teams that could be on the outside of the rookie QB option to look at other avenues.  

League year starts march 15th at 400 PM EST.

I am not anticipating any news/decision on the Rodgers front until sometime between March 6th and March 15th

• Like 3