Rodgers to the Jets Trade Discussion

pgwingman

2023 Rodgers  

100 members have voted

1. 1. Which team gives Rodgers the best shot in 2023?

• Packers
    • Somewhere else

Wait, Gute said two safeties who moved on? Amos and who? Ford?

Excited about at least one chance to get a new safety.

Still think safety is the most underrated position in football. NOT the most important or anything, but most underrated.

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Still think safety is the most underrated position in football. NOT the most important or anything, but most underrated.

Actually hope they bring Ford back. He's a very good STer and above-average option on defensive. Hopefully he meant Savage when he said "two" lol. 

11 minutes ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Is it safe to assume that Rodgers will play for another team? I would be surprised if he chose to retire, even more so if he agreed to become Love's backup/mentor.

I can't envision a team that Rodgers wouldn't implode from the inside out if he's the backup the Love.  

29 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, I was trying to figure out who the 2nd safety was.  That's certainly a position of opportunity for players.  Not sure I'm super excited about any of the next-man-up safeties currently on the roster.  

https://overthecap.com/the-salary-cap-impact-of-trading-for-aaron-rodgers#:~:text=The contract would eliminate the,in dead money in 2025.

Old article, but just to bring it back.  Helps to process the cap hit a trade would have on a buying team.  

1. Says there is no "no-trade" in the contract.  Packers could hypothetically trade him without his permission.
  2. But nobody will want to trade for him without his assurance that he'll play.
  3. And the cap hit after the 1st year would be rough on an acquiring team. 
  4. Looks to me like *IF* anybody was interested, and *IF* Rodgers was willing, that Gute might be wise to trade him for nothing.  Clear the deck, turn the page, move forward, and get on with the future.  
  5. But expecting a buyer to take on his contract AND be giving meaningful draft pick(s) in exchange, seems unrealistic.  
  6. To me, given how locked into his own past offense he is, and how much difficulty he's had in adjusting to new receivers, whether rookies or veterans, I admit I'm somewhat hesitant to think he'd be that appealing as a one-year guy?  Other than Las Vegas, won't he burn his whole one-year just getting adjusted to the new guys? 

If you average out the cap hit in the contract, because of the cheap first year, it's not the end of the ballgame.  Of course, this could be re-structured again by the new team and the player.

Ol Rodg is a big boy now.  A veteran QB should be able to "adjust" quickly.  The key is to have talent around him.  The Titans would already have talent around him.  The Jets are young but talented, I'm sure Ol Rodg could bring a couple of boy type friends with him for comfort.  The Raiders have an old and talented friend waiting for him, and he could also bring some more friends.  But that team would have to invest in some real veteran talent especially O-Line.  Fortunately, they have the cap room to do it.

Edited by 15412
  • Like 1

Still don't think the Packers should simply shut the door on an NFC trade. If the comp is right, ship him to Carolina, NO or Tampa, who cares? 

Agree on Tennessee. Their passing game is even worse than ours from a personnel standpoint. 

1 hour ago, fistfullofbeer said:

Is it safe to assume that Rodgers will play for another team? I would be surprised if he chose to retire, even more so if he agreed to become Love's backup/mentor.

There's talk Brady might come back......which would make for two "un-retirements"........